Linux 3D Plotter/Visualization

• Thread starter minger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Linux
In summary, the speaker is looking for a free 3D plotter to use on Ubuntu 10.04. They have had trouble with their usual program and have found another one, but it cannot handle full multiblock structured grids. They are asking for suggestions for other free options.
minger
Science Advisor
Hey guys, quick question,

I am in a little bit of a bind. I need a 3D plotter to post-proc some CFD runs at home. I have typically used plot3d in the past, but am having trouble getting it to compile on my machine (Ubuntu 10.04). I did a search and there's another program which can handle this called mayavi2. Unfortunately, mayavi2 cannot handle a full multiblock structured grid; it will only show one block of data at a time.

Does anyone know of anything else I might be able to use? Free...preferable.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a GNU Plot, and Maxima CAS which are freely available. GNU plot is also integrated with octave, a free matlab-like software.

Related to Linux 3D Plotter/Visualization

What is a Linux 3D Plotter/Visualization?

A Linux 3D Plotter/Visualization is a computer program used to create three-dimensional visual representations of data. It allows users to plot and manipulate data in a three-dimensional space, giving a more realistic and intuitive representation of the data. It is widely used in scientific and engineering fields for data analysis and visualization.

What are the advantages of using a Linux 3D Plotter/Visualization?

One of the main advantages of using a Linux 3D Plotter/Visualization is its versatility. It can handle large and complex datasets, making it useful for a wide range of applications. It is also open-source, meaning it is free to use and can be customized to suit individual needs. Additionally, it offers advanced features such as interactive manipulation, animation, and the ability to overlay multiple datasets.

What types of data can be visualized using a Linux 3D Plotter/Visualization?

A Linux 3D Plotter/Visualization can handle a variety of data types, including numerical data, images, and even 3D models. It is commonly used for visualizing scientific data, such as temperature, pressure, and flow fields. It can also be used for visualizing geographic data, medical imaging, and financial data.

What are some popular Linux 3D Plotter/Visualization software?

Some popular Linux 3D Plotter/Visualization software include GNU Octave, Gnuplot, and ParaView. These programs have a user-friendly interface and offer a wide range of features and capabilities for data visualization. They are also well-documented and have a strong support community, making it easier for users to troubleshoot any issues they may encounter.

Is it necessary to have programming knowledge to use a Linux 3D Plotter/Visualization?

No, it is not necessary to have extensive programming knowledge to use a Linux 3D Plotter/Visualization. However, having a basic understanding of programming can be helpful in customizing and optimizing the software for specific applications. Most programs also offer tutorials and user guides to help beginners get started.