Logan's question at Yahoo Answers involving an IVP with a linear 1st order ODE

In summary: DMark.In summary, the conversation was about solving a first order linear initial value problem. The problem was given as 2(dy/dx) - 4xy = 8x, and the initial condition was y(0) = 12. The solution to the problem was found by dividing through by 2, computing the integrating factor, and then using initial conditions to solve for the constant in the solution. The integrating factor is found using the product rule and is written as e^(-x^2). The conversation also included a discussion about how to compute the integrating factor and the reasoning behind it.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Initial value problem?

2(dy/dx) - 4xy = 8x. y(0)=12

Help please

Here is a link to the question:

Initial value problem? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Logan,

We are given the first order linear IVP to solve:

\(\displaystyle 2\frac{dy}{dx}-4xy=8x\) where \(\displaystyle y(0)=12\)

To find the general solution to the ODE, I would first divide through by 2 to obtain:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}-2xy=4x\)

Next, let's compute the integrating factor:

\(\displaystyle \mu(x)=e^{-2\int x\,dx}=e^{-x^2}\) which gives us:

\(\displaystyle e^{-x^2}\frac{dy}{dx}-2xe^{-x^2}y=4xe^{-x^2}\)

Now we may rewrite the left side as the differentiation of a product:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(e^{-x^2}y \right)=4xe^{-x^2}\)

Integrate with respect to $x$:

\(\displaystyle \int\,d\left(e^{-x^2}y \right)=-2\int e^{-x^2}(-2x\,dx)\)

\(\displaystyle e^{-x^2}y=-2e^{-x^2}+C\)

Multiply through by \(\displaystyle e^{x^2}\):

\(\displaystyle y(x)=-2+Ce^{x^2}\)

Now, use initial conditions to determine the parameter $C$:

\(\displaystyle y(0)=-2+Ce^{0^2}=12\implies C=14\)

and so the solution satisfying the IVP is:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=14e^{x^2}-2\)

To Logan and any other guests viewing this topic, I invite and encourage you to post other ODE problems in our http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f17/ forum.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Could you explain how you computed the integral factor some more? For example how did you know and come up with μ(x)=e−2∫xdx=e−x2 ?

Thanks

It is the standard method used to compute the integrating factor, which makes it possible to rewrite the left side as the product of a differentiation.

Consider the linear ODE in standard form:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}+P(x)y=Q(x)\)

Now, if we multiply through by the integrating factor \(\displaystyle \mu(x)=e^{\int P(x)\,dx}\) we get:

\(\displaystyle e^{\int P(x)\,dx}\frac{dy}{dx}+e^{\int P(x)\,dx}P(x)y=e^{\int P(x)\,dx}Q(x)\)

Observe now that:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(e^{\int P(x)\,dx}y \right)=e^{\int P(x)\,dx}\frac{dy}{dx}+e^{\int P(x)\,dx}P(x)y\)

and so the ODE may be written:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\left(e^{\int P(x)\,dx}y \right)=e^{\int P(x)\,dx}Q(x)\)

Integrating with respect to $x$, we have:

\(\displaystyle \int\,d\left(e^{\int P(x)\,dx}y \right)=\int e^{\int P(x)\,dx}Q(x)\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle e^{\int P(x)\,dx}y=\int e^{\int P(x)\,dx}Q(x)\,dx\)

Solving for $y$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=e^{-\int P(x)\,dx}\int e^{\int P(x)\,dx}Q(x)\,dx\)

Ok so if its in this form
dydx+P(x)y=Q(x)

I will always compute the integral with
μ(x)=e∫P(x)dx ?

Or only then because of P(x) in the problem

Thanks so much!

LLand314 said:
Ok so if its in this form
dydx+P(x)y=Q(x)

I will always compute the integral with
μ(x)=e∫P(x)dx ?

Or only then because of P(x) in the problem

Thanks so much!

Without using $\LaTeX$, I would write the integrating factor as either:

μ(x)=exp(∫P(x)dx ) or μ(x)=e^(∫P(x)dx)

Yes, this is how it is computed because of the special nature of the derivative of the exponential function with $e$ as the base. Did you understand how it allows the left side of the ODE in standard linear form to be simplified as the derivative with respect to $x$ of the product $y(x)\cdot\mu(x)$?

