Linear Transformation with a Matrix

In summary, the matrix represents a linear transformation of the unit square. The result of applying the matrix to the vectors (0, 1) and (1, 0) is that the unit square is rotated 45◦ anticlockwise and reflected across the line at angle −30◦ to the X-axis.
Siann122

Homework Statement

Write down the 2 × 2 matrix that represents the following linear transformation of
the plane. Also draw the image of the (first quadrant) unit square 1.

T(x, y) = (2x +6y, x + 3y).

Homework Equations

T(x, y) = (2x +6y, x + 3y).

The Attempt at a Solution

So the previous four questions were as follows:
(a) A dilation with horizontal dilation factor 2 and vertical dilation factor 1/2.
(b) A vertical shear with factor −1/2.
(c) A rotation of 45◦ anticlockwise.
(d) A reflection across the line at angle −30◦ to the X-axis.

I've done all of these without a problem, but I'm not exactly sure what method you use to actually figure out this one? What exactly is the transformation that's happening? I'm stuck as to what the equation actually means, and I should be okay from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the result of applying the matrix

|a b|
|c d|

to the vector (x, y)? What must a, b, c and d be in order to get (2x +6y, x + 3y)?

Another way: note that
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a \\ c\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
and
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}b \\ d\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

That is, the columns are the results of applying the transformation to the basis vectors.

So, what are T(1, 0) and T(0, 1)?

There are two ways of looking at this and you should practice "seeing" both ways. The first as mentioned is seeing what a given linear transformation does to the standard basis, understanding the linearity part of linear transformation, and seeing how you expand a general vector (x,y) for example, as a linear combination of basis vectors.

The other way is to understand the decomposition of the linear transformation into certain types.
You can scale a given direction (dilation), you can add a multiple of one direction to another (shear) and you can rotate directions. If you can decompose the linear transformation expressed in component form into a sequence of such actions you can then write down the product of the matrices and multiply it out.

E.g. break up T into a sequence of mappings: (x,y)--> (x,3y) --> (x+3y,x+3y) --> (2x+6y,x+3y).
(note this method requires you be a bit more clever and so is less systematic. There are multiple paths to your goal but it utilizes and thus reinforces a deeper level of understanding.)

You can b.t.w. be systematic with this, look at the resolution of row operations on one matrix as left multiplication by another. [This equivalence is a.) important to understand the validity of row operations in yielding solutions to systems of equations, and b.) integral to the method of finding the inverse of a matrix by performing parallel row ops on both the original matrix and the identity matrix.] Then if you can work out how to perform row ops on a column vector to get the resulting transform you get the sequence of matrices whose product is the transformation matrix.

Alright, so by my logic a unit square is created through the following matrix:

1 0
0 1

And if I turn that above formula into a matrix, I will get the following:

{2 6} {x}
{1 3} {y}

Is my logic sound? Does that matrix represent it or am I not quite getting it still?

That is the correct matrix that represents the linear transformation.

To find out what happens to the unit square, apply the matrix to the vectors (0, 1) and (1, 0)

Thanks so much for your help guys.

FAQ: Linear Transformation with a Matrix

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical operation that maps one vector space to another while preserving the structure of the original space. It is a special type of function that follows the properties of linearity, meaning it obeys the laws of addition and scalar multiplication.

2. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in rows and columns. It is used to represent linear transformations and perform various operations in linear algebra, such as addition, multiplication, and inversion.

3. How are linear transformations represented with a matrix?

Linear transformations can be represented by a matrix by using the coordinates of the original vector space and the transformed vector space. The matrix is constructed using the coefficients of the linear transformation and the basis vectors of the vector spaces.

4. What are the properties of a linear transformation with a matrix?

A linear transformation with a matrix follows the properties of linearity, including preserving the origin, scaling, and addition. It also follows the properties of matrix multiplication, such as associativity and distributivity.

5. How is a linear transformation with a matrix used in real-world applications?

Linear transformations with matrices are used in various fields, including engineering, computer graphics, and economics. They are used to transform data, perform operations on large datasets, and model real-world systems such as electrical circuits and economic markets.