Linear Algebra Question, tilting plane angle?

If I do this then I am also confused by the first problem. I understand that linear transformations can be represented by matrices, but I am having trouble seeing how the functions given can be represented in such a way.
Canadian
[SOLVED] Linear Algebra Question, tilting plane angle?

Homework Statement

A million years ago, an alien species built a vertical tower on a horizontal plane. When they returned they discovered that the ground had tilted so that measurements of 3 points on the ground gave coordinates of (0, 0, 0), (3, 1, 0), and (0, 2, 1). By what angle does the tower now deviate from the vertical?

Homework Equations

cross product, dot product.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure that I have the theory, what I'm not sure on is where the x, y and z axis are in relation to "horizontal" and "vertical". I'm thinking that to find the answer I need to use the normals of the planes (found by cross product of two vectors derived from points). I would then use a modified dot product formula to get the angle.

The stumbling block I'm running into is assigning points (and therefor vectors and a plane) to the "horizontal plane" in the question, which (x, y, or z) is pointing "up". If I take z as the upward axis I get,

Original plane: normal (0,0,1)
Tilted plane: points, (0,0,0), (3,1,0), and (0,2,1), to get vectors (3,1,0), and (0,2,1). cross product to get normal of (1,-3, 6),

use dot product to get that the angle must be (cos-1)(6/(sqrt(46))

Am I on the right track??

Edited to add, I am having trouble with some linear transformation problems too so have added them too. Thanks! one has an attempted solution (wrong) the other I am completely stuck on but have the theory on the bottom right.

Homework Statement

I'm not sure how to take the theory we learned and apply it to this question.

math2.jpg

Homework Statement

Attempted solution, is wrong. The original question reads.

math3.jpg

math1.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Canadian said:

Homework Statement

A million years ago, an alien species built a vertical tower on a horizontal plane. When they returned they discovered that the ground had tilted so that measurements of 3 points on the ground gave coordinates of (0, 0, 0), (3, 1, 0), and (0, 2, 1). By what angle does the tower now deviate from the vertical?

Homework Equations

cross product, dot product.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure that I have the theory, what I'm not sure on is where the x, y and z axis are in relation to "horizontal" and "vertical". I'm thinking that to find the answer I need to use the normals of the planes (found by cross product of two vectors derived from points). I would then use a modified dot product formula to get the angle.

The stumbling block I'm running into is assigning points (and therefor vectors and a plane) to the "horizontal plane" in the question, which (x, y, or z) is pointing "up". If I take z as the upward axis I get,

Original plane: normal (0,0,1)
Tilted plane: points, (0,0,0), (3,1,0), and (0,2,1), to get vectors (3,1,0), and (0,2,1). cross product to get normal of (1,-3, 6),

use dot product to get that the angle must be (cos-1)(6/(sqrt(46))

Am I on the right track??
Yes, that's exactly the way I would do it.

Edited to add, I am having trouble with some linear transformation problems too so have added them too. Thanks! one has an attempted solution (wrong) the other I am completely stuck on but have the theory on the bottom right.
Which problem is which? The first one gives a number of functions and asks you to tell which are linear transformations: any linear transformation on a finite dimensional space (all these spaces are finite dimensional) can be written as a matrix multiplication. In particular, that means that each component of the result is a sum of numbers times the components of the orginal vector. It should be easy to see which are.

Homework Statement

I'm not sure how to take the theory we learned and apply it to this question.

math2.jpg

Homework Statement

Attempted solution, is wrong. The original question reads.

math3.jpg

math1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

In your last problem, it's not clear to me what you intend "c1" and "c2" to be!

What I would do is write [x, y] as a linear combination of [-1, 2] and [1, -3]. That is, find c1, c2 such that x= -c1+ c2, y= 2c1- 3c2. Of course they will depend on x and y.
Since you are told That T[-1,2]= [17, -19] and that T[1, -3]= [-24, 24], you have T[x,y]= c1T[-1,2]+ c2T[1, -3]= c1[17, -19]+ c2[-24, 24].

Alien question is solved, thank you for your help.

The first one gives a number of functions and asks you to tell which are linear transformations: any linear transformation on a finite dimensional space (all these spaces are finite dimensional) can be written as a matrix multiplication. In particular, that means that each component of the result is a sum of numbers times the components of the orginal vector. It should be easy to see which are.

I still am not getting this question, I think I am making it more complicated than it needs to be. Would you be able to give me an example of how this works (using one from the question or another)?

In your last problem, it's not clear to me what you intend "c1" and "c2" to be!

What I would do is write [x, y] as a linear combination of [-1, 2] and [1, -3]. That is, find c1, c2 such that x= -c1+ c2, y= 2c1- 3c2. Of course they will depend on x and y.
Since you are told That T[-1,2]= [17, -19] and that T[1, -3]= [-24, 24], you have T[x,y]= c1T[-1,2]+ c2T[1, -3]= c1[17, -19]+ c2[-24, 24].

Thanks, I am really not sure myself, I was basing my work off of a problem we worked in class. I was trying to solve the problem by finding the standard matrix then transforming the arbitrary point (x, y) using that matrix. I was reading the question as it asking what the vector (x,y) would be after performing the transformation on it. I am still confused by this question.

If I do this my standard matrix comes back to be,

[ -3 7]
[ 9 -5]

Then (x,y) will be (6x, 2y) but this is wrong.

My goodness this shouldn't be this hard!

Last edited:
To take an easy one, if y1= 3x1+ 2x2, y2= 4, y3= 5x1+ 2x2+ 3x3, I would decide immediately that this is NOT a linear transfromation by looking at the formula for y2: If x1, x2, x3 were doubled y2 would not change at all. Yet, from T(2v)= 2T(v), it would have to double as well.

Another easy one: If y1= x1*x2, y2 and y3 could be anything by I already know this is not LINEAR! In particular, if 2v= (2x1, 2x2, 2x3) then y1 changes to (2x1)(2x2)= 4x1*x2, not twice.

ANY linear transformation must be of the form y1= a1x1+ a2x2+a3x3, y2= b1x1+ b2x2+ b3x3, y3= c1x1+ c2x2+ c3x3: sums of numbers times the components. Anything else is not a linear transformation and cannot satisfy T(av)= aT(v), T(u+ v)= T(u)+ T(v).

Great thanks!

FAQ: Linear Algebra Question, tilting plane angle?

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and linear transformations to solve equations and analyze systems.

2. What is a tilting plane angle?

A tilting plane angle is the angle between a plane and a horizontal surface. It is usually measured in degrees and is used to describe the slope or inclination of a plane.

3. How is linear algebra used to calculate tilting plane angles?

Linear algebra is used to represent the equations and variables involved in calculating the tilting plane angle. Matrices and vectors are used to represent the different components of the plane, such as its normal vector and the direction of its slope. By solving these equations using linear algebra techniques, the tilting plane angle can be determined.

4. What are some real-life applications of tilting plane angles?

Tilting plane angles are commonly used in engineering and construction to determine the stability and slope of structures such as buildings and bridges. They are also used in physics to calculate the forces and motion of objects on inclined planes.

5. Can linear algebra be used to solve more complex tilting plane problems?

Yes, linear algebra can be used to solve more complex tilting plane problems involving multiple planes or variables. By using advanced techniques such as eigenvectors and eigenvalues, the equations can be simplified and the solutions can be found more efficiently.