Locking Computer System while Out for a While?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to keep a computer locked for 10-15 minutes without logging out and having to reopen all tabs. The options given are to use Ctrl-Alt-Delete and select "Lock this Computer", configure the account to use a password, or use the "Switch User" option. However, the "Switch User" option may log the user off as well. The suggestion is to try using the Windows-L shortcut to see if it has the desired effect. It is also mentioned that the feature may be disabled and the only way to log back in is if someone reboots or shuts down the system.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
Is there a way of keeping the computer (Win 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB) locked, meaning locking access by others while out for some 10-15 minutes? I don't need this while at work, but I am in a school lab, and I have many tabs open; I don't want to log out and then have to reopen all the tabs. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ctrl-Alt-Delete, then select Lock this Computer.

Likes WWGD
Borg said:
Ctrl-Alt-Delete, then select Lock this Computer.
Thanks, but only options I get are: Switch User, Sign Out Task Manager.

WWGD said:
You have to configure your account to use a password or disable automatic logon in order to use the lock feature.

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Use switch user. This will keep your session active and allow others to use the system while you are away. Unless the system is rebooted, all your programs will remain active when you log back in.

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
I guess that the admins set it up so that students wouldn't lock out others and walk away for the day. If that's the case, I would verify that Switch User doesn't log you off as well.

Likes WWGD
Try Windows-L

Likes WWGD, stoomart, Nidum and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
Try Windows-L
Thanks, but it seems to have no effect whatsoever.

WWGD said:
Thanks, but it seems to have no effect whatsoever.
Do a quick test.
then click switch user

this will drop you back to the login screen.
then log in again and verify that the browser is still open.

this is how windows is supposed to normally behave. Switch user is exactly what you are looking to do.

Edit: the only thing that can derail you is if someone reboots/shutsdown the system.

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Thanks, but it seems to have no effect whatsoeve

Then the feature is disabled.

FAQ: Locking Computer System while Out for a While?

1. What is the purpose of locking a computer system while out for a while?

The purpose of locking a computer system while out for a while is to protect sensitive or confidential information from being accessed by unauthorized individuals. It also helps prevent any accidental changes or deletions to files or settings while the user is away.

2. How do I lock my computer system?

To lock your computer system, you can either press the "Windows + L" keys on your keyboard or click on the "Lock" option in the Start menu. Some computers also have a dedicated lock button or switch on the keyboard or the computer itself.

3. How long should I lock my computer system for when I am away?

It is recommended to lock your computer system for the entire duration that you will be away. This can range from a few minutes to several hours, depending on your needs. It is better to err on the side of caution and lock your system for longer periods of time.

4. Can someone still access my computer system if it is locked?

If you have properly locked your computer system, it should be difficult for someone to gain access. However, there are some advanced hacking techniques that can bypass the lock screen. It is recommended to also have a strong password and enable other security measures, such as two-factor authentication, to further protect your system.

5. What should I do if I forget to lock my computer system before leaving?

If you realize that you have forgotten to lock your computer system, you can remotely lock it using a device or application that is linked to your computer. Some operating systems also have the option to automatically lock the system after a certain period of inactivity. It is important to always remember to lock your system for added security.