Linear algebra proof (surprise)

In summary: Also, you should use LaTeX, it'll make life easier.c1*v1+...cn*vn=0c1Av1+...cnAvn=0c1cv1+...cncvn=0c1v1+...cnvn=0This shows that the subset {v1...vn} is linearly independent becausethe coefficients are all 0. This also shows that it's not possibleto have a nontrivial solution to c1v1+...cnvn=0, so the set is independent.Therefore, since v1...vn is a subset of {v1...vn}, the entire set
evilpostingmong

Homework Statement

Prove that if eigenvectors v1, v2...vn are such that for any eigenvalue c
of A, the subset of all these eigenvectors belonging to c is linearly independent,
then the vectors v1,v2..vn are linearly independent.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

One question: How does the fact that a subset is linearly independent
prove that every vector is linearly independent? For example:
if {v1...vi} is linearly independent, i<n but {v1...vn} is not,
then obviously the entire set is not linearly independent, though the
subset is.

Physics news on Phys.org
As an example to start you off:

If vn was in the linear span of v1 through vn-1 and c was an eigenvalue for each vi i<n, then you can prove c is an eigenvalue for vn too fairly easily

Office_Shredder said:
As an example to start you off:

If vn was in the linear span of v1 through vn-1 and c was an eigenvalue for each vi i<n, then you can prove c is an eigenvalue for vn too fairly easily

vn=-c*(a1v1+...+an-1vn-1) so taking some linear combination from <v1...vn-1>
we have c*(a1v1+...+an-1vn-1) but since c(a1v1+...+an-1vn-1)-c(a1v1+...+an-1vn-1)
(or c(a1v1+...+an-1vn-1)-vn)=0
and we can't have c((a1v1+..+an-1vn-1)-(a1v1+...+an-1vn-1))=0 since 0 cannot
be an eigenvector, (c-c)(a1v1+...+an-1vn-1)=0*v1+...+0*vn-1=0 so v1..vn is independent

Why are you even bothering to write this junk? You know that's not a 'proof', right? There is nothing in there that even resembles being a proof. If you can give me a reason why that is NOT a proof, I might give you a hint. You really have to start learning how to recognize when you are writing something that is void of content. Sorry to be harsh, but I'm getting tired of this.

Dick said:
Why are you even bothering to write this junk? You know that's not a 'proof', right? There is nothing in there that even resembles being a proof. If you can give me a reason why that is NOT a proof, I might give you a hint. You really have to start learning how to recognize when you are writing something that is void of content. Sorry to be harsh, but I'm getting tired of this.

it isn't a proof because its not clear? It still doesn't make sense how a subset being
linearly independent guarantees that the set it is in is linearly independent, if my proof
isn't right.

evilpostingmong said:
it isn't a proof because its not clear

That's not good enough. Your first line doesn't even have a "since" before it or a "then" after it. A proof runs like, if A then B, if B then C etc etc. And at the end if Y then Z Where Z is what you want to prove. Your 'proof' shares none of that structure. It's a random fusillade of symbols. It is not a proof. It's not even close. You talk about eigenvectors and you never even mentioned the operator A or the eigenvalues. How is that possible?

evilpostingmong said:
vn=-c*(a1v1+...+an-1vn-1) so taking some linear combination from <v1...vn-1>
we have c*(a1v1+...+an-1vn-1) but since c(a1v1+...+an-1vn-1)-c(a1v1+...+an-1vn-1)
(or c(a1v1+...+an-1vn-1)-vn)=0
and we can't have c((a1v1+..+an-1vn-1)-(a1v1+...+an-1vn-1))=0 since 0 cannot
be an eigenvector, (c-c)(a1v1+...+an-1vn-1)=0*v1+...+0*vn-1=0 so v1..vn is independent

actually I didn't really say how I got vn=-c*(a1v1+..+an-1vn-1).
What I should've done was say how vn is in the span but adding it to the
basis to get a span{v1...vn} makes this set not linearly independent, so
setting c(a1v1+...+an-1vn-1)+vn=0 gives vn=-c(a1v1+...+an-1vn-1)
I guess that's one mistake-didn't be explicit enough.

edit: You posted 6 before I posted 7 so I'll consider your explanation and I'll
rewrite the proof.

