Linearly Independent Sets and Spans in R4

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a basis set and its requirements of being linearly independent and spanning the vector space. A question is raised about how two vectors could form a basis for R4, as it seems impossible for them to span the entire space. The possibility of this being a subspace of R4 is also mentioned.
grassstrip1
Hey everyone I just had a quick thought that was bothering me. For a set to be a basis it must be linearly independent and span the vector space. I've seen cases however of only two vectors forming a basis for R4 I don't see how two vectors could span 4 space or am I missing something.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
grassstrip1 said:
Hey everyone I just had a quick thought that was bothering me. For a set to be a basis it must be linearly independent and span the vector space. I've seen cases however of only two vectors forming a basis for R4 I don't see how two vectors could span 4 space or am I missing something.

Thanks!
A set of two basis vectors couldn't possibly span R4. Are you sure that what you saw wasn't talking about a subspace of R4?

Likes alingy1

FAQ: Linearly Independent Sets and Spans in R4

What is the definition of a linearly independent set in R4?

A linearly independent set in R4 is a set of vectors in four-dimensional space that cannot be written as a linear combination of other vectors in the same set.

How do you determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent in R4?

To determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent in R4, you can create an augmented matrix with the vectors as columns and use row reduction to see if the matrix has a unique solution. If it does, the vectors are linearly independent. If not, they are linearly dependent.

What is the span of a set of vectors in R4?

The span of a set of vectors in R4 is the set of all possible linear combinations of those vectors. In other words, it is the set of all vectors that can be created by scaling and adding the original vectors in the set.

What is the relationship between linearly independent sets and spans in R4?

If a set of vectors is linearly independent in R4, then its span is equal to the entire vector space of R4. This means that any vector in R4 can be written as a linear combination of the vectors in the linearly independent set.

Can a set of vectors in R4 be both linearly independent and span only a subspace of R4?

Yes, it is possible for a set of vectors in R4 to be linearly independent and span only a subspace of R4. This would occur if the set of vectors is not large enough to span the entire vector space, but the vectors within the set are not dependent on each other.