Linear Fractional Transformation

In summary, the goal is to find a Linear Fractional Transformation (LFT) or Mobius Transformation that makes two given circles concentric about the origin. The LFT equation is w=f(z)=\frac{az+b}{cz+d}. To find the coefficients, three distinct points on each circle can be chosen and plugged into the LFT equation. In this case, the center of one circle can be mapped to the center of the other, a point on one circle can be mapped to a point on the other, and infinity can be mapped to infinity. This will result in a unique LFT that can be used to make the two circles concentric.
Hertz

Homework Statement

I'm given two circles in the complex plane. [itex]|z|=1[/itex] and [itex]|z-1|=\frac{5}{2}[/itex]. The goal is to find a "Linear Fractional Transformation" or Mobius Transformation that makes these two circles concentric about the origin.

Homework Equations

[itex]w=f(z)=\frac{az+b}{cz+d}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From other examples I've seen of this, people typically pick three points on the curve they are trying to transform and 3 points on the curve they are trying to transform too. They then use the equation above and solve for the coefficients.

The problem for me is that I don't know exactly what I'm mapping my plane too. I don't know what w values correspond with what z values. All I know is that I am trying to make the two circles concentric about the origin.

Please please please don't beat around the bush. I have a final in 2.5 hrs that may have this material on it. We didn't cover it in class so I think it's ridiculous that it may be on the final, but it was on the practice final so I need to learn it now. You don't have to just give me the answer, but please at least just tell me how to get it. I can take it from there

Physics news on Phys.org
Hertz said:

Homework Statement

I'm given two circles in the complex plane. [itex]|z|=1[/itex] and [itex]|z-1|=\frac{5}{2}[/itex]. The goal is to find a "Linear Fractional Transformation" or Mobius Transformation that makes these two circles concentric about the origin.

Homework Equations

[itex]w=f(z)=\frac{az+b}{cz+d}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From other examples I've seen of this, people typically pick three points on the curve they are trying to transform and 3 points on the curve they are trying to transform too. They then use the equation above and solve for the coefficients.

The problem for me is that I don't know exactly what I'm mapping my plane too. I don't know what w values correspond with what z values. All I know is that I am trying to make the two circles concentric about the origin.

Please please please don't beat around the bush. I have a final in 2.5 hrs that may have this material on it. We didn't cover it in class so I think it's ridiculous that it may be on the final, but it was on the practice final so I need to learn it now. You don't have to just give me the answer, but please at least just tell me how to get it. I can take it from there

Here's a quick run down of what is happening in your case. If you know three distinct points map to three other distinct points under your LFT, your LFT is unique. Also, when dealing with circles, a way to construct your LFT is to map a point on one circle to a point on the other circle, map the center of the first circle to the center of the second circle, and then map infinity to infinity (since they are both circles).

so, in your case:

##T(0) \mapsto 1## (center to center)
##T(1) \mapsto \frac{7}{2}## (point on circle to point on circle)
##T(\infty) \mapsto \infty## (outside point to outside point)

Start with the LFT definition and plug in 0,1,infinity and find the values of a,b,c,d

Likes 1 person

Related to Linear Fractional Transformation

What is a linear fractional transformation?

A linear fractional transformation is a mathematical function that maps complex numbers to other complex numbers using a ratio of linear functions. It can also be referred to as a Mobius transformation or a Möbius transformation.

What is the general form of a linear fractional transformation?

The general form of a linear fractional transformation is f(z) = (az + b) / (cz + d), where a, b, c, and d are complex numbers and z is the input complex number.

What are the properties of a linear fractional transformation?

Some key properties of a linear fractional transformation include: it is a one-to-one mapping, it preserves collinearity, it maps lines and circles to lines and circles, and it can be composed with other linear fractional transformations to create new transformations.

How is a linear fractional transformation used in mathematics?

Linear fractional transformations have many applications in mathematics, including in complex analysis, projective geometry, and differential equations. They are also used in computer graphics and image processing.

What is the significance of linear fractional transformations in physics?

In physics, linear fractional transformations are used to describe the behavior of physical systems that exhibit conformal symmetry, such as in fluid dynamics and quantum mechanics. They are also used in the study of special relativity and the theory of general relativity.