Linux for student and compilers

In summary, a physics student is wondering if they should learn and run Linux on their Mac, and specifically asks about the recommended version for science students. They also ask for recommendations for Fortran and C++ compilers for Mac. It is suggested that they start with the OS X terminal, as it uses similar commands to Linux. It is also mentioned that a C++ compiler may already be included with OS X, and that a Fortran compiler can be found through Fink or Macports. If they have extra time and resources, they could also install a Linux distribution in a virtual machine using VirtualBox.
LBloom
Hi, I'm a undergrad Physics students (starting junior level mechanics and E&M next semester). I've just taken a course in basic computation, so I know more about using a linux terminal. Currently I use Mac OS X and I was wondering if it was advisable that I run and learn how to use Linux too (using parallels probably). If so, which version would be recommended? I was thinking about Ubuntu since it seems the most basic, but I don't know if its worth the time or if there's something else better suited for science students.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know a good fortran or C++ compiler for a Mac? I don't have the latest one (snow leapord) and my computer doesn't seem to come with one. Are there any compilers anyone can recommend. Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
The OS X terminal uses mostly the same commands as a linux shell, so you may want to start there.

Maybe this is a little late, but as story645 says, if you just want to use basic Linux terminal commands and command-line compilation of c++ and fortran code, there's really no need to install Linux. Most common Linux commands should already be there by default. I believe a c++ compiler (g++) is included with Mac OS X, although you may have to install XCode (or some thing similar--I forget the exact name of the developer tools). Google for "gfortran" if you want a fortran compiler. I got mine from Fink (basically an open source package manager), but you can probably find stand-alone binary if that's all you want. If you do go with Fink (or similarly you can choose Macports), you can also install most other software available for Linux, so there's little need to actually install Linux.

If you do have a bit of extra time and hard drive space (as well as enough RAM) and want to play around with an actual Linux distribution, I would suggest installing it in a virtual machine using VirtualBox (like Parallels, but free, and works perfectly well. Parallels probably works well too, but it costs money and I've never tried it). Any mainstream distribution like Ubuntu or OpenSUSE should be very easy to use. In fact, it's possible you'll find this easier than using Fink or Macports to install open source software in Mac OS.

FAQ: Linux for student and compilers

1. What is Linux?

Linux is an open-source operating system that is widely used in various industries, including education. It is known for its stability, security, and flexibility, making it a popular choice for students and developers.

2. How is Linux beneficial for students?

Linux offers a wide range of benefits for students, including cost-effectiveness, access to a vast library of free software, and customization options. It also allows students to learn and improve their coding skills through its open-source nature.

3. What are compilers and why are they important for students using Linux?

Compilers are software programs that translate human-readable code into machine-readable code. They are essential for students using Linux as they allow them to write and run programs on the operating system. Compilers also help students understand the fundamentals of programming languages.

4. Can I use Linux for coding and compiling on any type of computer?

Yes, Linux can be installed on various types of computers, including laptops and desktops. It is compatible with both Intel and ARM-based processors, making it a versatile option for students and developers.

5. How can I get started with Linux for student and compilers?

To get started with Linux, you can download a Linux distribution of your choice and install it on your computer. Popular distributions for students and developers include Ubuntu, Debian, and Fedora. You can also find many online resources and tutorials to help you get familiar with Linux and its compilers.