Linear Algebra vector functions LI or LD

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionCan you combine two of the three to create the third? (Like BIG HINT: -2v+w =u)So {u,v,w} is L.D
Fellowroot

Homework Statement

Determine whether or not the vector functions are linearly dependent?

u=(2t-1,-t) , v= (-t+1,2t) and they are written as columns matrixes.

Homework Equations

Wronskian, but I don't think I should use it because I need to take derivatives so it doesn't seem like it would work.

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the determinate and got (2t-1)(2t) - (-t)(-t+1) =0

got t=0 and t= 1/3

but I don't really know if I am even doing this correctly. I know that if we have just values instead of functions then if the determinate equals 0 then that means that its linear dependent, but again in this case I'm clueless.

Here are two values which make the det zero but not all values of t make the det zero. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fellowroot said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether or not the vector functions are linearly dependent?

u=(2t-1,-t) , v= (-t+1,2t) and they are written as columns matrixes.

Homework Equations

Wronskian, but I don't think I should use it because I need to take derivatives so it doesn't seem like it would work.

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the determinate and got (2t-1)(2t) - (-t)(-t+1) =0

got t=0 and t= 1/3

but I don't really know if I am even doing this correctly. I know that if we have just values instead of functions then if the determinate equals 0 then that means that its linear dependent, but again in this case I'm clueless.

Here are two values which make the det zero but not all values of t make the det zero. Any help is appreciated.
Since the two vector-valued functions are not scalar multiples of each other, the two are obviously linearly independent. Regarding your approach, for the two functions to be linearly dependent, the determinant would have to be identically zero, not just zero for a couple of values of the parameter.

Thank you for the response, but this only leads me to another question.

So the next question is this:

u= (t-t^2, -t) v=(-2t+4t^2,2t) and it asks the same thing as stated in my original post.

So clearly one is not a multiple of another, yet when I find det I get -6t^3=0 so the only solution is that t must be zero for all t, but in the back of the book it says that its actually linear independent?

So does this mean that all I really have to do is look at the two vectors and check if one is a scalar multiple of the other?

Fellowroot said:
Thank you for the response, but this only leads me to another question.

So the next question is this:

u= (t-t^2, -t) v=(-2t+4t^2,2t) and it asks the same thing as stated in my original post.

So clearly one is not a multiple of another,
On the contrary, the second clearly is -2 times the first!

yet when I find det I get -6t^3=0 so the only solution is that t must be zero for all t, but in the back of the book it says that its actually linear independent?
That is, after all what linearly independent means!

So does this mean that all I really have to do is look at the two vectors and check if one is a scalar multiple of the other?
Don't become so focused on "formulas" that you forget the basic definitions. A set of vectors, [itex]\{v_1, v_2, ..., v_n\}[/itex], is "independent" if and only if the only set of numbers, [itex]\{A_1, A_2, ..., A_n\}[/itex] such that [itex]A_1v_1+ A_2v_2+ ...+ A_nv_n= 0[/itex] is [itex]A_1= A_2= ...= A_n= 0[/itex]. If not, the set is dependent.
In particular, for two vectors, [itex]A_1v_1+ A_2v_2= 0[/itex] with [itex]A_2\ne 0[/itex] gives [itex]v_2= \frac{A_1}{A_2}v_1[/itex] so, yes, two vectors are dependent if and only if one is a multiple of the other.

On the contrary, the second clearly is -2 times the first!

actually i don't think that is so.

t-t^2 is not a -2 multiple of -2t+4t^2

the 4 makes it not work like this.

Also on number 5 in my homework I have this problem:

u = ( 2-t,t,-2) v = (t, -1, 2 ) w = (2+t, t-2, 2 )

it says in the answer is linear dependent, yet how can this be? I do not see how one vector is a scalar multiple of another?

can someone explain? Thanks.

Last edited:
Fellowroot said:
actually i don't think that is so.

t-t^2 is not a -2 multiple of -2t+4t^2

the 4 makes it not work like this.

Also on number 5 in my homework I have this problem:

u = ( 2-t,t,-2) v = (t, -1, 2 ) w = (2+t, t-2, 2 )

it says in the answer is linear dependent, yet how can this be? I do not see how one vector is a scalar multiple of another?

can someone explain? Thanks.

Can you combine two of the three to create the third? (Like BIG HINT: -2v+w =u)
So {u,v,w} is L.D

Also, I computed the determinant and the set is identically zero for all t thus L.D

Last edited:
Okay I'm still trying to master this topic. Can someone please explain to me how they got linear dependent on this following problem.

u = (e^t,0)
v = (0,0)
w = (0, e^t)

How is this dependent? I cannot for the life of me find something like au + bv = w.

Fellowroot said:
Okay I'm still trying to master this topic. Can someone please explain to me how they got linear dependent on this following problem.

u = (e^t,0)
v = (0,0)
w = (0, e^t)

How is this dependent? I cannot for the life of me find something like au + bv = w.

What do you know about sets that contain the zero vector? Are they always L.D or L.I?
Think about the defiition of Linear Independence. Can a set conatining the zero vector ever be L.I?

Say {v1, v2, . . . , vn} is a finite set of vectors and one of them is the zero vector.
So just let v1=0.
It we let constnats c1 = 1 and c2 = · · · = cn = 0,
this imples c1v1 + c2v2 + · · · + cn + vn = 1 · 0 + 0 · v2 + · · · + 0 · vn = 0
So what does this mean?

Fellowroot said:

u = (e^t,0)
v = (0,0)
w = (0, e^t)

For linear dependence, the equation au + bv + cw = 0 must have multiple, nonzero solutions for the constants a, b, and c. It should be obvious that that is the case here.

Related to Linear Algebra vector functions LI or LD

1. What is a vector function in linear algebra?

A vector function in linear algebra is a function that maps a set of input values to a set of output values, where both the input and output are vectors. It is often represented as f(x) = y, where x is the input vector and y is the output vector.

2. What does it mean for a set of vector functions to be linearly independent?

A set of vector functions is linearly independent if no one function in the set can be written as a linear combination of the other functions. In other words, the functions do not depend on each other and have unique contributions to the overall output.

3. How do you determine if a set of vector functions is linearly dependent?

A set of vector functions is linearly dependent if and only if at least one of the functions in the set can be written as a linear combination of the other functions. This means that there is redundancy in the set, and some functions are not necessary to determine the overall output.

4. How does linear independence or dependence affect the solution to a system of equations?

If a set of vector functions is linearly independent, then the system of equations will have a unique solution. This is because each function contributes a unique piece of information to the overall system. If the functions are linearly dependent, then the system of equations will have infinite solutions, as some functions are redundant and do not provide additional information.

5. What is the importance of linear independence in linear algebra?

Linear independence is crucial in linear algebra because it allows us to determine the uniqueness of solutions to systems of equations. It also helps us to simplify and reduce the number of equations needed to solve a problem, making it easier to find a solution.