Linear Approximation: Finding Point P

In summary, the conversation is about a question involving a function and its local linear approximation. The formula for the linear approximation is given, and the person is trying to determine the values of x0 and y0. They have attempted to solve it, but the solution in the book does not make sense to them. The expert advises the person to set the linear approximation formula equal to the original function and see if they can understand how the book got its solution.
Mdhiggenz

Homework Statement

Hey guys I'm having a hard time understanding how the book obtained the solution.

Here is the question

A function f is given along with a local linear approximation of L to f at a point P. Use the information given to determine point P.

f(x,y)= x2+y2; L(x,y)=2y-2x-2

Formula for local linear approximation is

f(x,y)+fx(x,y)+fy(x,y)=L(x,y)

So plugging in my known values

x02+y02+2x0(x-x0)+2y0(y-y0)=x2+y2

I was able to get up to here, and then when I looked at the solution in the book, it simply said x0=-1 y0 =1 and it isn't obvious to me why.

Any help is appreciated

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Mdhiggenz said:

Homework Statement

Hey guys I'm having a hard time understanding how the book obtained the solution.

Here is the question

A function f is given along with a local linear approximation of L to f at a point P. Use the information given to determine point P.

f(x,y)= x2+y2; L(x,y)=2y-2x-2

Formula for local linear approximation is

f(x,y)+fx(x,y)+fy(x,y)=L(x,y)

That isn't correct.

So plugging in my known values

x02+y02+2x0(x-x0)+2y0(y-y0)=x2+y2

That is the correct linear approximation near ##(x_0,y_0)##. Buy why do you set it equal to your original ##f(x,y)##? The linear approximation is an approximation to ##f(x,y)## but not equal to it unless ##f(x,y)## is linear itself. But you are given the formula for the linear approximation, which I have highlighted in red. Set it equal to that and see if you can see how they got that answer.

Related to Linear Approximation: Finding Point P

What is linear approximation?

Linear approximation is a method used to estimate the value of a function at a particular point by using the equation of the tangent line at that point.

How is point P found using linear approximation?

Point P can be found using linear approximation by first finding the equation of the tangent line at the given point, and then substituting the x-value of the point into the equation to find the corresponding y-value.

What is the purpose of using linear approximation?

The purpose of using linear approximation is to get a close estimate of the value of a function at a particular point, especially when the function is too complex to evaluate directly.

Is linear approximation always accurate?

No, linear approximation is not always accurate. It is an approximation method, so the accuracy of the estimated value depends on how closely the tangent line approximates the behavior of the function at the given point.

Are there any limitations to using linear approximation?

Yes, there are limitations to using linear approximation. It is only accurate for small intervals around the given point and becomes less accurate as the distance from the point increases. It also assumes that the function is differentiable at the given point.