Load Angle of Synchronous Motor at No Load

In summary, the participants of the conversation discussed the load angle of a synchronous motor when running at no load. They concluded that the load angle would be 0 degrees as there is no load and therefore no active power. They also mentioned that the rotor and stator magnetic fields are aligned in this scenario.
rob1985
hi all,

Just a quick question, what would the load angle be of a synchronous motor when running at no load. would it be 0 degrees or 45 degrees

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you think and why?

to be honest I am really not sure, I suspect it is zero as there is no load so the magnetic field of the rotor is the same as the stator. am I on the right tracks

I agree w/ you, although I'm not sure I'd call it a "load angle" since there's no load :smile:

rob1985 said:
to be honest I am really not sure, I suspect it is zero as there is no load so the magnetic field of the rotor is the same as the stator. am I on the right tracks
Yes. Active power is proportional to the sine of the load angle. No load, no active power, hence zero load angle.
rob1985 said:
so the magnetic field of the rotor is the same as the stator
No. You can say rotor magnetic field and stator magnetic field are aligned, or in other words, rotor is aligned with the resultant magnetic field.

Likes Neil Hayes and jim hardy

FAQ: Load Angle of Synchronous Motor at No Load

What is load angle at no load?

Load angle at no load is the angle between the supply voltage and the current in an AC electrical system when there is no load or resistance connected. It is also known as the power factor angle.

Why is load angle at no load important?

Load angle at no load is important because it indicates the efficiency of an electrical system. A lower load angle at no load means that the system is more efficient, while a higher load angle at no load means that the system is less efficient.

How is load angle at no load calculated?

Load angle at no load is calculated using the cosine of the power factor angle. The power factor angle can be calculated using the ratio of the active power (in watts) to the apparent power (in volt-amperes).

What factors affect load angle at no load?

The main factor that affects load angle at no load is the power factor. Other factors that can affect it include the type and quality of the electrical equipment, the length and type of electrical cables used, and the amount of electrical load connected to the system.

How can load angle at no load be improved?

Load angle at no load can be improved by increasing the power factor of the system. This can be done by using power factor correction devices, such as capacitors, to reduce the amount of reactive power in the system. Additionally, using high-quality electrical equipment and minimizing the length of electrical cables can also improve load angle at no load.

Back