Linear Algebra Systems of Equations

It should be BA.In summary, to rewrite the given systems as Ax=y and By=z, the matrices A and B are determined to be:A = -2 -1 22 2 -3-2 -2 2B = 3 -4 -33 -1 -4To find the matrix C, which satisfies Cx=z, we multiply A and B in the order BA, resulting in the matrix:C = -6 3 36 -5 -3-6 5 3To find the RREF matrix D which is row equivalent to the augmented matrix
lina29

Homework Statement

Consider the following two system of equations:

y[itex]_{1}[/itex]=-2x[itex]_{1}[/itex]-x[itex]_{2}[/itex]+2x[itex]_{3}[/itex]
y[itex]_{2}[/itex]=2x[itex]_{1}[/itex]+2x[itex]_{2}[/itex]-3x[itex]_{3}[/itex]
y[itex]_{3}[/itex]=-2x[itex]_{1}[/itex]-2x[itex]_{2}[/itex]+2x[itex]_{3}[/itex]

and

z[itex]_{1}[/itex]=3y[itex]_{1}[/itex]-4y[itex]_{2}[/itex]-3y[itex]_{3}[/itex]
z[itex]_{1}[/itex]=3y[itex]_{1}[/itex]-y[itex]_{2}[/itex]-4y[itex]_{3}[/itex]

Rewrite these 2 systems as Ax=y and By=z. Use this to get C so that Cx=z.
a) What is the matrix C?

B) Find the RREF matrix D which is row equivalent to the augmented matrix [C|z]

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial thought was that the matrix A would be:
-2 -1 2
2 2 -3
-2 -2 2

and matrix B:
3 -4 -3
3 -1 -4
and that C would be the product of A and B. However, I realized that since the column of A isn't the same as the row of B I couldn't form a product with them. I'm lost on how to find the matrix C. Do I need to invert a matrix in order to find C (the product)?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you don't. Your have Ax= y and By= z. Replace y in the second equation by Ax.

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying the matrix A is right but I would have to substitute matrix B with Ax instead of y? I don't get how I would replace y with Ax. My thought is that i would multiply the coefficients of y in the matrix b with the coefficients of x in matrix a.

lina29 said:
I don't get how I would replace y with Ax.

Well, you had y=Ax and z=By, so replacing y with Ax gives: z=BAx. I think you came across problems because you tried to calculate AB (which is the wrong order).

Related to Linear Algebra Systems of Equations

What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear systems of equations and their properties. It involves the use of algebraic techniques to solve problems involving linear relationships between variables.

What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that contain multiple variables. The solution to the system is the set of values for the variables that satisfy all of the equations simultaneously.

How do you solve a system of linear equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of linear equations, including substitution, elimination, and matrix methods. The most appropriate method to use depends on the specific equations and variables involved.

What is the importance of linear algebra in real-world applications?

Linear algebra has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It can be used to model and solve real-world problems involving linear relationships, such as predicting future trends or optimizing systems.

Can a system of equations have no solution?

Yes, a system of equations can have no solution if the equations are inconsistent, meaning they have no common solution. This can occur when the equations are contradictory or when the number of equations is less than the number of variables.