Linear Transformation: find dilating/rotation matrix

In summary, a linear transformation is a function that maps input values to output values while preserving linearity and proportionality. It is represented by a matrix and can be used to scale, rotate, and transform objects. A dilating matrix is a type of linear transformation that scales an object in a specific direction, while a rotation matrix combines sine and cosine values. Real-world applications of linear transformation include image manipulation, data analysis, and solving linear equations.
bcahmel

Homework Statement

The vector A has length 8.5, and makes an angle of 5pi/19 with the x-axis.

The vector B has length 6, and makes an angle of 8pi/19 with the x-axis.

Find the matrix which rotates and dilates vector into vector .

Homework Equations

Rotation matrix in counterclockwise direction: \begin{equation}

\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
cos∅ & -sin∅\\
sin∅ & cos∅\\
\end{array}
\right]

\end{equation}

Dilation matrix:
\begin{equation}

\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
c & 0\\
0 & c\\
\end{array}
\right]

\end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

\begin{equation}

\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
(12/17)cos(3pi/19) & -sin(3pi/19)\\
sin(3pi/19) & (12/17)cos(3pi/19)\\

\end{array}
\right]

\end{equation}

My line of thinking: to move A into B, it needs to move counterclockwise from its current positions by an angle of 3pi/19. A needs to "shrink" by a factor of 12/17.

However, this is incorrect. I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction, or even give me a similar example. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
bcahmel said:

Homework Statement

The vector A has length 8.5, and makes an angle of 5pi/19 with the x-axis.

The vector B has length 6, and makes an angle of 8pi/19 with the x-axis.

Find the matrix which rotates and dilates vector into vector .

Homework Equations

Rotation matrix in counterclockwise direction: \begin{equation}

\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
cos∅ & -sin∅\\
sin∅ & cos∅\\
\end{array}
\right]

\end{equation}

Dilation matrix:
\begin{equation}

\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
c & 0\\
0 & c\\
\end{array}
\right]

\end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

\begin{equation}

\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
(12/17)cos(3pi/19) & -sin(3pi/19)\\
sin(3pi/19) & (12/17)cos(3pi/19)\\

\end{array}
\right]

\end{equation}

My line of thinking: to move A into B, it needs to move counterclockwise from its current positions by an angle of 3pi/19. A needs to "shrink" by a factor of 12/17.

However, this is incorrect. I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction, or even give me a similar example. Thank you.

You can either rotate first, then shrink, or shrink first, then rotate. Also, be careful about rotations: for rotation a coordinate system through angle θ but leaving a vector v = <x,y> unchanged, the coordinates x' and y' of v in the new coordinate system are given by
[tex] \pmatrix{x' \\ y'} = \pmatrix{\cos(\theta) & -\sin(\theta)\\
\sin(\theta) & \cos(\theta)} \pmatrix{x\\y}.[/tex]
However, if we rotate the vector v through angle θ but keeping the coordinate system unchanged, the coordinates x' and y' of the new vector v' are given by
[tex] \pmatrix{x' \\ y'} = \pmatrix{\cos(\theta) & \sin(\theta)\\
-\sin(\theta) & \cos(\theta)} \pmatrix{x\\y}.[/tex]
Note that the two transformation matrices are transposes of each other.

RGV

The way you combined the rotation and dilation isn't correct. As Ray said, do one first and then the other.

To dilate:\begin{equation}

\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
(12/17) & 0\\
0 & (12/17) \\

\end{array}
\right]

\end{equation}

To rotate:
\begin{equation}

\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
cos(3pi/19) & -sin(3pi/19)\\
sin(3pi/19) & cos(3pi/19)\\

\end{array}
\right]

\end{equation}

Does the above look right?

So I'm trying to find matrix, a 2X2 matrix so that: \begin{equation}

\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
A\\
\\

\end{array}
\right]

\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
8.5cos(5pi/19)\\
8.5sin(5pi/19)\\

\end{array}
\right]

=

\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
6cos(8pi/19)\\
6sin(8pi/19)\\

\end{array}
\right]

\end{equation}

Is there a way to put these two transformations together, into one matrix, A? Thank you for the help you have given so far.

bcahmel said:
So I'm trying to find matrix, a 2X2 matrix so that: \begin{equation}

\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
A\\
\\

\end{array}
\right]

\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
8.5cos(5pi/19)\\
8.5sin(5pi/19)\\

\end{array}
\right]

=

\left[
\begin{array}{ccc}
6cos(8pi/19)\\
6sin(8pi/19)\\

\end{array}
\right]

\end{equation}

In your original post, if you multiply your dilation matrix by your rotation matrix correctly, you should have a 12/17 times all four entries. Then try that for your A.

Thank you LCKurts, vela, and Ray! So to summarize: think of the transformations separately, and then multiply the two transformation matrices together.
Thanks again

Related to Linear Transformation: find dilating/rotation matrix

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical operation that maps a set of input values to a set of output values, while preserving certain properties such as linearity and proportionality. In simpler terms, it is a function that transforms a given set of points in space to a new set of points, while maintaining their relative positions.

2. How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation can be represented by a matrix, which is a rectangular array of numbers. Each element in the matrix represents the transformation of a specific input value to an output value. The matrix is multiplied by a vector containing the input values to produce a vector of output values.

3. What is a dilating matrix in linear transformation?

A dilating matrix is a type of linear transformation that scales or enlarges an object in a specific direction. It is represented by a diagonal matrix, where the values on the diagonal determine the amount of scaling in each direction.

4. How do you find the dilating/rotation matrix for a given linear transformation?

To find the dilating/rotation matrix for a linear transformation, you need to first determine the transformation's effects on the standard basis vectors (i.e. the unit vectors along the x and y axes). Then, the resulting vectors can be used to construct the matrix that represents the transformation. For a dilating matrix, the scaling factors will be placed on the diagonal, while a rotation matrix will have a combination of sine and cosine values.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear transformation?

Linear transformation has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and economics. Some common examples include scaling and rotating images, transforming coordinates in a 3D space, and analyzing data using linear regression. It is also used in solving systems of linear equations and in understanding the behavior of linear systems in control theory.