Logic Circuits and Truth Tables

In summary: In this case the input is called the "delta" input. So the expression for gate 4 would be, (A* (A' * C') * B') + (A * C * B) + (D*C)In summary, the equivalent expressions for circuits 1 and 2 are as follows: (B' + C) * A = (B' + C) * A' + (A* (A' * C') * B)(A* (A' * C') * B) + (A * C * B) = (A* (A' * C') * B') + (D*C)
gEOdude
Hey guys, I'm in a pickle with this question. Its really not my cup of tea, its a struggle factor really but I don't really have a choice whether I like it or not. A worked example such as this allows me to see what it is I need to do. If anyone can provide a helping hand it would assist me tons.View attachment 4301The questions is as follows: For each circuit write the equivalent logic expression, truth table showing the final output (O) for inputs (A,B and C) and find if these expressions give the same output (comparing the final output columns)?:confused:

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 79
Physics news on Phys.org
HELPMEHELPME said:
Hey guys, I'm in a pickle with this question. Its really not my cup of tea, its a struggle factor really but I don't really have a choice whether I like it or not. A worked example such as this allows me to see what it is I need to do. If anyone can provide a helping hand it would assist me tons.The questions is as follows: For each circuit write the equivalent logic expression, truth table showing the final output (O) for inputs (A,B and C) and find if these expressions give the same output (comparing the final output columns)?:confused:

Hi, :)

Welcome to MHB!

So first you have to find a logic expression for each circuit. For this you need to know what each component (gate) of the circuit outputs when given an input. I suggest trying to write the expression for the second circuit first since it might be a bit easier than the first.

In the second circuit you have three gates. A "NOT" gate, a "OR" gate and an "AND" gate. All you got to know is that,

1) "NOT" gates inverts the input. An input of '1' for a NOT gate would result in a '0' and an input of '0' would result in a '1'. So if the input is say $x$ we denote the output by $x'$ where $x'$ denote the opposite of $x$.

2) "OR" gates take two inputs and add then together. Basically this means if the two inputs are $x$ and $y$ the output will be $x+y$.

3) "AND" gates take two inputs and multiplies then together. Hence if the two inputs are $x$ and $y$ the output will be $xy$.

Using these you'll be able to write down the expression for the second circuit. We can do this step by step. What is inserted to gate number 1 (which is a NOT gate) is the input "B". Then what will be it's output? :)

Sudharaka said:
Hi, :)

Welcome to MHB!

So first you have to find a logic expression for each circuit. For this you need to know what each component (gate) of the circuit outputs when given an input. I suggest trying to write the expression for the second circuit first since it might be a bit easier than the first.

In the second circuit you have three gates. A "NOT" gate, a "OR" gate and an "AND" gate. All you got to know is that,

1) "NOT" gates inverts the input. An input of '1' for a NOT gate would result in a '0' and an input of '0' would result in a '1'. So if the input is say $x$ we denote the output by $x'$ where $x'$ denote the opposite of $x$.

2) "OR" gates take two inputs and add then together. Basically this means if the two inputs are $x$ and $y$ the output will be $x+y$.

3) "AND" gates take two inputs and multiplies then together. Hence if the two inputs are $x$ and $y$ the output will be $xy$.

Using these you'll be able to write down the expression for the second circuit. We can do this step by step. What is inserted to gate number 1 (which is a NOT gate) is the input "B". Then what will be it's output? :)

Is this right?: (B' + C) * A Circuit 2
(A* (A' * C') * B') + (A * C * B) Circuit 1

Truth table is a tricky one for me but I attempted them are they right is this what I am supposed to do.

View attachment 4307 (CIRCUIT 2)
View attachment 4308 (CIRCUIT 1)

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 2.0.gif
    2.0.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
HELPMEHELPME said:
Is this right?: (B' + C) * A Circuit 2
(A* (A' * C') * B') + (A * C * B) Circuit 1

Truth table is a tricky one for me but I attempted them are they right is this what I am supposed to do.

(CIRCUIT 2)
(CIRCUIT 1)

Great work. You have done everything almost correctly. :)

The only mistake I see is in the expression for circuit 1. Note that gate 4 in that circuit is a little different from the ones I mentioned. It's called a NAND gate. A "NAND" gate is basically a AND gate followed by a NOT. That is if the inputs to a NAND gate is say $x$ and $y$ it will output, $(xy)'$. That is it multiplies the inputs and then take the compliment.

