Livinginmyownreality's question at Yahoo Answers regarding an indefinite integral

In summary, the integral of sqrt(x-1)/x can be evaluated using substitution, giving the result 2sqrt(x-1) - 2tan^-1*sqrt(x-1) + C.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

What is the integral of sqrt(x-1)/x. Show Work.?

Answer should be 2sqrt(x-1) - 2arctan*sqrt(x-1) + C

Use substitution.

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello livinginmyownreality,

We are given to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle I=\int\frac{\sqrt{x-1}}{x}\,dx\)

Using the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=\sqrt{x-1}\,\therefore\,du=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{x-1}}\,dx\,therefore\,dx=2u\,du\)

\(\displaystyle u^2=x-1\implies x=u^2+1\)

And so we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=2\int\frac{u^2}{u^2+1}\,du=2\int\frac{u^2+1-1}{u^2+1}\,du=2\int 1-\frac{1}{u^2+1}\,du\)

From this we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=2\left(u-\tan^{-1}(u) \right)+C\)

Back-substituting for $u$, and distributing the $2$, we get:

\(\displaystyle I=2\sqrt{x-1}-2\tan^{-1}\left(\sqrt{x-1} \right)+C\)

Related to Livinginmyownreality's question at Yahoo Answers regarding an indefinite integral

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the antiderivative of a function. It is used to calculate the original function when given its derivative.

2. How is an indefinite integral different from a definite integral?

An indefinite integral does not have specific limits and results in a function with a constant added, while a definite integral has specific limits and results in a single numerical value.

3. What is the process for solving an indefinite integral?

The process for solving an indefinite integral involves using integration rules and techniques to find the antiderivative of the given function. This may include using substitution, integration by parts, and other methods.

4. What are some real-world applications of indefinite integrals?

Indefinite integrals are used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to solve problems involving rates of change and accumulation. For example, they can be used to calculate the distance traveled by an object with a given velocity function or the total cost of producing a certain number of items.

5. Can indefinite integrals have multiple solutions?

Yes, indefinite integrals can have multiple solutions, as adding a constant to the antiderivative does not change its derivative. Therefore, there are infinitely many possible solutions for an indefinite integral. However, these solutions may differ by a constant value.