MarkFL said:
Without using $\LaTeX$, I would write the integrating factor as either:

μ(x)=exp(∫P(x)dx ) or μ(x)=e^(∫P(x)dx)

Yes, this is how it is computed because of the special nature of the derivative of the exponential function with $e$ as the base. Did you understand how it allows the left side of the ODE in standard linear form to be simplified as the derivative with respect to $x$ of the product $y(x)\cdot\mu(x)$?
O ok sorry I just tried to copy and paste the information, I haven't learned Latex yet. I think I kind of understand it just need to do some more problems.

moderator edit: I have moved your new question into its own topic here:

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f17/solving-first-order-linear-initial-value-problem-4051/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey no worries, I was just showing you a better way to write the integrating factor, just for clarity. :D

I am happy you have registered and are participating here! (Yes)

Last edited:
Just in case you're wondering why the Integrating Factor is \(\displaystyle \displaystyle e^{P(x)\,dx}\), let's look at a general first order linear DE in more detail...

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} + P\,y = Q\), where P, Q and y are functions of x.

What we would like is to write the LHS as a single derivative, because then we would be able to solve for y by integrating. To do this, we make use of the Product Rule \(\displaystyle \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left[ f\,g \right] = f\,\frac{dg}{dx} + g\,\frac{df}{dx}\). At the moment, the LHS doesn't look like a product rule expansion, but it's possible to multiply by a function to make this so. Call this function I. Then

\(\displaystyle I\,\frac{dy}{dx} + I\,P\,y = I\,Q\)

Now in order for the LHS to be a product rule expansion, then that would mean

\(\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{dI}{dx} &= I\,P \\ \frac{1}{I}\,\frac{dI}{dx} &= P \\ \int{\frac{1}{I}\,\frac{dI}{dx}\,dx} &= \int{P\,dx} \\ \int{\frac{1}{I} \,dI } &= \int{P\,dx} \\ \ln{|I|} &= \int{P\,dx} \\ I &= A\,e^{\int{P\,dx}} \end{align*} \)

So any value of the constant A will give an integrating factor that works, so we usually just choose the principal value with A = 1. So if we multiply both sides of the DE by \(\displaystyle \displaystyle e^{\int{P\,dx}}\) we find

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} e^{\int{P\,dx}}\,\frac{dy}{dx} + e^{\int{P\,dx}}\,P\,y &= e^{\int{P\,dx}}\,Q \\ \frac{d}{dx} \left( e^{\int{P\,dx}}\,y \right) &= e^{\int{P\,dx}}\,Q \\ e^{\int{P\,dx}}\,y &= \int{e^{\int{P\,dx}}\,Q\,dx} \\ y &= e^{-\int{P\,dx}}\int{e^{\int{P\,dx}}\,Q\,dx} \end{align*}\)

Hope that helps...

Related to Logan's question at Yahoo Answers involving an IVP with a linear 1st order ODE

1. What is an IVP?

An initial value problem (IVP) is a type of differential equation that involves finding a solution to an equation while also satisfying a set of initial conditions. These initial conditions usually involve a specific value for the dependent variable at a given point or interval.

2. What is a linear 1st order ODE?

A linear first order ordinary differential equation (ODE) is an equation that involves a single independent variable and its derivative, with the highest derivative being of first order and the equation being linear in terms of the dependent variable and its derivatives. This means that the dependent variable and its derivatives are raised to the power of 1 and are not multiplied together.

3. How do you solve an IVP with a linear 1st order ODE?

To solve an IVP with a linear first order ODE, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution. These methods involve manipulating the equation to isolate the dependent variable and its derivatives, and then using the initial conditions to find the specific solution.

4. What is the importance of solving an IVP with a linear 1st order ODE?

IVPs with linear first order ODEs are important in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model various real-world situations and can help predict the behavior of systems over time. Solving these equations allows us to understand and control these systems.

5. Are there any applications of IVPs with linear 1st order ODEs in everyday life?

Yes, there are many applications of IVPs with linear first order ODEs in everyday life. Some examples include predicting population growth or decay, modeling the spread of diseases, and calculating the rate of cooling or heating in a system. These equations are also used in various fields of engineering, such as electrical circuits and chemical reactions.