Log Question - Relationship between two points on log function

In summary, the conversation revolves around a Calculus Log question where the base is 10 and the given log values are 0.301103 for log (2) and 0.47715 for log (3). The question asks to find log base 6 (5) and estimate the number of digits in 15^10. There is some confusion about whether the given log values can be used to solve the question or not, but eventually it is determined that log base 6 (5) can be found using the given log values and log base 10 rules. However, there is still some difficulty in finding log10(5).
maplesyrup23
Hi Physics Forums,

I understand that I usually need to show that I've attempted a question in order to get feedback, but I have absolutely no idea how to approach this one Calculus Log question.

Base = 10

log (2) = 0.301103, log (3) = 0.47715

a.) Find log base 6 (5)

b.) Estimate the number of digits in 15^10

I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it isn't log base 5 of 6? Question a is impossible to do with the information given.

As for b, think of log base 10 and how numbers are written in base 10. Like, for example, 145 = 1*10^2 + 4*10^1 + 5*10^0. Since you know that a*10^1 + b^10^0, where a and b are between 0 and 9 inclusive, will never sum with c*10^2 to make a number higher than 999. log base 10 of any number between 100 and 999 will truncate to 2. Likewise, the log of any number between 1000 to 9999 will truncate down to 3. See the pattern?

Last edited:
TylerH said:
Are you sure it isn't log base 5 of 6? Question a is impossible to do with the information given.

It is possible I am reading it wrong, I haven't seen it written like this before, look at the printscreen.

EDIT: Sorry about the size of the image.

Attachments

• PhysicsForums.png
    PhysicsForums.png
    447 bytes · Views: 487
That's definitely log base 6 of 5. There may be a way to do it, but if there is, I don't know it.

TylerH said:
That's definitely log base 6 of 5. There may be a way to do it, but if there is, I don't know it.

Crap, thanks anyways.

TylerH said:
That is not true.

recall logb(xy)=logb(x)+logb(y)
a.) Find log base 6 (5)
log6(5)=log10(5)/log10(6)

recall logb(x^y)=y*logb(x)
digits~log10(15^10)

I assumed it was to be done with the log10 of 2 and 3. To clarify, it is impossible to estimate log6(5) with log10(2) and log10(3), using algebraic means.

lurflurf said:
That is not true.

recall logb(xy)=logb(x)+logb(y)
a.) Find log base 6 (5)
log6(5)=log10(5)/log10(6)

recall logb(x^y)=y*logb(x)
digits~log10(15^10)

yeah Tyler was right. You're supposed to be using the given log values in the OP to do this question.

log 3 = 0.477,
and log 2 = 0.301

^No. Tyler said the given log values could not be used to do this question, but they can.

Try to rewrite each desired log ie log10(6), log10(5), log10(15) in terms of the given logs log10(2) = 0.301103, log10(3) = 0.47715, log10(10)=1 by using the familar rules
logb(xy)=logb(x)+logb(y)
logb(x/y)=logb(x)-logb(y)
logb(x^y)=y*logb(x)

log10(6) is trivial. But how, exactly, do you get 5 by multiply or dividing 2 and 3? Once you have log10(5) with whatever method you decide to use, log10(15) also becomes trivial. The problem is log10(5), you're never going to find a way to get log10(5) with the given the information.

I am not being a smart ***, you will benifit more if you try to do your own assignment.
You should know that log10(10)=1, which I reminded you of above, from which
log10(5)=log10(10/2)=log10(10)-log10(2)=1.000000-0.301103

You should know its not my assignment.

I'll concede, I didn't see that way.

FAQ: Log Question - Relationship between two points on log function

What is a log function?

A log function is a mathematical function that calculates the exponent needed to produce a given number. It is the inverse of an exponential function and is commonly written as log base b of x, where b is the base and x is the number.

How is the relationship between two points on a log function determined?

The relationship between two points on a log function is determined by the distance between the points on the x-axis. This distance represents the exponent needed to produce the second point from the first point on the y-axis.

Can two points on a log function have the same y-value?

No, two points on a log function cannot have the same y-value. This is because each point on a log function corresponds to a unique exponent, and no two exponents can yield the same result.

How does changing the base of a log function affect the relationship between two points?

Changing the base of a log function affects the relationship between two points by changing the steepness of the curve. A larger base results in a steeper curve, while a smaller base results in a flatter curve. This changes the distance between points on the x-axis and the resulting exponents needed for their corresponding y-values.

What are some real-world applications of the log function?

The log function is commonly used in fields such as economics, finance, and science to represent exponential growth or decay. It is also used in computer science for analyzing algorithms and in signal processing for measuring signal strength on a logarithmic scale.