I didn't "explain" anything. I haven't even given you a hint yet. I want you to understand that that what you are writing is garbage and give me a good reason why before I give a hint. You have to start learning to introspect. I.e. read you own writing.

evilpostingmong said:
actually I didn't really say how I got vn=-c*(a1v1+..+an-1vn-1).
What I should've done was say how vn is in the span but adding it to the
basis to get a span{v1...vn} makes this set not linearly independent, so
setting c(a1v1+...+an-1vn-1)+vn=0 gives vn=-c(a1v1+...+an-1vn-1)
I guess that's one mistake-didn't be explicit enough.

edit: You posted 6 before I posted 7 so I'll consider your explanation and I'll
rewrite the proof.

Ok, I'll bite. So how is vn in the span? Of what? Why?

Dick said:
Ok, I'll bite. So how is vn in the span? Of what? Why?
Define a basis of the space V as <v1...vn-1> with dimV=n-1
and with Avi=cvi (with 1<=i<=n-1, and with A being the operator).
The set v1...vn-1 is linearly independent, by definition of a basis.
Consider the span{v1...vn} and let vn be a vector
within the span of V, so Avn=cvn as is Avi=cvi. Since
<v1...vn-1> is within {v1...vn}, the basis is a subset of {v1...vn}. (ok I defined the variables here).

Last edited:
You are making some progress. You did manage to actually define what you are talking about. It is true that if <v1...vn-1> are eigenvectors with eigenvalue c then any linear combination of them also has eigenvalue c. The proof could use a little work in terms of being explicit, but that's still ok. And after reading stuff you've posted before, I'm not going to diminish that accomplishment. Are you supposed to assume all of the basis vectors are eigenvectors? if so write c1*v1+...cn*vn=0 and operate on both sides of the equation with (A-cI) where c is an eigenvalue. What happens?

Dick said:
You are making some progress. You did manage to actually define what you are talking about. It is true that if <v1...vn-1> are eigenvectors with eigenvalue c then any linear combination of them also has eigenvalue c. The proof could use a little work in terms of being explicit, but that's still ok. And after reading stuff you've posted before, I'm not going to diminish that accomplishment. Are you supposed to assume all of the basis vectors are eigenvectors? if so write c1*v1+...cn*vn=0 and operate on both sides of the equation with (A-cI) where c is an eigenvalue. What happens?

That's good, Rome wasn't built in a day, but at least something is being built :biggrin:

We have a linear combination from the span {v1...vn} as c1v1+...+cnvn.
Applying A-cI to this equation gives A(c1v1+...+cnvn)-c(c1v1+...+cnvn)=0
or A(c1v1+...+cnvn)=c(c1v1+...+cnvn). Is this what I should've done?

Last edited:
I'm going to give you the idea in words. Start by writing 0=a1*v1+...+an*vn. You want to prove all of the ai's must be zero. If ALL of the v's corresponded to the SAME eigenvalue then you would be done. Because the problem says to assume that the subset of vectors corresponding to a single eigenvector is linearly independent. And if {v1...vn} were linearly independent, you know the ai's must be zero. Following this so far? The problem is that the vi's correspond to several DIFFERENT eigenvalues. Hmm, you should say, is there some way to eliminate all of the eigenvectors corresponding to all but one eigenvalue? Then you would have the much simpler case. Now how can you use (A-cI)v=0 if v is an eigenvector with eigenvalue c? In words, (A-cI) will wipe out any terms in the sum corresponding to the eigenvalue c.

Last edited:

Related to Linear algebra proof (surprise)

1. What is a linear algebra proof?

A linear algebra proof is a mathematical method used to demonstrate the validity of a statement or theorem in the field of linear algebra. It involves using logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to show that a given statement is true.

2. Why are linear algebra proofs important?

Linear algebra proofs are important because they help us understand the underlying principles and concepts of linear algebra, which is essential in many fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. They also help us develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. How do you approach a linear algebra proof?

The first step in approaching a linear algebra proof is to carefully read and understand the statement or theorem that needs to be proven. Then, identify the key concepts and definitions involved. Next, use logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to connect the concepts and arrive at a solution. It is also important to clearly present each step and provide a logical justification for it.

4. What are some common techniques used in linear algebra proofs?

Some common techniques used in linear algebra proofs include mathematical induction, direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by contrapositive. Other techniques may involve using properties of matrices, vectors, and systems of linear equations.

5. Are there any tips for writing a successful linear algebra proof?

Yes, some tips for writing a successful linear algebra proof include carefully reading and understanding the statement, breaking down the problem into smaller steps, providing clear and concise explanations for each step, using appropriate notation and terminology, and checking your work for errors. It is also helpful to practice and seek feedback from others to improve your proof-writing skills.