Linear Motion - Minimum Retardation to Avoid Crash?

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a passenger train and a goods train on the same track. The question asks for the rate of deceleration of the passenger train to avoid a crash. The conversation also includes equations and a method used to calculate the deceleration. The person asking for advice is still unsure if their answer is correct.
project_ILE
First post! I would be grateful if anyone could give me any advice on this particular type of problem (i.e min retardation to avoid a crash). I'm not necessarily looking for the answer to this specific question, I would rather if someone could point me in the right direction as to how to go about these questions. Thanks!

1. A passenger train, which is traveling at 80 m s[itex]^{-1}[/itex] is 1500 m behind a goods train which is traveling at 30 m s[itex]^{-1}[/itex] in the same direction on the same track. At what rate must the passenger train decelerate to avoid a crash? (Ignore the lengths of the trains)

2. s = ut + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at[itex]^{2}[/itex]
v = u + at
s = ([itex]\frac{u + v}{2}[/itex])t
v[itex]^{2}[/itex] = u[itex]^{2}[/itex] + 2as

3. I worked out that at current speeds, the trains would collide after 30 seconds, using a velocity-time graph, letting the distance traveled by the passenger train = distance traveled by the goods train + 1500. (30T + 1500 = 80V). From there I summized that for the trains to never crash, the passenger train should decelerate to at least the same speed as the goods train ( 30 m s[itex]^{-1}[/itex]). Then I used v = u + at for the passenger train, and had 30 = 80 + a(30), where a comes out at - [itex]\frac{5}{3}[/itex] m s[itex]^{-2}[/itex]. I've compared this answer to the correct one.

Thanks,
project_ILE

Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote,

"I've compared this answer to the correct one."

%^) So did you get the right answer? If you did fine, if not then someone might care to find the error.

Spinnor said:
You wrote,

"I've compared this answer to the correct one."

%^) So did you get the right answer? If you did fine, if not then someone might care to find the error.

Sorry, I thought I had finished my post! This question is from an exam paper, I have the numeric answer, but not the method. My own answer (above) is not correct.

The answer might help potential helpers. What was it 8^)

Dear project_ILE,

Thank you for your question. It is important to consider the minimum retardation required to avoid a crash in situations like this. To solve this problem, we can use the equations of motion that you have listed in your post. First, let's consider the situation at the point of collision. At this point, the distance traveled by the passenger train (s) will be equal to the distance traveled by the goods train (s + 1500m). We can set up an equation using the equation s = ut + \frac{1}{2}at^{2} for both trains, where u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time taken. This will give us two equations:

s = 80t - \frac{1}{2}at^{2}
s + 1500 = 30t - \frac{1}{2}at^{2}

We can solve these equations simultaneously to find the time (t) at which the trains will collide. Substituting the value of t into either equation will give us the distance (s) at the point of collision. Now, to avoid a crash, the passenger train must decelerate to the same speed as the goods train (30 m s^{-1}) before reaching this point. This means that the final velocity (v) of the passenger train will be 30 m s^{-1}. We can use the equation v^{2} = u^{2} + 2as to find the minimum retardation (a) required for the passenger train to reach this final velocity.

30^{2} = 80^{2} + 2a(s + 1500)
a = - \frac{5}{3} m s^{-2}

This is the same answer that you have found, which means your method is correct. However, it is always good to double check your work by using different methods or equations. I hope this helps and good luck with your future problems!

Related to Linear Motion - Minimum Retardation to Avoid Crash?

1. What is linear motion?

Linear motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a straight line. This can be in a horizontal, vertical, or diagonal direction.

2. What is minimum retardation?

Minimum retardation refers to the minimum amount of deceleration or slowing down that is required to bring an object to a stop without causing a crash.

3. How is minimum retardation calculated?

Minimum retardation can be calculated by dividing the object's initial velocity by the distance it needs to travel to come to a stop. This will give you the required deceleration or minimum retardation.

4. Why is minimum retardation important in avoiding crashes?

Minimum retardation is important in avoiding crashes because it ensures that an object can come to a stop within a safe distance without causing a collision. Without minimum retardation, objects would continue to move at high speeds and crashes would be more likely to occur.

5. How can minimum retardation be increased?

Minimum retardation can be increased by increasing the friction or resistance between the object and the surface it is moving on. This can be done by using materials with higher friction coefficients or by increasing the weight or mass of the object.