List of STEM Masterworks: THE SUMMARY

• Other
  • Thread starter Juanda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
Juanda
Gold Member
This thread only works as a summary from the original source: List of STEM Masterworks in Physics, Mechanics, Electrodynamics...

The original thread got very long and somewhat hard to read so I have compiled the recommendations from that thread in an online (Google Drive) spreadsheet.
SUMMARY
Permits are granted so you can make comments on the spreadsheet but I'll initially be the only one capable of edition. This is to avoid the possibility of someone deleting everything either by mistake or purposely (or other nastier possibilities).

I tried to avoid duplicates and books that were definitely discarded. For some books, there is some controversy so I added a section column to include those concerns that were mentioned in the original thread.

I also tried to divide the books into broad categories to simplify future searches. For some books, I'm not sure of where to fit them so I left it blank.
By the way, categorizing is very hard and somewhat subjective so be easy on me.

Lastly, I added two columns regarding the target audience of the book and the necessary background for a proper understanding. I'm completely unfamiliar with most of the books so I left that blank for now.

If there are any comments in relation to the summary, feedback is welcome.
If there are some books in the original thread I missed, let me know and I'll add them.
If there are some books you'd like to add, comment it first in the original thread since this one is only a summary.

Thank you to all the contributors to the original thread.

NOTE: The original thread initially used the word "Bibles" instead the "Masterworks". I guess it's been updated to avoid unnecessary religious connotations. I mention it here in case you're confused on reading the original thread and finding several mentions to bibles, old and new testaments.

• Love
Likes gmax137 and PhDeezNutz
Physics news on Phys.org
Damn you really put in work to this. Much appreciated.

Likes Juanda
PhDeezNutz said:
Damn you really put in work to this. Much appreciated.
There are more than 200 recommendations, which is far more than I expected when I first started, to be honest.

My only disappointment is that there aren't many recommendations related to Engineering, the subject I find most interesting.

Don't get me wrong—I'm sure all the books mentioned have great information. However, as a mechanical engineer, I don't think I'll be diving into quantum physics anytime soon.