Linear Differential Equation to solve?

In summary, the conversation discusses Cauchy's LDE and the steps for solving a specific equation. It involves substituting variables, finding the characteristic equation, and using variation of parameters to solve the nonhomogeneous equation.
abrowaqas

Homework Statement

this is Cauchy's LDE.. someone help me to solve this equation.

x^2 y'' + 3x y' + y = 1/(1-x)^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i started it with substituting
x= e^t
then ln x = t
and d/dt = D

hence the equation becomes

{ D(D-1) +3D +1} y = 1/(1+e^t)^2

and i got characteristics equation
as
Yc=(c1 + c2x ) e^-1

now i have problem in findind Particular Intergral i-e Yp..

i-e
Yp = 1 / {(D+1)^2 (1+e^t)^2 } ?

somebody help to complete its solution?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've only seen that sort of equation referred to as an Euler's differential equation. See, e.g., http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EulerDifferentialEquation.html.

You solve the homogeneous equation by substituting y = x^n and finding appropriate values for n. (In your case, you run into a double root, so you'll have to use reduction of order to find the second solution.) Then you can use variation of parameters to find the solution to the nonhomogeneous equation.

thanks Obafgkmrns... i got it..

FAQ: Linear Differential Equation to solve?

1. What is a linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It can be written in the form of y' + p(x)y = g(x), where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, y' is the derivative of y, p(x) is a function of x, and g(x) is a function of x.

2. What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is one in which the dependent variable and its derivatives appear only in the first degree, while a non-linear differential equation contains terms with powers higher than one.

3. How do you solve a linear differential equation?

To solve a linear differential equation, you can use techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or variation of parameters. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the dependent variable and then integrating both sides to find the solution.

4. What are the applications of linear differential equations in science?

Linear differential equations are used to model many physical phenomena in science, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits. They are also used in engineering to study systems that change over time.

5. Are there any limitations to using linear differential equations?

While linear differential equations are useful for modeling many systems, they have limitations. They can only represent systems that have a linear relationship between the dependent variable and its derivatives. Non-linear systems would require a different approach, such as numerical methods or computer simulations, to solve.