Linear algebra. Problem with vector spaces dimension

In summary, the problem involves a vector space of 2 by 2 matrices and a subspace of matrices with a specific property. The main question is to determine the dimension of this subspace. Additional questions involve proving the dimension, finding other subspaces isomorphic to the given subspace, and determining if a larger subspace contains the given subspace. The given equations suggest that the dimension of the subspace is 3.
sphlanx

Homework Statement

First of all sorry if my terminology sounds a bit weird, i have never studied mathematics in english before.

So this is the problem: We have the space R^2x2 of all the tables with numbers in R. We also have a subspace V of R^2x2 of all the tables with the following property: "If x,y is the first row and z,w the second row then: 3x+8y+5z+w=0. The main question is what is the dimV? There are more questions but i think i can solve them if I know dimV!
//EDIT: I will add a few more questions that i see i have a hard time solving even if I take into account that dimV=3
a) How to prove that dimV=3(i believe it is 3 because the subspace of the solution set of the linear system I provided is 3dimensonial)
b) Is there any other subspace of R^2x2 different BUT isomorphic with V
c) If D a subspace of R^2x2 with dimD=4 then D "contains" V
d) Is there any other subspace of R^2x2, isoporphic to V, that intersected with V has only one element, the zero element.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)I can see that with the given equation not all of the variables are linear independent. This makes me think that dimV=3 but i can't figure out a way to prove it!
b)I believe the answer is YES. In a previous homework there was the same question about 2-dimensional subspaces and I replied yes because I can think of 2 planes crossing. I am not sure if 3 dimensional spaces can "cross" though.
c) Not a clue :P

Thanks in advance! (the deadline is tommorow Saturday at 24:00 so i would appreciate a quick answer!)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sphlanx said:

Homework Statement

First of all sorry if my terminology sounds a bit weird, i have never studied mathematics in english before.

So this is the problem: We have the space R^2x2 of all the tables with numbers in R. We also have a subspace V of R^2x2 of all the tables with the following property: "If x,y is the first row and z,w the second row then: 3x+8y+5z+w=0."
The correct word is "matrices", not "tables". "Arrays" and "tables" do not have the addition and multiplication operations that matrices do and addition and scalar multiplication are necessary for a vector space.

The main question is what is the dimV? There are more questions but i think i can solve them if I know dimV!
//EDIT: I will add a few more questions that i see i have a hard time solving even if I take into account that dimV=3
a) How to prove that dimV=3(i believe it is 3 because the subspace of the solution set of the linear system I provided is 3dimensonial)
The given vector space of 2 by 2 matrices is, of course, 4 dimensional and, generally, one equation restricting the components reduces the dimension by 1. More precisely, you can solve the given equation for one of the components, say w= -3x- 8y- 5z. Then you can write the matrices as
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}x & y \\ z & w\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}x & y \\ z & -3x- 8y- 5z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]= \begin{bmatrix}x & 0 \\ 0 & -3x\end{bmatrix}+ \begin{bmatrix}0 & y \\ 0 & -8y\end{bmatrix}+ \begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 \\ z & -5z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]= x\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & -3\end{bmatrix}+ y\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 0 & -8\end{bmatrix}+ z\begin{bmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 1 & -5\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

b) Is there any other subspace of R^2x2 different BUT isomorphic with V
All subspaces of the same dimension are isomorphic. Try just moving the components around.

c) If D a subspace of R^2x2 with dimD=4 then D "contains" V
Unless I have completely misunderstood what "R^2x2", the only subspace of dimension 4 is R^2x2 itself.

d) Is there any other subspace of R^2x2, isoporphic to V, that intersected with V has only one element, the zero element.
If V has dimension 3 than any subspace that intersects V only at the zero element must have dimension 1.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)I can see that with the given equation not all of the variables are linear independent. This makes me think that dimV=3 but i can't figure out a way to prove it!
b)I believe the answer is YES. In a previous homework there was the same question about 2-dimensional subspaces and I replied yes because I can think of 2 planes crossing. I am not sure if 3 dimensional spaces can "cross" though.
c) Not a clue :P

Thanks in advance! (the deadline is tommorow Saturday at 24:00 so i would appreciate a quick answer!)

I understand the importance of clear and precise terminology, so thank you for acknowledging that English is not your first language.

To solve this problem, we can use the concept of linear independence. In a vector space, a set of vectors is linearly independent if no vector in the set can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors. In other words, the vectors are not redundant and each one adds a unique direction to the space.

In this case, we have the subspace V where each table has a specific property based on the values in its rows. This property can be written as a linear equation, which means that the vectors in V are not linearly independent - they are all related to each other through this equation.

To determine the dimension of V, we can use the fact that the dimension of a subspace is equal to the number of linearly independent vectors it contains. Since the vectors in V are not linearly independent, we need to find a set of linearly independent vectors that span V.

One way to do this is to consider the different values that the vectors in V can take on. In this case, the first row has two variables, x and y, and the second row has two variables, z and w. Therefore, we can choose two linearly independent vectors, one with x=1 and y=0 and the other with x=0 and y=1. Similarly, for the second row, we can choose two linearly independent vectors with z=1 and w=0, and z=0 and w=1.

These four vectors form a basis for V, meaning that any vector in V can be written as a linear combination of these four vectors. However, since we only need two linearly independent vectors to span V, the dimension of V is 2.

To answer the additional questions, we can use the same approach. For b), we can think of different linear equations that describe the same subspace V. For c), we can use the fact that a subspace with a higher dimension can contain a subspace with a lower dimension. And for d), we can use the concept of isomorphism to find other subspaces that are equivalent to V but only have one element in common with V.

I hope this helps you solve the problem and understand the concept of dimension in vector spaces. Good luck with your homework!

FAQ: Linear algebra. Problem with vector spaces dimension

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects called vectors, and a set of operations that can be performed on these vectors. These operations include addition and scalar multiplication, and they must satisfy certain properties, such as closure and associativity, to be considered a vector space.

2. What is the dimension of a vector space?

The dimension of a vector space is the number of vectors in a basis for that space. A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent any vector in the space. For example, in a two-dimensional vector space, the dimension would be 2, as any vector in that space can be written as a linear combination of two basis vectors.

3. How do you determine the dimension of a vector space?

To determine the dimension of a vector space, you can first find a basis for that space. Then, count the number of basis vectors in the basis. This will give you the dimension of the space. Alternatively, you can use the rank-nullity theorem, which states that the dimension of a vector space is equal to the sum of the rank (number of linearly independent rows) and nullity (number of free variables) of its associated matrix.

4. What is the relationship between the dimension of a vector space and its span?

The dimension of a vector space is equal to the number of vectors in its span. The span of a set of vectors is the set of all possible linear combinations of those vectors. If the vectors in a span are linearly independent, then the dimension of the space will be equal to the number of vectors in the span. However, if the vectors are linearly dependent, then the dimension will be less than the number of vectors in the span.

5. Can the dimension of a vector space change?

No, the dimension of a vector space is a fundamental property of that space and does not change. However, the dimension of a subspace (a subset of a larger vector space) can be different from the dimension of the larger space. Additionally, the dimension of a vector space can be infinite, such as in the case of the vector space of all real numbers.