Linear momentum and impulse problem

In summary, the ball rebounded with half its initial velocity and delivered a momentum of -3.7125 kg to the Earth.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

A 0.3-kg ball falls from a height of 30 m from rest and rebounds with half its velocity upon impact with a sidewalk. Find (a) the momentum delivered to the Earth and (b) the impulse delivered to the earth.

Homework Equations

FΔt= mvf-mvi

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried to do was I found the velocity using the potential energy formula to find the energy and then the kinetic energy formula to find the velocity right before the ball hit the ground. I then multiplied the velocity by the mass to find the initial momentum. After that I divided the velocity by two because it said that when it rebounded it had half the velocity. Then I multiplied half the initial velocity by the mass to get the final momentum. Then I used the equation FΔt= mvf-mvi to find the impulse. I got -3.7125 and the answer was 11 for both (a) and (b)

Physics news on Phys.org
BrainMan said:
What I tried to do was I found the velocity using the potential energy formula to find the energy and then the kinetic energy formula to find the velocity right before the ball hit the ground. I then multiplied the velocity by the mass to find the initial momentum. After that I divided the velocity by two because it said that when it rebounded it had half the velocity. Then I multiplied half the initial velocity by the mass to get the final momentum. Then I used the equation FΔt= mvf-mvi to find the impulse. I got -3.7125 and the answer was 11 for both (a) and (b)
Not too bad, but you missed out a bit.
1. Momentum is a vector (and it has units)
2. The collision involves the Earth - so you need to consider it in the calculation.
Law of conservation of momentum applies here.Note: It is easier to just use momentum directly, so you avoid awkward numbers.
i.e. if velocity halves and mass stays the same then momentum halves.
if it ends up going in the opposite direction, and the initial momentum was positive, then the final momentum is negative.
$$K=\frac{mv^2}{2}=\frac{p^2}{2m}$$... since ##v=p/m##
You want the gravitational PE lost falling turning into kinetic energy at the moment of contact so:$$\frac{p^2}{2m}=mgh \implies p=m\sqrt{2gh}$$... see?

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
Not too bad, but you missed out a bit.
1. Momentum is a vector (and it has units)
2. The collision involves the Earth - so you need to consider it in the calculation.
Law of conservation of momentum applies here.

Note: It is easier to just use momentum directly, so you avoid awkward numbers.
i.e. if velocity halves and mass stays the same then momentum halves.
if it ends up going in the opposite direction, and the initial momentum was positive, then the final momentum is negative.
$$K=\frac{mv^2}{2}=\frac{p^2}{2m}$$... since ##v=p/m##
You want the gravitational PE lost falling turning into kinetic energy at the moment of contact so:$$\frac{p^2}{2m}=mgh \implies p=m\sqrt{2gh}$$... see?

OK I see what I did wrong. I didn't make the velocity after the ball had bounced negative. I got the right numbers with my method but the negative threw off my answer. Thanks!

Well done :)

respectively.Your approach is correct. However, there is a slight error in your final calculation. The impulse delivered to the Earth should be a positive value, since the force and change in time are both positive quantities. Therefore, the correct answer for (b) would be 3.7125 Ns. Other than that, your solution is correct. Keep up the good work!

Related to Linear momentum and impulse problem

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is the product of an object's mass and velocity, and it is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is linear momentum related to impulse?

Impulse is the change in an object's momentum over a certain period of time. It is directly proportional to the object's mass and change in velocity, and is represented by the equation: impulse = change in momentum = m x change in velocity. Therefore, linear momentum and impulse are closely related.

3. What is the conservation of linear momentum?

The law of conservation of linear momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. This means that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision or interaction must equal the total momentum after.

4. How is the concept of linear momentum applied in real-life situations?

Linear momentum is applied in various real-life situations, such as collision and impact analysis in car accidents, sports like billiards and bowling, and rocket propulsion. It is also used in engineering and design to calculate the forces and impacts of moving objects.

5. What are some common units for measuring linear momentum?

The SI unit for linear momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg·m/s). However, other common units include gram-centimeters per second (g·cm/s), gram-meters per second (g·m/s), and pound-feet per second (lb·ft/s).