Linear Programming Dealing with Defects?

In summary, the problem involves a man wanting to purchase at least 10,000 lightbulbs of two types, X and Y, with specific cost and defect rates. However, the defect rates do not affect the solution. In a subquestion, if the demand for type X increases by 5%, the minimum solution would involve purchasing 5% more type X lightbulbs than previously bought (10,000).
I Like Pi

Homework Statement

The problem goes like this:

A man is selling two types of lightbulbs. Lightbulb X costs $1.70, but 9% are defective, and so, cannot be sold. Lightbulb Y costs $0.90, but 12% are defective. The man wants to purchase at least 10 000 lightbulbs of each type, but he wants at least 10% of the total to be lightbulb X and at most 70% of total of lightbulb Y. Minimize the total cost.

Now my question is what do I do with the defect rates? I believe they are constraints, but have no clue how... And please, do not give me the answer, i would like to learn.

Thank you in advance,
I like Pi

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have:

Let x = # of X lightbulbs
Let y = # of Y lightbulbs

Cmin = 1.7x + .9y (objective)

constraints:
x, y ≥ 10 000
x ≥ .10(x+y) ... x ≥ (.10/.90)y
y ≤ .70(x+y) ... y ≤ (.70/.30)x

Physics news on Phys.org
I Like Pi said:

Homework Statement

The problem goes like this:

A man is selling two types of lightbulbs. Lightbulb X costs $1.70, but 9% are defective, and so, cannot be sold. Lightbulb Y costs $0.90, but 12% are defective. The man wants to purchase at least 10 000 lightbulbs of each type, but he wants at least 10% of the total to be lightbulb X and at most 70% of total of lightbulb Y. Minimize the total cost.

Now my question is what do I do with the defect rates? I believe they are constraints, but have no clue how... And please, do not give me the answer, i would like to learn.

Thank you in advance,
I like Pi

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have:

Let x = # of X lightbulbs
Let y = # of Y lightbulbs

Cmin = 1.7x + .9y (objective)

constraints:
x, y ≥ 10 000
x ≥ .10(x+y) ... x ≥ (.10/.90)y
y ≤ .70(x+y) ... y ≤ (.70/.30)x

What you have so far is perfectly OK. The question says nothing at all about what to do with the defects. If your statement of the actual problem is accurate, the defect rates make no difference; they could be 100% without affecting anything. Are you sure you copied the problem correctly?

It would make more sense if they also specified a selling price for good type X and Y bulbs and then asked for a profit-maximizing solution, for example. Some other possibilities are: (i) require that we have no more that some specified percentage of defectives in the total bulb store; or (ii) have a disposal cost for each defective, and add that cost to the purchase cost, then minimize the total.

RGV

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
What you have so far is perfectly OK. The question says nothing at all about what to do with the defects. If your statement of the actual problem is accurate, the defect rates make no difference; they could be 100% without affecting anything. Are you sure you copied the problem correctly?

It would make more sense if they also specified a selling price for good type X and Y bulbs and then asked for a profit-maximizing solution, for example. Some other possibilities are: (i) require that we have no more that some specified percentage of defectives in the total bulb store; or (ii) have a disposal cost for each defective, and add that cost to the purchase cost, then minimize the total.

RGV

That is exactly how the question is written. However, there is a subquestion saying that if the demand for lightbulb X rises by 5% but total demand does not, how much type X lightbulbs and type Y lightbulbs should be ordered to minimize cost. What are the changes to the minimum solution?

Would that require the defective rates? My professor said that they are used in the constraints portion of the question...

Thanks,
I like Pi

I Like Pi said:
That is exactly how the question is written. However, there is a subquestion saying that if the demand for lightbulb X rises by 5% but total demand does not, how much type X lightbulbs and type Y lightbulbs should be ordered to minimize cost. What are the changes to the minimum solution?

Would that require the defective rates? My professor said that they are used in the constraints portion of the question...

Thanks,
I like Pi

I strongly disagree, but maybe some of the words used were meant differently; for example, maybe the problem really meant that he wants to sell at least 10,000 good bulbs of each type rather than purchase at least 10,000. The way it is worded now, he could purchase 100% defective bulbs and sell nothing at all.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
I strongly disagree, but maybe some of the words used were meant differently; for example, maybe the problem really meant that he wants to sell at least 10,000 good bulbs of each type rather than purchase at least 10,000. The way it is worded now, he could purchase 100% defective bulbs and sell nothing at all.

RGV

That's exactly what I was thinking... So, in this case, because we are dealing with just cost and not a set amount needing to be sold, the defective rate doesn't apply?

I Like Pi said:
That's exactly what I was thinking... So, in this case, because we are dealing with just cost and not a set amount needing to be sold, the defective rate doesn't apply?

I thought that's what I said.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
I thought that's what I said.

RGV

Yes, I am just clarifying.

Now what would i do if the demand for lightbulb X increases by 5%? How would i incorporate that into my linear programming model? Would that mean that I he wants to buy 5% more type X lightbulbs of what he's bought in the previous answers (10,000)?

Related to Linear Programming Dealing with Defects?

1. What is linear programming?

Linear programming is a mathematical optimization technique used to find the best solution to a problem with multiple constraints. It involves maximizing or minimizing a linear objective function while satisfying a set of linear constraints.

2. How does linear programming deal with defects?

Linear programming can be used to determine the optimal allocation of resources to minimize defects in a production process. By formulating a linear programming model, we can determine the optimal combination of inputs and outputs to minimize the number of defects produced.

3. What are the key steps in using linear programming to deal with defects?

The key steps in using linear programming to deal with defects include defining the problem, formulating the linear programming model, solving the model using appropriate software, and interpreting the results to make decisions on resource allocation.

4. What are the advantages of using linear programming to deal with defects?

Linear programming provides a systematic and efficient approach to optimizing resource allocation, which can lead to a reduction in defects and an increase in productivity. It also allows for various constraints and objectives to be considered, providing a comprehensive solution.

5. Can linear programming be used to deal with defects in any industry?

Yes, linear programming can be applied to deal with defects in various industries, such as manufacturing, healthcare, transportation, and logistics. As long as the problem can be mathematically formulated and has linear constraints, linear programming can be used to find an optimal solution.