Linear independence of polynomial set.

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the set of polynomials $\{1+cx, 1+cx^2, x-x^2\}$ is a basis for $P_2$ and concludes that it is not, as it can be written as a linear combination of the other elements. The conversation also mentions another method of determining if a set is a basis by trying to generate the standard basis.
bamuelsanks
Hi guys,

I've been working on a question which is as follows:

For which real values of c will the set $\{1+cx, 1+cx^2, x-x^2\}$ be a basis for $P_2$?

I'm coming up with the answer as no values of c, but am I really wrong?
I've only checked linear independence, because it would imply that it spans $P_2$ (right?)

I figure one would just create the augmented matrix:
$\left( \begin{array}{ccc} 0 & c & 1 \\ 1 & 0 & 1 \\-1 & 1 & 0\end{array} \right)$

And reduce:
$\left( \begin{array}{ccc} 1 & 0 & \frac{1}{c} \\ 0 & 1 & \frac{1}{c} \\ 0 & 0 & 0\end{array} \right)$

Thanks in advance,
SB

Physics news on Phys.org
for any c real number
[tex]1+cx = 1+cx^2 + c(x-x^2 ) [/tex]

that means the first one can be written from the other two elements (linear compination from other elements)thats means they can't be a basis.
other way to prove that they are basis or not try to generate the standard basis {1 , x , x^2 } from the given basis if that can be done then they are basis

Last edited:

FAQ: Linear independence of polynomial set.

What is the concept of linear independence?

Linear independence is a fundamental concept in linear algebra that refers to the property of a set of vectors to not be able to be represented as a linear combination of other vectors in the same vector space. This means that each vector in the set has a unique contribution to the overall span of the vector space.

What is the significance of linear independence in polynomial sets?

In polynomial sets, linear independence is important because it determines whether the set of polynomials can be used as a basis for the vector space of polynomials. A set of polynomials is linearly independent if no polynomial in the set can be written as a linear combination of the other polynomials.

How do you test for linear independence in polynomial sets?

The most common method for testing linear independence in polynomial sets is by using the determinant method. This involves constructing a matrix with the coefficients of the polynomials as the entries, and then calculating the determinant of the matrix. If the determinant is non-zero, then the polynomials are linearly independent.

What is the relationship between linear independence and linear dependence?

Linear independence and linear dependence are opposite concepts. If a set of vectors is linearly independent, it means that none of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. On the other hand, if a set of vectors is linearly dependent, it means that at least one vector can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set.

Why is it important to understand linear independence in polynomial sets?

Understanding linear independence in polynomial sets is essential for solving problems in linear algebra and for understanding the structure of vector spaces. It also plays a crucial role in applications such as data analysis, where linear independence can indicate relationships between variables. Additionally, knowing whether a set of polynomials is linearly independent can determine whether a system of equations has a unique solution or not.