Linear transformation T: R3 -> R2

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the linear transformation between two vectors. The student is having trouble figuring out how to start, but eventually figure out that it is a 2x3 matrix with the first column being the vector 1,0,0 and the second column being the vector 0,1,0.
aero_zeppelin
Linear transformation T: R3 --> R2

Homework Statement

Find the linear transformation T: R3 --> R2 such that:
T(1,0,0) = (2,1)
T(0,1,1) = (3,2)
T(1,1,0) = (1,4)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been doing some exercises about linear transformations (rotations and reflections mostly) but I've never seen something like this... I don't know how to even start :S I did some research and only found examples on proving the two conditions for a transformation to be linear...

Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org

Could you answer the problem if they gave you the values of T(1,0,0), T(0,1,0) and T(0,0,1)? If you can than can you figure out what they are from the given information?

Last edited:

Thanks for the reply.

Humm.. what do you mean? If they changed the values of the T's I posted?

aero_zeppelin said:
Thanks for the reply.

Humm.. what do you mean? If they changed the values of the T's I posted?

Yes, T is a 2x3 matrix. T(1,0,0) is the first column of the matrix, right?

Dick said:
Yes, T is a 2x3 matrix. T(1,0,0) is the first column of the matrix, right?

Yeah, I would say so... Like I said, I have never done an exercise like this before, so I don't exactly now how to start arranging things hehe

aero_zeppelin said:
Yeah, I would say so... Like I said, I have never done an exercise like this before, so I don't exactly now how to start arranging things hehe

Well, it's time to start arranging things now. You know T(1,0,0). They gave it to you. So you know the first column of the matrix. Now what's T(0,1,0)? That would be the second column. Can you figure that out using linearity from the given information?

Dick said:
Well, it's time to start arranging things now. You know T(1,0,0). They gave it to you. So you know the first column of the matrix. Now what's T(0,1,0)? That would be the second column. Can you figure that out using linearity from the given information?

hehe ok! Are you mistaking that second T? It should be T(0,1,1), right? Anyway, what exactly are we trying to do? Arrange T's inside a matrix as columns and then...?

Another way to do this: Write <x, y, z> as a combination of <1, 0, 0>, <0, 1, 1>, and <1, 1, 0>. That is, <x, y, z>= a<1, 0, 0>+ b<0, 1, 1>+ c<1, 1, 0>= <a+ c, b+ c, b>. So we have a+ c= x, b+ c= y, and b= z. Then c= y- z and a= x- y+ z.

That is, <x, y, z>= (x-y+ z)<1, 0, 0>+ z<0, 1, 1>+ (y- z)<1, 1, 0>.

So T<x, y, z>= (x- y+ z)T<1, 0, 0>+ zT<0, 1, 1>+ (y- z)T<1, 1, 0>.

aero_zeppelin said:
hehe ok! Are you mistaking that second T? It should be T(0,1,1), right? Anyway, what exactly are we trying to do? Arrange T's inside a matrix as columns and then...?

What is T(1,1,0)-T(1,0,0)? In the example they gave it is easy to find the value of T on the three basis vectors (1,0,0), (0,1,0) and (0,0,1). That will let you write down a matrix for T. I was guessing that was what they meant by 'find the linear transformation'.

Related to Linear transformation T: R3 -> R2

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another while preserving the basic structure of the vector space. In simpler terms, it is a transformation that preserves lines and their properties such as parallelism and proportionality.

2. How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation can be represented by a matrix, where each column represents the images of the basis vectors in the new vector space. Alternatively, it can also be represented by a set of linear equations.

3. What is the domain and codomain of a linear transformation?

The domain of a linear transformation is the vector space from which the transformation takes its input, while the codomain is the vector space to which the transformation maps its output.

4. What is the rank of a linear transformation?

The rank of a linear transformation is the dimension of the vector space spanned by the images of the basis vectors. It is also equal to the number of linearly independent columns in the matrix representation of the transformation.

5. How do you determine if a linear transformation is one-to-one or onto?

A linear transformation is one-to-one if every element in its codomain has a unique pre-image in its domain. It is onto if every element in its codomain has at least one pre-image in its domain. These properties can be determined by examining the rank and nullity of the transformation's matrix representation.