Logarithm of a discrete random variable

In summary: If each individual random variable had the uniform distribution over 1,2,...,N, then the entropy of the sequence of random variables would be L log_2 N, where N and L are fixed constants, not random variables.
SW VandeCarr said:
Hello LuculentCabal.

Using your formula, H would be random variable over the set {0, 1, 1.58, 2, 2.33, 2.59} assuming a uniform probability distribution of die face outcomes and a fixed L=1. Is this what you want? N as you define it, is the number of (distinct) characters in the set for which H is determined. This number is determined by the result of the die throw. We are NOT talking about the set of possible outcomes for the die throw which have N=6 and a uniform P=1/6. In this case H is constant and equals 2.59 for L=1.

OK, I am starting to confuse myself here.

//-------------------------------Begin Brain Storm----------------------------------
Letting L = 1:

If N were a six-sided fair-die throw, there would be six possible outcomes so N would be six. In this case, H would just be 2.59.

However, if you threw a six-sided fair-die to determine the number of sides on your fair-die N, then H would be a random variable over the set {0, 1, 1.58, 2, 2.33, 2.59}
//-------------------------------End Brain Storm----------------------------------

Perhaps I am confusing random variables and random processes, but those are details for another thread. If this brainstorm is correct, then I will have no further questions/comments for this thread.

Thank you all again. It has been greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LuculentCabal said:
I am trying to explore a number of things regarding the entropy of random strings and am wondering how a character set of random size would affect the entropy of strings made from that set.

Using the following formula, I need to take the log of a discrete random variable
[tex]H = L\log_2 N[/tex]

where:
H is the entropy of the string in bits,
L is the length of the string in characters
N is the discrete random variable representing the number of possible characters to choose from

How do you take the logarithm of a discrete random variable? Is there a general method that takes into account any maximum or minimum size of this variable?

Thanks in advance

These are your definitions of N and H. (Actually N is just the number of characters if you are defining N as a random variable.) Usually these are constants. You're making N (and therefore H) variables. You can do this, but you can't change the number of faces on the die. If you're letting the die determine the value of N, fine, but the character set you are actually then using is some unspecified set of sets ranging from 1 to 6 characters. You need not specify the characters other than they are each unique (no repeats within any of the six subsets: {{a},{a,b},...,{a,b,c,d,e,f}}). Like I said, this is pretty esoteric.

If you were using the die in the usual way it's quite straightforward: H=(L)log_2(N)=log_2(6)=2.59 when L=1. If you want L to also be a variable then H=L(2.59) in this case.

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
These are your definitions of N and H. (Actually N is just the number of characters if you are defining N as a random variable.) Usually these are constants. You're making N (and therefore H) variables. You can do this, but you can't change the number of faces on the die. If you're letting the die determine the value of N, fine, but the character set you are actually then using is some unspecified set of sets ranging from 1 to 6 characters. You need not specify the characters other than they are each unique (no repeats within any of the six subsets: {{a},{a,b},...,{a,b,c,d,e,f}}). Like I said, this is pretty esoteric.

If you were using the die in the usual way it's quite straightforward: H=(L)log_2(N)=log_2(6)=2.59 when L=1. If you want L to also be a variable then H=L(2.59) in this case.

I am defining N as being the length of a set of characters where the length of the set is random (hence rolling a die to determine the number of sides on a die to roll), but I think we are both agreeing on the same thing. As I have said, I have no formal training in any of this and perhaps N should be defined as aprocess and not a variable (if there is a difference [details for another thread]?).

The bottom line is that I now know what the log (or other functions) of discrete random variables are and that will be all from me.

Thank you all again for your help.