Long division with zero to nine substitution

In summary, the conversation discusses a cryptarithmic long division problem where the letters F, N, A, and R are substituted by different digits from 0 to 9. The goal is to solve the problem without any of the letters representing the same digit and without any of them being 0. The problem involves multiple steps and requires careful consideration and logic to solve.
K Sengupta
Substitute the letters by a different digit from 0 to 9 to satisfy this cryptarithmic long division problem.

....N K T
...-------------------
F A R |...F R M N K B
...A K K N
...---------------------
..... A B I K
...AM O K
...---------------
.....R T I B
.....R A K T
...-------------
.....R A F

Note:

(i) None of F, N, A and R can be 0.

(ii) All the dots are posited with a view to facilitate the formatting, and none of the said dots represent decimal points, or correspond to any arithmetic operations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I think that as long as you state that none of the letters represent the *same* digit, you don't need to give the hint about which ones aren't 0. Figuring out which is 0 is pretty simple.

A = 2
B = 7
F = 3
I = 0
K = 8
M = 5
N = 9
O = 6
R = 1
T = 4

DaveE

I would recommend approaching this problem by breaking it down into smaller parts and using logic to find a solution. Here are some steps that could be followed:

1. Start by identifying which letters can potentially represent the same digit. For example, in the first line, N and K are both in the same position and could potentially represent the same digit.

2. Use the given restrictions to narrow down the possibilities. None of the letters F, N, A, and R can be 0, which means that these digits must be used in the remaining positions.

3. Use the fact that the division must be correct to eliminate some possibilities. For example, in the first line, if N and K represent the same digit, then the result of dividing F by N must be a whole number. This can help narrow down the possibilities for N and K.

4. Use trial and error to test different combinations and see if they satisfy the given equations. Keep in mind that some combinations may work for one equation, but not for the others. Keep refining the possibilities until a solution is found.

5. Use logic and patterns to find the solution. For example, in the third line, the result of dividing AM by O must be a whole number. This can help narrow down the possibilities for O.

Overall, this problem requires a combination of logical thinking, trial and error, and pattern recognition to find a solution. As a scientist, it is important to approach problems like this systematically and to use evidence and reasoning to support any conclusions.

FAQ: Long division with zero to nine substitution

1. What is long division with zero to nine substitution?

Long division with zero to nine substitution is a mathematical method of dividing large numbers by using a series of steps and substituting digits from zero to nine in place of the remainder.

2. How does long division with zero to nine substitution work?

Long division with zero to nine substitution works by breaking down a large number into smaller parts and repeatedly subtracting the divisor from the dividend until there is no remainder. Then, the quotient is found by substituting digits from zero to nine in place of the remainder.

3. When is long division with zero to nine substitution used?

Long division with zero to nine substitution is typically used when dividing large numbers that cannot be easily divided mentally or by traditional division methods. It is also useful for finding decimal remainders.

4. What are the steps involved in long division with zero to nine substitution?

The steps for long division with zero to nine substitution include dividing, multiplying, subtracting, bringing down, and repeating until there is no remainder. The final step is to substitute digits from zero to nine in place of the remainder to find the quotient.

5. Are there any tips for mastering long division with zero to nine substitution?

Some tips for mastering long division with zero to nine substitution include practicing regularly, using scrap paper to keep track of calculations, and checking your work by multiplying the quotient by the divisor and adding the remainder. It is also helpful to understand the basic principles of division and have a good understanding of multiplication tables.