Linear Systems Question (Several Parts)

In summary: I just needed to use the inverse laplace transform. I thought it was weird that the answer was just in the transformed form, but it makes sense now.
EugP

Homework Statement

Find the complete response of the system represented by

[tex]y''(t)+2y'(t)+y(t)=u(t),[/tex]

[tex]y(0^-)=1,[/tex]

[tex]y'(0^-)=2[/tex]

and identify the zro-state and zero-input response components. Find the system transfer function and the system impulse response.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I solved for the complete response, but apparently what I got was just the zero-state response. I thought that by taking the laplace transform of the whole function, I will get the complete response. I then remembered that I need to have both zero-state and zero-input responses to get complete response, but I don't know how to find zero-input response.

Here's what I did:

[tex]y''(t)+2y'(t)+y(t)=u(t)[/tex]

[tex]s^2Y(s)-f(0^-)-f^{(1)}(0^-)+2sY(s)-f(0^-)+Y(s)=\frac{1}{s}[/tex]

[tex]Y(s)[s^2+2s+1]-f(0^-)-f^{(1)}(0^-)-f(0^-)=\frac{1}{s}[/tex]

[tex]Y(s)[s^2+2s+1]-1+2-1=\frac{1}{s}[/tex]

[tex]Y(s)[s^2+2s+1]=\frac{1}{s}[/tex]

[tex]Y(s)=\frac{1}{s(s^2+2s+1)}[/tex]

At this point I thought this was already the complete response only in it's transformed for, so now I took the inverse laplace and got:

[tex]y(t)=(1-te^{-t}-e^{-t})u(t)[/tex]

which is what the answer is for the zero-state response, not complete response.
So I tried figure out the zero-input response, but I just don't even know where to start. I looked everywhere and I can't seem to find the way to find it. Once I find the zero-input response, I will probably be able to solve the rest by myself.

Can anyone please tell me how to find the zero-input response?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you solve for the initial conditions analytically? Like plug in zero for t in your current solution and then solve for the initial conditions? For example:

The first initial condition is y(0) = 1;

[tex]y(0) = 1 -( (0) + 1 )e^{(0)} = 1 - 1[/tex]

So add 1 to the equation to get satisfy the first condition.

For the second one if you plug in zero into the derivative of your equation you will get -2, so add 4t to the equation so that when you take the derivative you get +4 and it won't mess with the first condition.

This could be horribly wrong, but you can test it easily enough in MATLAB by taking the new function of t:

[tex]y(t) = 2 + 4t -(t + 1)e^{-t}[/tex]

and graphing it and comparing vs. step() of the original (zero initial condition) function.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I figured out the solution.

Related to Linear Systems Question (Several Parts)

1. What is a linear system?

A linear system is a set of equations that can be represented by a system of linear equations. These equations have a unique solution and follow the principles of linear algebra.

2. How do you solve a linear system?

To solve a linear system, you can use various methods such as substitution, elimination, or using matrices. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate and solve for the variables.

3. Can a linear system have more than one solution?

No, a linear system can only have one unique solution. This is because a linear system represents a set of equations with the same number of variables, and there can only be one set of values that satisfy all the equations simultaneously.

4. What is the importance of solving linear systems?

Solving linear systems is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It allows us to model and analyze real-world situations and make predictions based on the relationships between different variables.

5. Can a linear system have no solution?

Yes, a linear system can have no solution. This happens when the equations in the system are inconsistent, meaning they have no common solution. Graphically, this can be represented by parallel lines or planes that do not intersect.