Linear programming extra credit problem. Help

In summary, the feasible region for producing standard rackets is between 30 and 80 (inclusive). The feasible region for producing oversized rackets is between 10 and 30 (inclusive). The total number of rackets produced should not exceed 80 per day.
Revolver
This is really difficult, I have no idea how to go about this.

A manufacturer of tennis rackets makes a profit of $15 on each oversized racket and $8 on each standard racket. To meet dealer demand, daily production of standard rackets should be between 30 and 80 (inclusive), and prdouction of oversized rackets should be between 10 and 30 (inclusive). To maintain high quality, the total number of rackets produced should not exceed 80 per day. How many of each type should be produced to maximize the profit?

Answer the following. Show all work.
1. Write the constraints and optimal equation.
2. Graph the region of feasible constraints.
3. Find all corner points.
4. Evaluate the optimal equation at each corner point.
5. Summarize your findings in a word statement.

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
And I'd like a pony.

You're not likely to get help from people here unless you indicate what you've attempted and failed with. Especially on things like this where there isn't anything particuarly tricky.

If you don't know what some of the words mean, then ask:

What does 'feasible region' mean?

And you might actually get a reasonable answer.

Until then, I, for one, will be waiting for my pony (and it had better be pink).

As NateTG said, do something yourself so we can see what kind of help you need- it wouldn't help you for us to do the problem for you (especiallly if you expect your teacher to give you "extra credit" thinking you did the work yourself!).

Get started: Assign names to "number of standard rackets produced daily" and "number of oversized rackets produced daily. Now, using those names, how would you write "daily production of standard rackets should be between 30 and 80 (inclusive)" as an inequality? How would you write "production of oversized rackets should be between 10 and 30 (inclusive)" as an inequality. How would you write "the total number of rackets produced should not exceed 80 per day" as an inequality?

How would you graph those inequalities?

How would you write the profit function from "A manufacturer of tennis rackets makes a profit of $15 on each oversized racket and $8 on each standard racket. "

I've already started on the problem. As I'm new, I didn't know you had guidelines as to how to post questions for problems.

I already know let X be the number of oversized rackets, and let Y be the number of standard rackets.

The inequality part is what confuses me.

30 >= X >= 80 ?

How do you graph that? The problem is due in two and a half hours so I'm probably screwed. Heh.

It might be less confusing if you write the inequalities down one at a time. Instead of writing:
[tex]30 \leq x \leq 80[/tex]
write
[tex]30 \leq x[/tex]
[tex]x \leq 80[/tex]
or something similar.

Revolver said:
I've already started on the problem. As I'm new, I didn't know you had guidelines as to how to post questions for problems.

I already know let X be the number of oversized rackets, and let Y be the number of standard rackets.

The inequality part is what confuses me.

30 >= X >= 80 ?

How do you graph that? The problem is due in two and a half hours so I'm probably screwed. Heh.

Since 30 is not greater than 80 that can't be right- you have the inequality signs reversed.
30<= X<= 80.

The best way to graph inequalities is to first graph the equation.
Set up an X,Y graph. X= 30 is a vertical straight line. X= 80 is also a vertical straight line. 30<= X<= 80 is the strip between those lines.
Same thing for 10<= Y<= 30- it's a horizontal strip. The rectangle where they overlap gives (X,Y) that satisfies both.
The last constraint is X+ Y<= 80. X+ Y= 80 is the line through (80,0) and (0,80). Since 0+ 0< 80, X+Y<= 80 is the side of that line that contains (0,0). The "feasible region" is the place where all three sets overlap. You can get the corner points by solving the equations of the lines that intersect at that corner simultaneously.

Related to Linear programming extra credit problem. Help

What is linear programming?

Linear programming is a mathematical optimization technique used to find the best possible solution to a problem with linear constraints. It involves maximizing or minimizing an objective function while adhering to a set of linear constraints.

What is an extra credit problem in linear programming?

An extra credit problem in linear programming is an additional question or task that is included in a linear programming assignment or exam. It is typically more challenging than the regular problems and offers the opportunity for students to earn extra points.

How do I approach a linear programming extra credit problem?

The first step in solving a linear programming extra credit problem is to clearly define the objective function and the constraints. Then, you can use graphical or algebraic methods to find the optimal solution. It is also important to double check your work and make sure it aligns with the given problem and constraints.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a linear programming extra credit problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid include not clearly defining the objective function and constraints, not properly setting up the problem, and not checking for alternative optimal solutions. It is also important to pay attention to units and rounding errors.

Can linear programming be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, linear programming is commonly used in a variety of fields such as business, economics, engineering, and logistics to optimize resources and make efficient decisions. It can be used to solve problems related to production planning, resource allocation, inventory management, and more.