Linear Algebra Reference for Quantum Mechanics Topics

In summary, there are several recommended books for studying linear algebra and its applications in quantum mechanics. These include "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, "Algebra" by Serge Lang, "Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces" by Paul Halmos, and "Principles and Techniques of Applied Mathematics" by Bernard Friedman. These books cover topics such as vector spaces, operators, matrices, eigenvectors, and eigenvalues in an abstract and mathematical manner, making them useful for understanding quantum mechanics. Other suggested resources include "Quantum Computation and Information" by Michael Nielsen and Isaac Chuang, and "Tensor Geometry: The Geometric Viewpoint and Its Uses" by C.T.J. Dod
theophyman
hello,
is there a reference book in linar algebra that covers topics found in studying quantum mechanics like: vector spaces, operators , matrix , eigenvectors and eigenvalues.
i mean not a physics book, i want a mathematics book that talks about these notions and others in an abstarct way (not dedicated to quantum mechanics)

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Any book on linear algebra will do. My favorite is Axler.

Note that linear algebra is the mathematics of linear operators between finite-dimensional vector spaces, but we often have to deal with infinite-dimensional vector spaces in QM. The mathematics of linear operators between infinite-dimensional vector spaces is called functional analysis, but you can understand QM very well without ever opening up a book on functional analysis, because linear algebra will give you the right intuition about things. (A lot of results about finite-dimensional vector spaces hold for infinite-dimensional ones too, but the proofs are often much, much harder). If you want to check out a book on functional analysis, Kreyszig is probably the best choice. I haven't read it myself, but it's getting very good reviews.

thank you,
but isn't there a book that talk about vector spaces in an abstract manner like the mathematicians do?

Any book on linear algebra or functional analysis meets that requirement. (In particular the ones I recommended).

Edit: I realize now that you were answering Qubix, not me.

Take a look at
Bernard Friedman, "Principles and Techniques of Applied
Mathematics" (John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1956).
Don't let its age keep you away from it. The math has not changed in 50 years. It is still a great book today.

Fredrik said:
Any book on linear algebra or functional analysis meets that requirement. (In particular the ones I recommended).

Edit: I realize now that you were answering Qubix, not me.

yes i mean Qubix.
thank you for your explanation about algebra of finit and infinit dimensional spaces.

and the book of axler:Linear algebra done right is a great book. thank you.:smile:

eaglelake said:
Take a look at
Bernard Friedman, "Principles and Techniques of Applied
Mathematics" (John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1956).
Don't let its age keep you away from it. The math has not changed in 50 years. It is still a great book today.

thank you, but that book is not dedicated to linear algebra, perhaps the first two chapters are about linar algebra.

Fredrik said:
Any book on linear algebra will do. My favorite is Axler.

i have that great book in hands, and i am reading it, it covers most of the linear algebra found in quantum mechanics,and it treats linar algebra in abstract way, it has exercises with solutions (separate solutions manual). good book.

You could also look at Paul Halmos: "Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces". He had in mind when writing it proofs that would generalise readily to the infinite dimensional case whenever possible (and has also written a dedicated book on Hilbert Space).

theophyman said:
thank you,
but isn't there a book that talk about vector spaces in an abstract manner like the mathematicians do?

Sheldon Axler - Linear Algebra done Right

or, if you really want to learn algebra the mathematician's way

Serge Lang - Algebra (but it's pretty difficult and deep, most of it is useless for quantum mechanics)

Serge Lang's 'Algebra' made me cry, wet the bed, and forget the FOIL method before my head just burst like a tick. I wouldn't wish that tome a physicist if they smacked me! :smile:

If you seriously want the underlying maths you will need Affine spaces as well as linear ones.

Tensor Geometry: The geometric viewpoint and its uses

by C T J Dodson and T Poston

is the ideal book.

muppet said:
You could also look at Paul Halmos: "Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces". He had in mind when writing it proofs that would generalise readily to the infinite dimensional case whenever possible (and has also written a dedicated book on Hilbert Space).

yes , it is a great book too, i had found it in references section of a "quantum computation and information" book.

and i thank all of you who had contributed to this thread. your informations and suggestions are great.:smile:

theophyman said:
yes , it is a great book too, i had found it in references section of a "quantum computation and information" book.

and i thank all of you who had contributed to this thread. your informations and suggestions are great.:smile:

Yup, nothing like a really hot reading list to get the blood pumping right?! :smile:

Qubix said:
Sheldon Axler - Linear Algebra done Right

or, if you really want to learn algebra the mathematician's way

Serge Lang - Algebra (but it's pretty difficult and deep, most of it is useless for quantum mechanics)

yes, it is an advanced book,
Serge Lang has other books about linear algebra such as:"Linear algebra" and "introduction to linear algebra"

Related to Linear Algebra Reference for Quantum Mechanics Topics

1. What is linear algebra and why is it important in quantum mechanics?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their relationships with vectors and matrices. It is important in quantum mechanics because it provides a mathematical framework for describing and analyzing the behavior of quantum systems, which can have complex and non-intuitive properties.

2. What are the basic concepts of linear algebra that are relevant to quantum mechanics?

Some basic concepts of linear algebra that are relevant to quantum mechanics include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and inner product spaces. These concepts are used to represent and manipulate quantum states, operators, and measurements.

3. How is linear algebra used to represent quantum states?

In quantum mechanics, quantum states are represented by vectors in a complex vector space. These vectors, known as state vectors or wavefunctions, contain information about the probability amplitudes of different states of a quantum system. The principles of superposition and unitary evolution, which are fundamental in quantum mechanics, are mathematically described using linear algebra.

4. How are matrices used to represent quantum operators?

Quantum operators, which represent physical observables in quantum mechanics, are represented by matrices in linear algebra. These matrices act on state vectors to produce new state vectors, representing the result of a measurement or a change in the system's state. The eigenvalues and eigenvectors of these matrices correspond to the possible outcomes and states of the quantum system, respectively.

5. Can you give an example of a quantum mechanics problem that can be solved using linear algebra?

One example is the calculation of the energy levels of a quantum system, such as an electron in an atom. This problem involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the energy of the system. Using the principles of linear algebra, the energy levels and corresponding wavefunctions can be determined, providing valuable insights into the behavior of the system.