List of modified gravity theories

In summary, there is an encyclopaedia of inflationary models but only a handful of modified gravity models, such as Loop Quantum Gravity and TeVeS. Most modified gravity concepts are not proper theories but rather ways to investigate the possibility of modified gravity. There is a review article on modified gravity theories and their implications on recent discoveries, such as gravity waves at LIGO.
windy miller
There is a an encyclopaedia of all the different inflationary models. But I am wondering is there is a similar list of modified gravity models ?

Space news on Phys.org
windy miller said:
There is a an encyclopaedia of all the different inflationary models. But I am wondering is there is a similar list of modified gravity models ?
As far as I know, there's only a handful:
1) Loop Quantum Gravity: an attempt to quantize gravity.
2) TeVeS (tensor-vector-scalar gravity): basically an attempt to turn MOND into an actual theory of gravity.

Most of the rest of the modified gravity concepts (like MOND) aren't really proper theories, as they're basically curve fitting without a physical model. They can probably be best thought of as ways to investigate the possibility of modified gravity, and if one of them seemed to fit the data, the next step would be to come up with a physical model.

windy miller said:

There's a review article here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0370157312000105.

This article discussed the implications of more recent discoveries, i.p. the discovery of gravity waves at LIGO, on modified gravity theories: https://www.quantamagazine.org/trou...ives-to-einsteins-theory-of-gravity-20180430/.

Likes windy miller

FAQ: List of modified gravity theories

1. What is the purpose of modified gravity theories?

Modified gravity theories aim to explain the observed effects of gravity that cannot be fully explained by Einstein's theory of general relativity. These theories propose alternative explanations for the behavior of gravity at different scales, such as the rotation of galaxies and the expansion of the universe.

2. How do modified gravity theories differ from general relativity?

Modified gravity theories introduce new equations or concepts that modify the behavior of gravity, in contrast to general relativity which is based on the geometry of spacetime. Some theories propose that gravity is a fundamental force, while others suggest that it may emerge from other fundamental forces.

3. What evidence supports modified gravity theories?

There is currently no definitive evidence that supports modified gravity theories over general relativity. However, some observations, such as the rotation speeds of galaxies, have been difficult to explain with general relativity alone. These discrepancies have led to the development of modified gravity theories as possible explanations.

4. How do modified gravity theories impact our understanding of the universe?

If proven to be accurate, modified gravity theories would significantly change our understanding of the universe and the fundamental forces that govern it. They could potentially provide a unified theory of physics that explains both gravity and other fundamental forces, and unlock new insights into the nature of dark matter and dark energy.

5. Are there any potential applications of modified gravity theories?

If modified gravity theories are proven to be accurate, they could have significant implications for technology and space exploration. They could potentially lead to new methods for propulsion, navigation, and communication in space, as well as improve our ability to predict and understand the behavior of celestial objects.