Linear Speed at South Pole Antarctica

In summary: If you don't have a radius and assume an infinitely small point on the south pole, the radius is then 0 (distance from centre of rotation), plug that into your equation and your linear velocity is 0. Hence D being the correct answer.
sphyics
What would be the linear speed of body in Antartica standing on a south pole.

Physics news on Phys.org
sphyics said:
What would be the linear speed of body in Antartica standing on a south pole.

depends on reference point. earth? sun? solar system? galaxie?

Taftarat said:
depends on reference point. earth? sun? solar system? galaxie?

consider Earth as reference point.

sphyics said:
consider Earth as reference point.

Linear speed implies you are moving in a straight line. You are not.

You would be moving with rotational velocity (whether in reference to the Earth or Sun).

Of course this is largely semantics.

With the Earth as your reference point, you would be rotating on the spot but that is all. Like a ballerina in a music box.

jarednjames said:
Linear speed implies you are moving in a straight line. You are not.

You would be moving with rotational velocity (whether in reference to the Earth or Sun).

Of course this is largely semantics.

With the Earth as your reference point, you would be rotating on the spot but that is all. Like a ballerina in a music box.

yes i agree, hence i had an intuition, the answer as 360 degrees per day from the options given A) 7x10-5rad/s; B)360 degrees per day c)Both (A) &(B) D) 0

but I'm trying to put it mathematically :)

sphyics said:
yes i agree, hence i had an intuition, the answer as 360 degrees per day from the options given A) 7x10-5rad/s; B)360 degrees per day c)Both (A) &(B) D) 0

but I'm trying to put it mathematically :)

Well work out how many degrees are per second (360 / (24*60*60)).

Then convert that value to rad/s, see if it matches A.

Problem is, that gives you a rotational speed, not strictly a linear one (bit of ambiguity in the question for my liking). So I'd say the answer is D.

Last edited:
jarednjames said:
Well work out how many degrees are per second (360 / (24*60*60)).

Then convert that value to rad/s, see if it matches A.
approximately ... its 7.2x10^-5rad/s {sorry for that i made a calculation error earlier.}

jarednjames said:
Problem is, that gives you a rotational speed, not strictly a linear one (bit of ambiguity in the question for my liking). So I'd say the answer is D.

how i discarded the answer Zero (i too had the same notion first) velocity may be zero as displacement is zero but not speed...

& the other one ...

what will be the change in momentum if a particle moves from one point to its diametrically opposite.

Last edited:
Please note the difference between an objects linear velocity and angular velocity:

http://www.algebralab.org/lessons/lesson.aspx?file=trigonometry_triganglinvelocity.xml

Your whole body (and the Earth) will have one angular velocity (which comes from 360 degrees per day).

But each point on the Earths surface at a different radius will have its own linear velocity.

On the south pole, your left arm will have a higher linear velocity than your head.

At a point infinitely small, directly on the south pole you would have zero linear velocity.

So my point is that unless you know which part of your body they are referring to, you can't give a linear velocity. Only an angular one.

Last edited:
jarednjames said:
Please note the difference between an objects linear velocity and angular velocity:

http://www.algebralab.org/lessons/lesson.aspx?file=trigonometry_triganglinvelocity.xml

Your whole body (and the Earth) will have one angular velocity (which comes from 360 degrees per day).

But each point on the Earths surface at a different radius will have its own linear velocity.

On the south pole, your left arm will have a higher linear velocity than your head.

At a point infinitely small, directly on the south pole you would have zero linear velocity.

So my point is that unless you know which part of your body they are referring to, you can't give a linear velocity. Only an angular one.

Consider a particle not a body, suppose if the particle was at equator T(Period)=24hrs, then v=r(radius vector)*w(angular velocity)
how to proced with a particle at poles...

sphyics said:
Consider a particle not a body, suppose if the particle was at equator T(Period)=24hrs, then v=r(radius vector)*w(angular velocity)
how to proced with a particle at poles...

The only difference is the radius, and like I said, unless you know the specific part of the body (the radius) then you can't give an answer.

Particle, body, all the same. Assume the outside radius and go with that if you really need to.

jarednjames said:
The only difference is the radius, and like I said, unless you know the specific part of the body (the radius) then you can't give an answer.

its a question from a competitive exam :)

sphyics said:
its a question from a competitive exam :)

And...

It doesn't change the fact you need a radius to have a linear velocity.

If you don't have a radius and assume an infinitely small point on the south pole, the radius is then 0 (distance from centre of rotation), plug that into your equation and your linear velocity is 0. Hence D being the correct answer.

Related to Linear Speed at South Pole Antarctica

What is linear speed at South Pole Antarctica?

The linear speed at South Pole Antarctica refers to the rate of change of an object's position as it moves along a straight path. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

Does linear speed differ at the South Pole compared to other locations?

Yes, linear speed at the South Pole is affected by its unique location on the Earth's axis. Due to the Earth's rotation, objects at the South Pole have a slower linear speed compared to those at other latitudes.

What factors affect linear speed at the South Pole?

The main factor that affects linear speed at the South Pole is the Earth's rotation. Other factors that can influence linear speed include the rotation of the Earth's core and the elevation of the South Pole above sea level.

How is linear speed at the South Pole measured?

Linear speed at the South Pole is typically measured using specialized instruments such as GPS devices or radar systems. These instruments can accurately calculate an object's speed based on its position and the time it takes to travel a certain distance.

Why is understanding linear speed at the South Pole important?

Studying linear speed at the South Pole is important for various scientific fields such as geology, meteorology, and climate science. It can also help us better understand the Earth's rotation and its effects on our planet's physical processes.