List of Mathematica Built-in Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to find a list of functions and operators in Mathematica, including using the "Index of Functions" or executing commands such as "?? A*" to get a clickable list of symbols. It also mentions the usefulness of Mathematica's ability to recognize patterns when searching for specific functions.
Phrak
I couldn't find list of functions or operators.

My naive approch was to list the elements of Symbol as Symbol seems to be the Head of all functions--but this didn't work.

Is there a way for Mathematica to generate this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Baring that, what is a good language reference, hardcopy or online text?

Help >> Documentation Center

on the bottom left "Index of Functions"or search "guide/AlphabeticalListing"

Thanks Hepth! That opened up a whole new part of the Wolfram website of which I was not aware.

Also, in Mathematica if you execute:
?? A*
then you will get a list of all symbols beginning with A. The list is clickable so that you can find out more about any one.

That's useful. I found mathematica can also usfully recognise patterns such as

?? *Form
?? P*Form
?? *Hold*

FAQ: List of Mathematica Built-in Functions

1. What is a built-in function in Mathematica?

A built-in function in Mathematica is a pre-defined function that is already included in the software and can be used without having to define it separately. These functions are designed to perform specific mathematical or computational tasks.

2. How many built-in functions are there in Mathematica?

As of version 12.1, there are over 5,500 built-in functions in Mathematica. This number continues to grow with each new release of the software.

3. How do I find the list of all built-in functions in Mathematica?

You can find the list of all built-in functions in Mathematica by using the ?*` command in the Mathematica input bar. This will bring up a list of all the built-in functions with their corresponding documentation.

4. Can I create my own built-in function in Mathematica?

Yes, you can create your own built-in function in Mathematica by using the Set or SetDelayed command to define the function and then using the Attributes command to specify the attributes of the function.

5. Is there a way to search for a specific built-in function in Mathematica?

Yes, you can use the ?`name` command to search for a specific built-in function in Mathematica. This will bring up the documentation for that function, including its syntax and usage examples.