Linear Independence: Proving Dependency of {v1,v2,v3,v4}

In summary: I will definitely take that into consideration.In summary, if the set {v1,v2,v3} of vectors in R^(m) is linearly dependent, then it can be concluded that the set {v1,v2,v3,v4} is also linearly dependent for every choice of v4 in R^(m). This is due to the definition of linear dependence, where if there are more solutions than the trivial solution, the set is considered linearly dependent. Therefore, adding any vector v4 to the set would still result in a non-trivial solution, making the set remain dependent.
EV33

Homework Statement

If the set {v1,v2,v3} of vectors in R^(m) is linearly dependent, then argue that the set {v1,v2,v3,v4} is also linearly dependent for every choice of v4 in R^(m).

Homework Equations

Definitions would be more relevant so...

Linearly Independent: If the only solution is the trivial solution

Linearly Dependent: If there are more solutions than he trivial solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out by writing out three vectors that are a dependent set, and I noticed that no matter what I added for v4 there would still be that non trivial solution, therefore making it remain dependent.

Is that sound reasoning?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi EV33! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
EV33 said:
I started out by writing out three vectors that are a dependent set, and I noticed that no matter what I added for v4 there would still be that non trivial solution, therefore making it remain dependent.

Is that sound reasoning?

If I'm guessing correctly what you mean, then yes that's sound.

But you should write it properly, starting "if v1 v2 and v3 are dependent, then there exist …" :wink:

Thank you very much

Related to Linear Independence: Proving Dependency of {v1,v2,v3,v4}

1. What is linear independence?

Linear independence is a concept in linear algebra that describes the relationship between a set of vectors. A set of vectors is said to be linearly independent if no vector in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set.

2. How do you prove linear independence?

To prove linear independence of a set of vectors, you must show that there is no non-trivial solution to the equation c1v1 + c2v2 + ... + cnvn = 0, where c1, c2, ..., cn are constants and v1, v2, ..., vn are the vectors in the set.

3. Why is proving linear independence important?

Proving linear independence is important because it allows us to determine whether a set of vectors can form a basis for a vector space. If a set of vectors is linearly independent, it means that they are all necessary and cannot be expressed as a combination of the other vectors. This is essential for solving many problems in linear algebra.

4. What is the difference between linear independence and linear dependence?

Linear independence and linear dependence are two opposite concepts. Linear independence describes a set of vectors that are all necessary and cannot be expressed as a combination of the other vectors. On the other hand, linear dependence describes a set of vectors that can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set.

5. How can you prove dependency of {v1,v2,v3,v4}?

To prove dependency of {v1,v2,v3,v4}, you must find a non-trivial solution to the equation c1v1 + c2v2 + c3v3 + c4v4 = 0, where c1, c2, c3, and c4 are constants. This will show that at least one of the vectors in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors, making the set linearly dependent.