Linear Algebra Maple Problem: Finding Basis Coordinates in a Vector Space

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coordinates of an element in a vector space using a set of basis vectors. The suggested solution involves using matrix inverse in maple to calculate the coordinates. The conversation ends with the person thanking the expert for reminding them about elementary linear algebra.
bartadam
say I have a set of basis vectors of a vector space v1, v2...vn and some element of the vector space, say V

What command do I use in maple to calculate the coordinates of V in this basis? I can't find one in the linalg package

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the commands in maple (this is something I'd usually do in MATLAB or octave) but the problem is just one of matrix inverse. If you make a matrix M, with columns comprising the basis vectors, then the basis cordinates of V are simply inv(M)V

uart said:
I don't know the commands in maple (this is something I'd usually do in MATLAB or octave) but the problem is just one of matrix inverse. If you make a matrix M, with columns comprising the basis vectors, then the basis cordinates of V are simply inv(M)V

Thanks, yeah it dawned on me sorted it. Forgot my elementary linear algebra.

Thank for your reply.

Related to Linear Algebra Maple Problem: Finding Basis Coordinates in a Vector Space

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and linear transformations to solve problems related to systems of linear equations and geometric transformations.

2. How is linear algebra used in real life?

Linear algebra has various applications in real life, including computer graphics, data compression, optimization problems in engineering and economics, and machine learning. It is also used in physics and other sciences to model and analyze systems with multiple variables.

3. What is Maple in linear algebra?

Maple is a computer algebra system that is commonly used in various fields of science and engineering, including linear algebra. It allows for the manipulation and calculation of mathematical expressions, equations, and functions, making it useful for solving complex linear algebra problems.

4. How can I solve a linear algebra problem using Maple?

To solve a linear algebra problem using Maple, you can input the problem as a system of equations or matrices and use built-in functions and commands to perform operations such as row reduction, matrix multiplication, and finding solutions. You can also use Maple's programming capabilities to create custom scripts for specific problems.

5. Is Maple the only software for solving linear algebra problems?

No, there are other software options available for solving linear algebra problems, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Python libraries like NumPy and SciPy. Each software has its own strengths and features, so it is important to select the one that best suits your needs and preferences.