Linear expansion by heat for an object

In summary: The linked image is hardly any better. Why not take a closer shot instead of leaving all that whitespace?Much better. I concur with both answers.Much better. I concur with both answers.In summary, ehf states that a gap would shrink when heated.
ehf

Homework Statement

swYr8aw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/swYr8aw.jpg

Homework Equations

delta L=LalphadeltaT

The Attempt at a Solution

sorry for s**ty handwriting look at #8[/B]
59Ew8vJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/59Ew8vJ.jpg

edit:click the links please. The forum software cropped the quality of the photo.

Attachments

• swYr8aw.jpg
    swYr8aw.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 338
  • 59Ew8vJ.jpg
    59Ew8vJ.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot read the problem statement. If I blow it up large enough to be read it is just a blur.

haruspex said:
I cannot read the problem statement. If I blow it up large enough to be read it is just a blur.
fixed problem

ehf said:
fixed problem
The linked image is hardly any better. Why not take a closer shot instead of leaving all that whitespace?

pf prob.png

That's the best I can do with computer enhancement .

I could not do much with the other image .

Nidum said:
View attachment 204449

Much better. I concur with both answers.

haruspex said:
Much better. I concur with both answers.
Nidum said:
View attachment 204449

The imgur link should be just fine. I can read it on all magnification. The server cropped the displaying image whatever i did

@ehf . We understand the question now .

This type of problem comes up frequently and once you understand one simple principle solving these problems becomes easy and usually requires little calculation .

Consider a square plate with a round hole in it - do you think that the hole gets larger or smaller in diameter when the plate is heated ?

Last edited:
smaller because of expansion @Nidum
(i have an exam coming up so i may not access frequently...)

Nidum said:
Consider a square plate with a round hole in it - do you think that the hole gets larger or smaller in diameter when the plate is heated ?

ehf said:
smaller
I must be missing something.
My reading of the answer to a) at the link, messy as it is, is that the gap increases, which is correct.
@Nidum's post #8 implies that at some point in @ehf's posts it is stated that the gap will shrink, but I cannot find such.
In response to the direct question from Nidum, ehf says that a gap would shrink.
@Nidum, what made you suspect ehf would answer wrongly?

I was working towards explaining the basic physics of expansion . In particular that gaps expand in the same way as solid metal .

I was still having difficulty reading ehf's writing when I made that posting .

my fault...it doesn't shrink anywhere...only stretches
well please do not use the image on the thread. imgur images are almost megabytes while the images on the forum are kilobytes
im sorry i can't convert it to text now

FAQ: Linear expansion by heat for an object

What is linear expansion by heat?

Linear expansion by heat is the phenomenon where an object increases in length or size when heated. This is due to the increase in kinetic energy of the particles in the object, causing them to vibrate and take up more space.

What causes linear expansion by heat?

The increase in temperature causes the particles in an object to gain kinetic energy and move more vigorously, resulting in an increase in spacing between the particles. This increase in spacing causes the object to expand and increase in size.

How does temperature affect linear expansion?

The higher the temperature, the greater the increase in kinetic energy of the particles, and therefore the more they will vibrate and take up more space. This leads to a larger linear expansion in the object.

Can linear expansion by heat be reversed?

Yes, linear expansion by heat is a reversible process. When the object cools down, the particles lose kinetic energy and move less vigorously, causing them to contract and return to their original size.

What are some real-life applications of linear expansion by heat?

Linear expansion by heat is used in a variety of everyday objects, such as in the construction of bridges and roads to account for temperature changes, in thermostats to regulate temperature, and in bimetallic strips for measuring temperature changes.