Linear programming graph T/F questions

In summary, Homework Statement states that if (3,3) produces a larger value of the objective function than (0,2) and (6,3), then (3,3) must be an optimal solution. However, in this example, (0,2) and (6,3) both give a larger objective value than (3,3).
csc2iffy

Homework Statement

The shaded area on graph represents the feasible region of a linear programmin problem whose objective function is to be maximized.

Label each of the following statements as True or False, and then justify your answer based on the graphical method. In each case, give an example of an objective function that illustrates your answer.

(a) If (3,3) produces a larger value of the objective function than (0,2) and (6,3), then (3,3) must be an optimal solution.

(b) If (3, 3) is an optimal solution and multiple optimal solutions exist, then either (0,2) or (6,3) must also be an optimal solution.

(c) The point (0,0) cannot be an optimal solution.2. The attempt at a solution
I said...

(a) True

(b) True

(c) False

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 970
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
csc2iffy said:

Homework Statement

The shaded area on graph represents the feasible region of a linear programmin problem whose objective function is to be maximized.

Label each of the following statements as True or False, and then justify your answer based on the graphical method. In each case, give an example of an objective function that illustrates your answer.

(a) If (3,3) produces a larger value of the objective function than (0,2) and (6,3), then (3,3) must be an optimal solution.

(b) If (3, 3) is an optimal solution and multiple optimal solutions exist, then either (0,2) or (6,3) must also be an optimal solution.

(c) The point (0,0) cannot be an optimal solution.

2. The attempt at a solution
I said...

(a) False, (3,3) cannot be an optimal solution because ? I just think it's because (6,3) would always be greater, I can't think of an example where it wouldn't be

(b) False, either (3,3) and (0,2) are optimal, or (3,3) and (6,3) are optimal.

(c) True

I need a little help justifying my answers and finding an example of an objective function illustrating my answers. Also, I'm not 100% sure they're correct to begin with... :/

(a) You are not allowed to say "I just think it's because (6,3) would always be greater..", as you were TOLD that (3,3) gave the greater value! I can think of millions of examples where (3,3) gives a larger objective value than (6,3).
(b) You are saying something is both false and true at the same time.
(c) Why?

RGV

I am just learning this stuff ok! thanks for all your "help" but i figured it out

Related to Linear programming graph T/F questions

1. What is linear programming?

Linear programming is a mathematical optimization technique used to find the best solution for a given problem with linear constraints and a linear objective function.

2. What is a graph in linear programming?

In linear programming, a graph is a visual representation of the constraints and the objective function of a problem. The constraints are represented by lines or curves, and the objective function is represented by a line.

3. Can a linear programming problem have more than two variables?

Yes, a linear programming problem can have any number of variables, but it is usually limited to a few variables for practical purposes.

4. Are all linear programming problems solvable?

Yes, all linear programming problems have a solution, either an optimal solution or an infeasible solution. However, it is possible for a problem to have an unbounded solution, meaning that there is no finite maximum or minimum value.

5. What are the main applications of linear programming?

Linear programming has many applications in various fields, including economics, engineering, business, and operations research. Some common applications include production planning, resource allocation, transportation optimization, and portfolio optimization.