Linear operators & the uncertainty principle

In summary: The proof says that if you multiply a vector by a scalar, then the result is still a vector. In other words, the scalar behaves like an operator.
Ahmes
Hi,
I try to understand the proof for the uncertainty principle for two Hermitian operators A and B in a Hilbert space. My questions are rather general so you don't need to know the specific proof.

The first thing I couldn't get into my head was the definition of uncertainty
[tex](\Delta A)^2=\langle\psi|(A- \langle A \rangle)^2|\psi\rangle[/tex]
Using the properties of the inner product I can be convinced this is equivalent to the ordinary definition of [tex](\Delta A)^2=\langle A^2 \rangle-{\langle A \rangle}^2[/tex] BUT [tex]A[/tex] is an operator and [tex]\langle A \rangle[/tex] is a number! How can [tex](A- \langle A \rangle)^2[/tex] even be defined?

Second - somewhere else in the proof a new vector is defined [tex]|\varphi \rangle=C| \psi \rangle[/tex] OK, they can do it, but then they say that if so, then also [tex]\langle \varphi |= \langle \psi | C^\dagger[/tex] and I just can't see why... Why the dagger I mean

Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There's nothing wrong with adding a scalar to an operator, since you can interpret every scalar itself as an operator. It just multiplies the vector it acts upon by the scalar. If it helps, you can also imagine the identity operator next to it.

By the way, the ordinary definition of [itex](\Delta A)^2[/itex] is either [itex]\langle (A-\langle A \rangle)^2\rangle[/itex], or [itex]\langle A^2 \rangle-{\langle A \rangle}^2[/itex]. They are identical ofcourse, but from the former you can easily see that
[tex](\Delta A)^2=\langle\psi|(A- \langle A \rangle)^2|\psi\rangle[/tex]

since, for any operator [itex]\langle Q \rangle = \angle \psi|Q|\psi \rangle[/itex].

The bra associated with the ket [itex]C|\psi \rangle[/itex] is [itex]\langle \psi|C^\dagger[/itex], I`m sure that's explained in your book somewhere.
[tex]\langle \psi |C|\psi\rangle^*=\langle \psi |C^\dagger|\psi\rangle[/tex]

Thanks.
It took me quite a while to convince myself about the latter...

Related to Linear operators & the uncertainty principle

What is a linear operator?

A linear operator is a mathematical function that takes in a vector or a set of vectors and produces another vector as the output. It follows the properties of linearity, which means that the function satisfies the requirements of additivity and homogeneity.

What is the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This principle is a consequence of the wave-particle duality of matter, where particles exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behaviors.

How are linear operators and the uncertainty principle related?

Linear operators are used to describe the behavior of quantum mechanical systems, and the uncertainty principle arises from the properties of these operators. The position and momentum operators, in particular, are related through the uncertainty principle, where the product of their uncertainties is always greater than or equal to a certain constant value.

What are some real-life applications of linear operators and the uncertainty principle?

Linear operators and the uncertainty principle have numerous applications in various fields such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and data compression. In quantum mechanics, they are used to describe the behavior of particles and predict their properties. In signal processing, they are used to analyze and manipulate signals, and in data compression, they are used to reduce the size of data without losing important information.

How can understanding linear operators and the uncertainty principle benefit scientific research?

Understanding linear operators and the uncertainty principle is crucial in many areas of scientific research, especially in quantum mechanics. It allows scientists to make accurate predictions about the behavior of particles and systems, and to develop new technologies such as quantum computers and quantum cryptography. Additionally, it provides a framework for studying and understanding the fundamental principles of the universe at a microscopic level.