[Linear System] What is the order of the system?

In summary, the conversation discusses two Bode plots plotted on MATLAB and the uncertainty regarding the system's order due to conflicting results between the magnitude and phase plots. The possibility of a first-order system is considered due to the more precise magnitude plot, but the strange phase plot suggests a second-order system with measurement errors. The speaker asks for more information and data to better understand the situation.
EdajMay
Hi,

I plotted two Bode plots on MATLAB, and I'm wondering what's the system's order, because the magnitude plot looks like a first order (-20 dB/ dec) whether the phase plot looks like a second order (-180 degrees).

I'm leaning towards a first-order system since the magnitude is more precise.

However, what could explain the difference between the two plots? Is it possible to obtain those plots?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If the phase can approach -180° then it's not well approximated as a first-order response. You are trying to fit your points around a curve with a single break point, but could you do better with two break points—a second-order response but where the poles do not co-incide?

The phase plot looks rather strange because - for a second-order system - the phase must APPROACH the 180 deg line for infinite frequencies.
Most probably, a measurement error.

EdajMay said:
Hi,

I plotted two Bode plots on MATLAB, and I'm wondering what's the system's order, because the magnitude plot looks like a first order (-20 dB/ dec) whether the phase plot looks like a second order (-180 degrees).

I'm leaning towards a first-order system since the magnitude is more precise.

However, what could explain the difference between the two plots? Is it possible to obtain those plots?

Thank you
How did you obtain this data to plot? I agree with the others that it looks like there are errors in your data. The attenuation looks to be -25 or -30dB/decade, but without another decade higher plotted, it's hard to tell. And the phase plot looks all wrong for either a 1st or 2nd order system.

Can you show the schematic of the circuit you measured, and show the equipment used to make the measurements? Can you share the raw data?

Related to [Linear System] What is the order of the system?

What is the order of the system?

The order of a linear system refers to the number of equations in the system. It is also equal to the number of variables in the system. For example, a system with 3 equations and 3 variables would be considered a third-order system.

How do I determine the order of a system?

To determine the order of a system, count the number of equations or variables present in the system. This will give you the order of the system.

Why is the order of a system important?

The order of a system is important because it tells us how many equations or variables we need to solve the system. It also helps us determine the complexity of the system and the methods we can use to solve it.

Can a system have a fractional or negative order?

No, the order of a system can only be a positive integer. This is because the order is based on the number of equations or variables, which cannot be fractional or negative.

Does the order of a system affect its stability?

Yes, the order of a system can affect its stability. Higher-order systems tend to be more complex and can have more potential sources of instability compared to lower-order systems. However, the order alone does not determine stability, as other factors such as system parameters and inputs also play a role.