Linear Polarization Experiment Question

In summary, a grad student was trying to figure out why when focusing on one feature in a system, bands would rotate in the opposite direction from the rest of the system. After a few attempts, it was determined that the system had elliptical polarization mixed in with random polarizations.
sirzerp
I'm a grad student and I got some recent results that I can't figure out. Thought I would post a question and see if I can get a quick answer.

I'm taking pictures of polarized system. Using a normal linear polarized filter that has a slip ring, so I take a picture, rotate the slip ring a few degrees and take another picture.

If I focus the camera on one of the interesting features of the system that I study, I get a dark band and bright band that cross each other. See attached figure. If I rotate the slip ring, the dark band and bright band rotate in lock step with the filter alignment.

My system has a lot of radial symmetry, so think this is the expected result.

Here's the rub, I focus on a different feature in the same system, everything else is the same and do the same actions. I still get a dark zone and bright zone that cross each other and a single frame looks very similar to my baseline.

Now, I rotate the slip ring a few degrees and take another picture. Everything looks the same but now the dark zone and bright zone has rotated the OPPOSITE DIRECTION between frames. If rotate the filter 9 degrees clockwise, my zones now rotate 9 degrees counter clockwise!

I think I understand linear polarization, circular, and elliptical polarizations.

What am I missing here? Can someone enlighten me? :)

Thanks in advance,

Sirzerp

Attachments

• pol.png
    pol.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 424
Science news on Phys.org
You are missing an understanding of how those bands could form.
What is the system?

I was thinking of it as two zones of photons in phase and two zones of photons out of phase. Of course having the zones rotate in the wrong direction confused things a bit.

Through a process of elimination, my system must have some elliptical polarization(s) mixed in with random polarizations.

If I only observe the intensity of the frames, I get two brighter frames for 2 pi of filter rotation. I was thinking this was related to linear polarizations of the source but now I see that elliptical is the other possibility.

I'll get a circular polarization filter and confirm my findings.

Thanks for prompting me,

Sirzerp

Related to Linear Polarization Experiment Question

1. What is linear polarization?

Linear polarization is a property of light in which the electric field vectors vibrate in a single plane. This is in contrast to unpolarized light, in which the electric field vectors vibrate in all directions perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

2. How is linear polarization experiment conducted?

A common way to conduct a linear polarization experiment is by using a polarizer, which is a material that selectively absorbs light vibrations in certain planes. The polarizer is placed in front of the light source, and a second polarizer is placed in front of the detector. By rotating the second polarizer, the intensity of light passing through it changes, indicating the presence of linearly polarized light.

3. What is the purpose of a linear polarization experiment?

The purpose of a linear polarization experiment is to study the properties of polarized light and how it interacts with different materials. It is also commonly used to determine the polarization state of light in various situations, such as in optical devices or in natural phenomena like reflection and refraction.

4. What are some applications of linear polarization?

Linear polarization has many practical applications, such as in sunglasses to reduce glare, in liquid crystal displays (LCDs) to control the amount of light passing through, and in optical communication systems to transmit data. It is also important in the field of astronomy, as it can help in detecting and analyzing polarized light from celestial objects.

5. Can linear polarization occur naturally?

Yes, linear polarization can occur naturally in various ways. For example, light can become linearly polarized through scattering in the atmosphere, or by reflection off of a smooth surface. Some animals, such as bees, can also perceive linearly polarized light and use it for navigation and communication.