Linear Algebra solution to a system of equations

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a system of equations with more equations than unknowns. The equations are put into a matrix and reduced to row reduced echelon form, resulting in two independent equations and a solution with one free variable. The rank of the matrix is 2 and the dimension of the nullspace is 1. The solution is confirmed to be correct.
csgirl504

Homework Statement

x + y+ z = 0
3x + 2y -2z = 0
4x + 3y -z = 0
6x + 5y + z = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I put the equations into a matrix and reduced to RREF. This is what I end up with:

x - 4z = 0
y + 5z = 0

The other two rows in the matrix are all zeroes.

I've never solved a system that had more equations than unknowns, so I'm confused on how many free variables I will need. Right now I have this as my solution:

x = 4t
y = -5t
z = t

Physics news on Phys.org
csgirl504 said:

Homework Statement

x + y+ z = 0
3x + 2y -2z = 0
4x + 3y -z = 0
6x + 5y + z = 0

Homework Equations

I put the equations into a matrix and reduced to RREF. This is what I end up with:

x - 4z = 0
y + 5z = 0

The other two rows in the matrix are all zeroes.

I've never solved a system that had more equations than unknowns, so I'm confused on how many free variables I will need. Right now I have this as my solution:

x = 4t
y = -5t
z = t

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

And that is just fine as a solution. There are really only two independent equations in there. The third one is the sum of the first two equations. The fourth is three times the first equation added to the second. They are redundant, as your RREF showed you.

Last edited:
If you write the system of the equations in matrix form and you perform elementary row operations and put the matrix into row reduced echelon form then what is the rank of the matrix ? (Hint...which columns are independent and which are dependent ?) If the rank is r and the number of columns is n then n-r = the dimension of the nullspace for the coeficient matrix = the number of free variables. In this case the dimension for the nullspace is 1 since n - r = 3 - 2 = 1 and a basis for the nullspace is the vector c(4, -5, 1). So if c = 1 then x = 4, y = -5, z=1 is a solution. In other words you are correct.

Related to Linear Algebra solution to a system of equations

1. What is a linear algebra solution to a system of equations?

A linear algebra solution to a system of equations is a method for finding the values of variables in a set of equations that satisfy all of the equations at once. This means that the solution must work for each equation individually as well as for the entire system as a whole.

2. How does linear algebra solve systems of equations?

Linear algebra uses matrix operations, such as Gaussian elimination and matrix inversion, to simplify a system of equations into a form that is easier to solve. By manipulating the equations using these operations, the solution can be found by back substitution or using other techniques.

3. What are some applications of using linear algebra to solve systems of equations?

Linear algebra solutions to systems of equations are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, economics, and computer science. Some common applications include solving for unknown forces in a mechanical system, finding the optimal solution for a linear programming problem, and predicting the behavior of a system using mathematical models.

4. Can linear algebra solutions to systems of equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, a system of equations can have multiple solutions, no solutions, or a unique solution. In the case of multiple solutions, this means that there are multiple sets of values for the variables that satisfy all of the equations. In the case of no solutions, there is no set of values that can satisfy all of the equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using linear algebra to solve systems of equations?

Linear algebra can only be used to solve systems of linear equations, which means that each equation must be in the form of a linear combination of variables. Non-linear equations, such as those involving exponents, logarithms, or trigonometric functions, cannot be solved using linear algebra methods.