Liquids, internal energy and specific heat capacity

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between temperature change, heat capacity, and the first law of thermodynamics in regards to an adiabatic process involving a liquid in a container. It is mentioned that the formula dU = m*s*dT is the correct solution for finding the work done on the system, contrary to the misconception that the formula is dQ = m*s*dT. It is also noted that while the standard textbook definition for heat capacity involves heat (Q), the more basic and correct formula is dU = m*s*dT. Various resources and textbooks on thermodynamics are suggested for further understanding of the topic.
metalrose
A liquid contained in an adiabatic container is shaked vigorously so that it its temp. Increases.

The heat capacity for the liquid is given, the rise in temp. Is given.

According to the first law of thermo, dQ=dW + dU
here dQ is 0.

Asked, is to find the work done on the system, i.e. -dW =dU

The correct solution to this is dU = m*s*dT

My question is , how can this formula be used ?? Since the correct formula is dQ=m*s*dT
??

Science news on Phys.org
No the correct formula is not q = msΔT.

q is the heat transferred into the system and this is defined to be zero by the adiabatic nature of the process.

Work is transferred into the system.
Within the system this work is converted to heat by interparticulate friction.
This heat increases the temperature of the system.

The correct equation connecting tmeperature rise to heat used to effect that temperature rise is

Q = mass times specific heat times temperature rise.

Q is numerically (and factually) equal to the work transferred into the system.

You should remember that q and w are always the energy that crosses the boundary into or out of the system when used in the first law.
The internal energy is a sort of book keeping account to balance the inputs and outputs.

metalrose said:
A liquid contained in an adiabatic container is shaked vigorously so that it its temp. Increases.

The heat capacity for the liquid is given, the rise in temp. Is given.

According to the first law of thermo, dQ=dW + dU
here dQ is 0.

Asked, is to find the work done on the system, i.e. -dW =dU

The correct solution to this is dU = m*s*dT

My question is , how can this formula be used ?? Since the correct formula is dQ=m*s*dT
??

Actually, the more basic (and correct) formula for an incompressible liquid is dU = m*s*dT. If you add heat to an incompressible liquid that is not being deformed, you get dU = m*s*dT = dQ, and this gives you a relationship between the amount of heat added to the temperature change. On the other hand, if you do work to deform an incompressible liquid without adding heat, you get dQ = 0, but still have dU = m*s*dT.

Chestermiller said:
Actually, the more basic (and correct) formula for an incompressible liquid is dU = m*s*dT. If you add heat to an incompressible liquid that is not being deformed, you get dU = m*s*dT = dQ, and this gives you a relationship between the amount of heat added to the temperature change. On the other hand, if you do work to deform an incompressible liquid without adding heat, you get dQ = 0, but still have dU = m*s*dT.

I think that would be correct. I was thinking along the same lines initially. But the standard textbook definition of heat capacities involve heat, i.e. Q and not U. Are you sure your formulation is correct?

And if it is, could you point me to some textbooks or resources where I could find heat capacities defined in terms of dU ?

metalrose said:
I think that would be correct. I was thinking along the same lines initially. But the standard textbook definition of heat capacities involve heat, i.e. Q and not U. Are you sure your formulation is correct?

And if it is, could you point me to some textbooks or resources where I could find heat capacities defined in terms of dU ?

Yes. Defining it in terms of Q is just for beginners.

See Amazon under the key word Thermodynamics

Smith and Van Ness

Van Ness and Abbot

Related to Liquids, internal energy and specific heat capacity

1. What is a liquid?

A liquid is a state of matter in which particles are able to move freely and flow past each other. Liquids have a fixed volume but take the shape of their container.

2. What is internal energy?

Internal energy is the total energy contained within a substance, including the energy of its particles' motion and interactions.

3. How does specific heat capacity relate to liquids?

Specific heat capacity is a measure of how much energy is needed to raise the temperature of a substance by a certain amount. Liquids have a specific heat capacity that is typically higher than gases, meaning they require more energy to increase in temperature.

4. What factors affect the specific heat capacity of a liquid?

The specific heat capacity of a liquid can be affected by the type of liquid, its temperature, and its molecular structure.

5. Can the specific heat capacity of a liquid change?

Yes, the specific heat capacity of a liquid can change depending on its physical and chemical properties, such as its phase or composition.