Linear Dependent Vectors: v_1,v_2,...v_k,v Construct Linear Combination

In summary, if you have k linear dependent vectors and k+1 linear independent vectors, then v is the linear combination of v_1, v_2,...,v_k
annoymage

Homework Statement

if v_1,v_2,...,v_k be k linear independent vector, and if

v_1,v_2,...v_k,v be k+1 linear dependent vector, then

v is the linear combination of v_1,v_2,...,v_k

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

some of my attempt,(direct proof)

v_1,v_2,...v_k,v be k+1 linear dependent vector then when we write v_1,v_2,...v_k,v as linear combination of 0, there exist some coefficient not all of them 0. and i still no idea how to relate it to "v_1,v_2,...,v_k be k linear independent vector"

Physics news on Phys.org
You can write:
[tex]
\lambda_{1}v_{1}+\cdots +\lambda_{k}v_{k}+\lambda_{k+1}v=0
[/tex]
As a linealy dependent vector, then write [tex]\lambda_{k+1}=-1[/tex] to find:
[tex]
v=\lambda_{1}v_{1}+\cdots +\lambda_{k}v_{k}
[/tex]

i don't understand, to find "[tex]

v=\lambda_{1}v_{1}+\cdots +\lambda_{k}v_{k}

[/tex]" ?

If the vectors are linearly dependent then the [tex]\lambda_{i}[/tex] are all nonzero.

aren't some of them are non zero? not necessary all right?

There will be [tex]\lambda_{i}[/tex] which are nonzero, this will make the vector [tex]v[/tex]

[tex]

\lambda_{1}v_{1}+\cdots +\lambda_{k}v_{k}+\lambda_{k+1}v=0

[/tex] are linearly dependent, then some of [tex]

\lambda_{i}

[/tex] are non zero..

not necessary, [tex]
\lambda_{k+1}
[/tex] is non zero,

T_T I'm confused

If [tex]\lambda_{k+1}\neq 0[/tex] then the vector will become linearly independent and then [tex]\lambda_{i}=0[/tex] will become zero. so [tex]\lambda_{k+1}\neq 0[/tex]

you mean this right?

If [tex]
\lambda_{k+1}= 0
[/tex] then the vector will become linearly independent and then [tex]
\lambda_{i}=0
[/tex] will become zero. so [tex]
\lambda_{k+1}\neq 0
[/tex]

if yes, please check my argument here

[tex]

\lambda_{1}v_{1}+\cdots +\lambda_{k}v_{k}=0

[/tex] are linear independent so, [tex]
\lambda_{i}=0
[/tex]

hence

[tex]

0v_{1}+\cdots +0v_{k}+\lambda_{k+1}v=0

[/tex]

if [tex]
\lambda_{k+1}=0
[/tex] then the vectors are linear independent, so [tex]
\lambda_{k+1}\neq 0
[/tex]

is this correct?

You are given that [itex]\{v_1, v_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, v_k\}[/itex] are independent so we cannot have [itex]\lambda_1 v_1+ \lambda_2 v_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \lambda_k v_k= 0[/itex] unless [itex]\lambda_1= \lambda_2= \cdot\cdot\cdot= \lambda_k= 0[/itex]

But we are also given that [itex]\{v_1, v_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, v_k, v\}[/itex] are dependent- there exist [itex]\lambda_1, \lambda_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, \lambda_k, \lambda[/itex], not all 0, such that [itex]\lambda_1 v_1+ \lambda_2v_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \lambda_k v_k+ \lambda v= 0[/itex].

Now, here is the crucial point: if [itex]\lambda= 0[/itex] [itex]v[/itex] would not be in the equation and we would have [itex]\lambda_1 v_1+ \lambda_2 v_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \lambda_k v_k= 0[/itex] with not all of [itex]\lambda_1, \lambda_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, \lambda_k[/itex] equal to 0- which cannot happen. Thus, we must have [itex]\lambda[/itex] not 0.

No we can rewrite [itex]\lambda_1 v_1+ \lambda_2 v_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \lambda_k v_k+ \lambda v= 0[/itex] as [itex]-\lambda v= \lambda_1v_1+ \lambda_2v_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \lambda_k vk[/itex] and because [itex]\lambda\ne 0[/itex], we can divide through by [itex]-\lambda[/itex]:
[tex]v= -\frac{\lambda_1}{\lambda}v_1- \frac{\lambda_2}{\lambda}v_2- \cdot\cdot\cdot- \frac{\lambda_k}{\lambda}v_k[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
that crucial point is realllllllyyyy helpful, thankssssssss, btw it's [itex]
v
[/itex]

and thanks for all 3 quick reply, I'm still scrutinizing the other two, anyway, thanks again

FAQ: Linear Dependent Vectors: v_1,v_2,...v_k,v Construct Linear Combination

1. What is a linear combination?

A linear combination is a mathematical operation where two or more vectors are multiplied by a constant and then added together. It is represented by the formula c_1v_1 + c_2v_2 + ... + c_kv_k, where c_1, c_2, ..., c_k are constants and v_1, v_2, ..., v_k are vectors.

2. How do you determine if a set of vectors is linearly dependent?

A set of vectors is linearly dependent if at least one vector can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. This means that the vectors are not all independent and one vector is redundant.

3. Can linearly dependent vectors be used to construct a linear combination?

Yes, linearly dependent vectors can be used to construct a linear combination. In fact, any set of vectors can be used to construct a linear combination, but the resulting combination may not be unique.

4. How can you use linear combinations to solve systems of linear equations?

Linear combinations can be used to solve systems of linear equations by representing each equation as a linear combination and then setting the resulting combinations equal to each other. This creates a system of equations that can be solved using standard methods such as substitution or elimination.

5. Is it possible for a set of linearly dependent vectors to have a unique linear combination?

No, a set of linearly dependent vectors cannot have a unique linear combination. This is because at least one vector in the set is redundant and can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors. Thus, there will always be multiple ways to create the same linear combination.