Linear transformation D:P2 --> P2

In summary, the linear transformation D from Psub2 to Psub2 is defined as D(Asub0 + Asub1x + Asub2x^2) = Asub1 + 2Asub2x. The matrix of this transformation with respect to the ordered bases C to C, where C = {1-x, 1+x, x^2}, is a 3x3 matrix with the elements 1, 1, and 2 in the first row, and -1, 1, and 0 in the second row. However, this matrix may not be complete as it should map into Psub1 instead of Psub2. The full matrix representation should ensure that the basis is mapped
gildee
Moved from a technical forum section, so missing the template
Linear transformation D:Psub2 to Psub2 defined by
D( Asub0 + Asub1x + Asub2x^2) = Asub1 + 2Asub2x

Find the matrix of this linear transformation with respect to the
ordered bases C to C, where C= { 1-x , 1+ x, x^2 }

I know that D stands for differentiating .
D prime is Asub1 + 2Asub2x

I think the matrix is

1 1 2
-1 1 0

I would like to know if my matrix is correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
But differentiation maps into ## P_1 ## . You may embed ##P_1## in ## P_2##, but the map is into ##P_1## otherwise.

Your answer cannot be complete. For one thing, it should be a 3x3 matrix.

And then you just need to make sure that the matrix T representing D takes the basis to where it should, i.e., to D(basis)=D(1+x + 1-x +x^2).

FAQ: Linear transformation D:P2 --> P2

1. What is a linear transformation in the context of P2?

A linear transformation in the context of P2 refers to a mathematical function that maps a polynomial of degree 2 (P2) to another polynomial of degree 2. This transformation follows the rules of linearity, meaning that it preserves addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How is a linear transformation represented in P2?

In P2, a linear transformation D is typically represented as D:P2 --> P2. This notation indicates that the transformation takes a polynomial from P2 as an input and outputs another polynomial in P2.

3. What is the purpose of a linear transformation in P2?

A linear transformation in P2 has various applications, such as solving systems of linear equations, finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and performing geometric transformations. It can also be used to simplify calculations and analyze the properties of polynomials.

4. How do you determine if a transformation is linear in P2?

To determine if a transformation is linear in P2, you can check if it follows the two properties of linearity: additivity and homogeneity. Additivity means that the transformation of the sum of two polynomials is equal to the sum of their individual transformations. Homogeneity means that the transformation of a polynomial multiplied by a scalar is equal to the scalar multiplied by the transformation of the polynomial.

5. Can a linear transformation in P2 have more than one input or output?

No, a linear transformation in P2 must have only one input and one output. This is because P2 is a vector space of polynomials of degree 2, and a transformation must preserve the structure of the vector space, which includes having only one input and one output.