Linearly-damped rotational motion

In summary, the conversation is about determining the dynamics of a linearly-damped hinge. The equations for force balance and moments are discussed, and there is a debate about the correct approach for deriving the differential equations. The correct equation for net torque is determined to be (L/2) * [ mg sinθ - (bL/2)*θ' * cos(θ/2)] = (mL^2 / 3) * θ'', and it is noted that this is a second order nonlinear ODE. The conversation ends with a comment about the complexity of describing seemingly simple motion.
lights_camera_axion
http://imgur.com/a/8QjoW

http://imgur.com/a/8QjoW

Hello-

I am trying to determine the dynamics of this linearly-damped hinge. Assuming that:
  • v(0) = 0
  • damping constant = b
  • door has mass = m
I was able to determine that:

∑Fx = -Fd * cos(45-θ/2) + Rx = m*dvx/dt
ΣFy = -Fd * sin(45-θ/2) - Fg + Ry = m*dvy/dt
ΣM (about the hinge) = Fg*cosθ - Fd*cos(45-θ/2)

I'm having trouble deriving the differential equations from these force balance equations. Do I need to form a continuity equation next? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check the sign of the Fd term in ΣFy.
You need an equation relating Rx directly to Ry.
The moments expression should have some distances in it and needs to be turned into an equation.

Likes lights_camera_axion
haruspex said:
Check the sign of the Fd term in ΣFy.
You need an equation relating Rx directly to Ry.
The moments expression should have some distances in it and needs to be turned into an equation.

How does this look: http://imgur.com/a/vGpKC

lights_camera_axion said:
How does this look: http://imgur.com/a/vGpKC
I think there's a problem with the moment due to the damper.
How are you defining v? If v is the velocity of the mass centre, how does that relate to the damping force? If it is the rate of expansion of the damper, how does bv relate to the moment exerted?

haruspex said:
I think there's a problem with the moment due to the damper.
How are you defining v? If v is the velocity of the mass centre, how does that relate to the damping force? If it is the rate of expansion of the damper, how does bv relate to the moment exerted?

I have defined v as the rate of expansion of the damper. I then convert the velocity of the point where the damper connects to the swinging door (xcom) to angular motion (v=r*omega). Does this make sense?

I have defined v as the rate of expansion of the damper. I then convert the velocity of the point where the damper connects to the swinging door (xcom) to angular motion (v=r*omega). Does this make sense?
No. The expansion rate of the damper is not the same as the velocity of the midpoint of the door.

haruspex said:
No. The expansion rate of the damper is not the same as the velocity of the midpoint of the door.

But the damper is geometrically constrained to the midpoint of the door...I guess I'm missing something here. Can you shed some light on mistake?

But the damper is geometrically constrained to the midpoint of the door...
That only says that the velocity of that end of the damper is the same as the velocity of the midpoint of the door. The expansion rate of the damper is different. The damper's expansion is along the line of the damper, which is not the velocity direction of the door's midpoint.
Consider the extreme, where door hangs straight down (in your picture), so the damper is at full stretch. The door's midpoint can still have a velocity (left to right now) but the damper is no longer expanding. Indeed, it will start to shrink.

haruspex said:
That only says that the velocity of that end of the damper is the same as the velocity of the midpoint of the door. The expansion rate of the damper is different. The damper's expansion is along the line of the damper, which is not the velocity direction of the door's midpoint.
Consider the extreme, where door hangs straight down (in your picture), so the damper is at full stretch. The door's midpoint can still have a velocity (left to right now) but the damper is no longer expanding. Indeed, it will start to shrink.

I see what you're saying. So for determining the damping force bv, the v that I was using was of the door midpoint, and not the damper expansion velocity. What I need to do, then, is find the vector projection of the door midpoint velocity along the damper's direction, yes?

How does that translate to angular velocity though? Given that I'm using a linear damper, would it actually be easier to solve this problem with a cartesian system?

find the vector projection of the door midnight velocity along the damper's direction, yes?
Yes. (It's an easy mistake to get that backwards.)
How does that translate to angular velocity though?
You already have the relationship between the damper expansion velocity and the force, between the damper force and the torque, and between the midpoint velocity and the angular velocity. Plugging in the right relationship between the expansion rate and the midpoint velocity completes the equation.

haruspex said:
Yes. (It's an easy mistake to get that backwards.)

You already have the relationship between the damper expansion velocity and the force, between the damper force and the torque, and between the midpoint velocity and the angular velocity. Plugging in the right relationship between the expansion rate and the midpoint velocity completes the equation.

That was an interesting discussion - thanks for your help.

So my correct net torque equation should read :

(L/2) * [ mg sinθ - (bL/2)*θ' * cos(θ/2)] = (mL^2 / 3) * θ''

Is that correct?

It seems I'm still left with a second order nonlinear ODE, unfortunately, so this won't be as neat as I had hoped.

(bL/2)*θ' * cos(θ/2)
No, that's still not it.
You have:
v = expansion rate of damper; u = velocity of midpoint
Fd = bv
v = u cos(θ/2)
u = (L/2)θ'
Moment = Fd(L/2) cos(θ/2)
Put that lot together.

haruspex said:
No, that's still not it.
You have:
v = expansion rate of damper; u = velocity of midpoint
Fd = bv
v = u cos(θ/2)
u = (L/2)θ'
Moment = Fd(L/2) cos(θ/2)
Put that lot together.

Fd(L/2) cos(θ/2) = bv (L/2) cos(θ/2) = b * u cos(θ/2) * (L/2) cos(θ/2) = b * (L/2)^2 * cos(θ/2)^2. I see. I am taking the cosine of the direction of the damping velocity, not the door velocity. That's why cos(θ/2) appears twice multiplicatively.

Quite a complex diff eq to describe seemingly simple motion, right?

Fd(L/2) cos(θ/2) = bv (L/2) cos(θ/2) = b * u cos(θ/2) * (L/2) cos(θ/2) = b * (L/2)^2 * cos(θ/2)^2. I see. I am taking the cosine of the direction of the damping velocity, not the door velocity. That's why cos(θ/2) appears twice multiplicatively.

Quite a complex diff eq to describe seemingly simple motion, right?
Yes, but I think that's not surprising. Damped motion is generally more complicated, and we know that pendulums are only approximately SHM.

Related to Linearly-damped rotational motion

What is linearly-damped rotational motion?

Linearly-damped rotational motion is a type of motion in which a rotating object experiences a linearly decreasing torque due to the presence of a damping force. This results in the object's rotational velocity decreasing over time until it reaches a steady state.

What causes linearly-damped rotational motion?

Linearly-damped rotational motion is caused by a damping force, which can be the result of various factors such as friction, air resistance, or viscous fluid resistance. This force acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, slowing it down.

What are the effects of linearly-damped rotational motion?

The main effect of linearly-damped rotational motion is the gradual decrease in the object's rotational velocity. This can also lead to a decrease in the object's rotational energy. Additionally, the object may experience a slight change in its rotational axis due to the damping force.

How is linearly-damped rotational motion different from undamped rotational motion?

In undamped rotational motion, there is no external force acting to slow down the rotating object. As a result, the object's rotational velocity remains constant. In contrast, linearly-damped rotational motion experiences a decrease in velocity due to the presence of a damping force.

What are some real-life examples of linearly-damped rotational motion?

One example of linearly-damped rotational motion is a spinning top. As the top loses energy due to friction with the surface it is spinning on, its rotational velocity decreases until it eventually falls over. Another example is a spinning coin that gradually slows down and comes to rest due to air resistance and friction with the surface it lands on.