[Linear Algebra] rotational matrices

In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem but is having trouble understanding what is being asked. They tried to do it graphically but it wasn't successful. They need to multiply the matrices and do it graphically.
Delta what

Homework Statement

Prove Rθ+φ =Rθ+Rφ Where Rθ is equal to the 2x2 rotational matrix
[cos(θ) sin(θ),
-sin(θ) cos(θ)]

Homework Equations

I am having a hard time trying figure our what is being asked. My question is can anyone put this into words? I am having trouble understanding what the phi may mean?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this graphical by plotting x and y vectors doing a rotation and plotting those and taking the product of the two rotations or x and y and finding the rotation of x+y. I don't think this is even on the right track and there must be a much simpler way to do this than graphically.

Physics news on Phys.org
A proper graphic can at least show you the way how to do it. You need only one vector at the center of rotation and then rotate it in two steps, e.g. by using a compass. Do you know what the consecutive application of two rotations mean to the two rotation matrices?

Delta what said:
Prove Rθ+φ =Rθ+Rφ

This seems wrong. Are you sure that you copied it correctly?

fresh_42 said:
A proper graphic can at least show you the way how to do it. You need only one vector at the center of rotation and then rotate it in two steps, e.g. by using a compass. Do you know what the consecutive application of two rotations mean to the two rotation matrices?
micromass said:
This seems wrong. Are you sure that you copied it correctly?
You are write that it isn't correct it should be Rθ+φ =Rθ*Rφ
THANK YOU!

fresh_42 said:
And have you multiplied the two?
No I have not because I am unsure as to what Rφ is.

fresh_42 said:
No I am not familiar with what two applications of the rotation means.

Delta what said:
No I have not because I am unsure as to what Rφ is.
The same as with ##θ##. So ##R_φ = \begin{bmatrix}\cos φ && \sin φ \\ -\sin φ && \cos φ\end{bmatrix}##.
Delta what said:
No I am not familiar with what two applications of the rotation means.
It means to do one rotation by ##φ## applied to some original vector ##v## and then another rotation by ##θ## applied to the resulting vector of the first.
In terms of matrices, it is - as you wrote - ## (R_θ \cdot R_φ) (v) = R_θ ( R_φ (v)) ##, i.e. you will have to multiply the two matrices.
The addition theorems for ##\cos## and ##\sin## should give you the required result.

And you can (and in my opinion should) do all this graphically, too. It will give you a nice proof of the addition theorems.

Related to [Linear Algebra] rotational matrices

1. What is a rotational matrix?

A rotational matrix is a type of transformation matrix used in linear algebra to represent rotations in 2D or 3D space. It is a square matrix that can be used to rotate vectors or objects around a fixed point.

2. How do rotational matrices work?

Rotational matrices work by multiplying them with a vector or object's coordinates. The result is a new set of coordinates that represent the rotated form of the original object. The entries in the matrix determine the amount and direction of the rotation.

3. What are the properties of a rotational matrix?

One of the main properties of a rotational matrix is that it is an orthogonal matrix, meaning its columns and rows are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other. It also has a determinant of 1, indicating that it preserves the orientation of the object being rotated.

4. How are rotational matrices used in real life?

Rotational matrices are used in various applications, such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. They are used to rotate objects in 3D animations, determine the orientation of objects in space, and calculate the movement of objects in robotic arms, among other things.

5. Can rotational matrices be combined with other transformations?

Yes, rotational matrices can be combined with other types of transformation matrices, such as translation and scaling matrices. This allows for more complex transformations, such as rotating an object around a specific point while also scaling it.