So there's a little thing that should be corrected in your expression for circuit 1. And accordingly the truth table will also have to be changed. :)

Sudharaka said:
Great work. You have done everything almost correctly. :)

The only mistake I see is in the expression for circuit 1. Note that gate 4 in that circuit is a little different from the ones I mentioned. It's called a NAND gate. A "NAND" gate is basically a AND gate followed by a NOT. That is if the inputs to a NAND gate is say $x$ and $y$ it will output, $(xy)'$. That is it multiplies the inputs and then take the compliment.

So there's a little thing that should be corrected in your expression for circuit 1. And accordingly the truth table will also have to be changed. :)

Is this right: View attachment 4312 AND how do I compare do I just say that they are the same.

View attachment 4313

Attachments

• 2313.gif
    2313.gif
    1.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 2.2.gif
    2.2.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 77
HELPMEHELPME said:
Is this right: AND how do I compare do I just say that they are the same.

Please do not duplicate posts, just one reply would be more than enough as I get a notification for each of the threads I have subscribed. :)

What you have written in post #3 is almost correct. All you got to do is to take the compliment after you take the product for gate #4. That is the expression should be,

\[(A* (A' * C')' * B') + (A * C * B)\]

Note that since the inputs of gate 4 is $A'$ and $C'$ we have $(A'C')'$ as the output for that gate. Can you write the truth table for this?

Sudharaka said:
Please do not duplicate posts, just one reply would be more than enough as I get a notification for each of the threads I have subscribed. :)

What you have written in post #3 is almost correct. All you got to do is to take the compliment after you take the product for gate #4. That is the expression should be,

\[(A* (A' * C')' * B') + (A * C * B)\]

Note that since the inputs of gate 4 is $A'$ and $C'$ we have $(A'C')'$ as the output for that gate. Can you write the truth table for this?
This is what I got, is this right: View attachment 4317

Attachments

• 2.5.gif
    2.5.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
HELPMEHELPME said:
This is what I got, is this right:

Almost. Check the fourth row again. Everything else is correct. :)

I suppose the two circuits are supposed to be equal. Am I right? Is the equation that I have correct or do I have to change it. Is my table right now.

Attachments

• 2.5.gif
    2.5.gif
    6.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
HELPMEHELPME said:
I suppose the two circuits are supposed to be equal. Am I right? Is the equation that I have correct or do I have to change it. Is my table right now.

Great. Your table is correct now. Using Boolean logic it can be shown that the two circuits are in fact equivalent. Let us try to simplify the expression for the 1st circuit.

\[(A * (A' * C')' * B') + (A * C * B)\]

There's a law called the "De Morgan's law" which basically says,

\[(A * B)'=A'+B'\]

Using this we have,

\begin{eqnarray}
(A * (A' * C')' * B') + (A * C * B)&=&(A * (A+C) * B') + (A * C * B)\\
&=&(A * A * B')+(A * C * B')+(A * C * B)
\end{eqnarray}

Since \(A * A = A\) we have,

\[(A * (A' * C')' * B') + (A * C * B)= (A * B') + A * C * (B' + B)\]

Since \(B + B' = 1\) we have,

\[(A * (A' * C')' * B') + (A * C * B)= (A * B') + (A * C) = A * (B' + C)\]

So the two circuits are indeed equivalent. Even using the truth tables you can conclude that the two circuits are equivalent. :)

Related to Logic Circuits and Truth Tables

1. What is a logic circuit?

A logic circuit is an electronic circuit that uses logic gates to process and manipulate binary information. It consists of interconnected logic gates that perform specific operations on binary inputs to produce binary outputs.

2. What are the different types of logic gates?

There are seven basic types of logic gates: AND, OR, NOT, NAND, NOR, XOR, and XNOR. These gates can be combined in various ways to create more complex logic circuits.

3. How do truth tables work?

A truth table is a visual representation of the logical relationships between inputs and outputs in a logic circuit. It lists all possible combinations of input values and their corresponding output values, allowing us to determine the output for any given input combination.

4. What is the purpose of using a truth table?

A truth table is used to help us understand the logic behind a circuit and to test its functionality. It also helps in identifying and correcting errors in the circuit design.

5. Can logic circuits be used for other purposes besides computers?

Yes, logic circuits are used in a variety of electronic devices, such as calculators, cell phones, and automobiles. They can also be used in industrial control systems and in the design of electronic circuits for various applications.