Linear dependence of non-numerical objects

In summary, linear dependence of non-numerical objects refers to the linear relationship between variables that can be represented as a straight line on a graph. This is different from linear dependence of numerical objects, where the relationship is described using mathematical equations. Examples of linear dependence of non-numerical objects include temperature and altitude, time and distance, and pressure and volume. It is useful in scientific research for predicting and understanding relationships between variables, and can be graphically represented by plotting the variables on a graph and connecting them with a straight line.
ashina14

Homework Statement

Suppose V = 2^Ω where Ω = {red,blue,yellow,green}. Verify whether u={blue,green}, v={red,yellow,green}, and w={blue,yellow} are linearly independent in V

The Attempt at a Solution

I let
red = a1
blue = a2
yellow =a3
green = a4

therefore Ω = {a1, a2, a3, a4}

so now u={a2,a4}, v={a1,a3,a4}, w={a2,a3}

These vectors can also be written as
u=0.a1+1.a2+0.a3+1.a4
v=1.a1+0.a2+1.a3+1.a4
w=0.a1+1.a2+1.a3+0.a4

writing these vectors out in one matrix gives us
(0 | 1 | 0
1 | 0 | 1
0 | 1 | 1
1 | 1 | 0) if we're supposed to write the vectorsas columns

then i reduced it to REF to get
(1 | 0 | 0
0 | 1 | 0
0 | 0 | 1
0 | 0 | 0)

But then what do I do? How do I know what is dependent or not? I thought I could just say a1=0, a2=0,a3=0,a4=free. That shows these are independent but there is an empty row surely something's dependent??

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. To determine whether the vectors u, v, and w are linearly independent in V, we can use the definition of linear independence.

Linear independence means that no vector in a set can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. In other words, there is no non-trivial solution to the equation a1u + a2v + a3w = 0, where a1, a2, and a3 are scalars.

In your attempt, you have correctly written the vectors u, v, and w as columns of a matrix and reduced it to REF form. However, the empty row does not necessarily mean that the vectors are dependent. It simply means that there are no more equations that can be used to reduce the matrix further.

To determine whether a set of vectors is linearly independent, we can also use the determinant. If the determinant of the matrix formed by the vectors is non-zero, then the vectors are linearly independent. In your case, the determinant is equal to 1, which means that the vectors u, v, and w are linearly independent in V.

I hope this helps to clarify your understanding. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Linear dependence of non-numerical objects

1. What is linear dependence of non-numerical objects?

Linear dependence of non-numerical objects refers to the relationship between objects or variables that can be represented as a straight line on a graph. This means that as one object changes, the other objects also change in a consistent and predictable manner.

2. How is linear dependence of non-numerical objects different from linear dependence of numerical objects?

In linear dependence of numerical objects, the objects or variables are represented by numbers and their relationship is described using mathematical equations. In linear dependence of non-numerical objects, the objects may not have numerical values, but they still have a linear relationship that can be graphed.

3. What are some examples of linear dependence of non-numerical objects?

Examples of linear dependence of non-numerical objects include the relationship between temperature and altitude, the relationship between time and distance traveled, and the relationship between pressure and volume.

4. How can linear dependence of non-numerical objects be useful in scientific research?

Linear dependence of non-numerical objects can be useful in scientific research because it allows us to understand and predict the relationship between different variables. This can help us to make predictions, identify patterns, and draw conclusions from our data.

5. How can linear dependence of non-numerical objects be graphically represented?

Linear dependence of non-numerical objects can be graphically represented by plotting the variables on a graph and connecting the data points with a straight line. The slope of the line can indicate the strength and direction of the relationship between the variables.