Long-exposure mod for the quickcam

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker attempted a long-exposure modification for their camera to capture deep-sky images, but was unsuccessful and ended up purchasing a Meade Deep-Sky Imager. They have also been having trouble with tracking and using the Meade software. However, they have had some successful nights capturing images of Saturn and Jupiter, with and without moons, using wavelet processing to enhance details. They are still learning in this hobby and are excited to continue improving their skills.
russ_watters
Mentor
New Saturn from last Friday attached. Only marginally better quality, but it is twice the magnification (Barlow lens). That's about the magnification limit (400x or so) and light gathering limit of my scope with my quickcam. Sky's could be better though (over Xmas, I'll drive up to the Poconos...). The image was dim enough its starting to look grainy. I'm working on a long-exposure mod for the quickcam. You can't see anything at all deep-sky with it at 1/5 second exposures.

Attachments

• saturn4.jpg
    saturn4.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 573
Astronomy news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
I'm working on a long-exposure mod for the quickcam. You can't see anything at all deep-sky with it at 1/5 second exposures.
So, last night I attempted the mod. All I have to show for it is a burned finger and a stabbed thumb (and a broken camera). I'll try again tonight and if I fail, I guess I'll just get myself a Meade Deep-Sky Imager ($300).

russ_watters said:
So, last night I attempted the mod. All I have to show for it is a burned finger and a stabbed thumb (and a broken camera). I'll try again tonight and if I fail, I guess I'll just get myself a Meade Deep-Sky Imager ($300).

LoL. Damn. Welll your saturn pics are awesome. How'd the other night go for ya?

check said:
LoL. Damn. Welll your saturn pics are awesome. How'd the other night go for ya?
The pic in post 34 remains my best.

I bought a Deep-Sky Imager. Unfortunately, that means the skies have been pretty bad since except for Christmas day (and even then, the full moon washes it out). Also, again there is a learning curve. The attached mediocre pic of the Orion Nebula is all I have so far...

I had a prolific night last night. Attached are some highlights. Conditions were actually pretty bad (I could see the cirrus clouds with the naked eye), so I'm extremely happy with how the images came out - very good for how bad the conditions were. Hopefully, I'll get some clear skies and maybe go for a drive away from the city next week. And its probably time to get a website so I can post the full-sized images...

First and best is the Orion Nebula. Its a composite of about 50 images of varying exposures up to 45 sec. You can just barely see the dark, sweeping cloud on the right-hand third of the screen. Need darker skies!

Next is Saturn - no detail of the planet, but 4 moons (and a 7th magnitude star). ~40 images of 5-15 sec. You can see how hazy the sky was from how bright it is around Saturn - there should be more moons visible in the pic.

And, of course, a moon mosaic. Its 6 tiles, about 40 images each.

In the comet Macholtz thread, I posted a pic of the comet.

I got a portable power station for Christmas, and I've got an old laptop with broken hinges to use as a dummy terminal. A friend of mine has an apartment on a golf course (how cool is that!) and I can now leave the scope and a laptop out on the course and control it from inside, staying warm.

I'm having a couple of problems to work out:

-Tracking could be better with the scope. Or, rather, tracking is good, but it seems like every now and then it makes a small correction in RA, and that means only a third of my 45 second exposures look good. It may depend on how well its aligned, but I'm not sure. But if I could just make it stop doing the corrections, I could probably take 5 minute exposures before there would be noticeable trails.

-The Meade software isn't great and I'm having trouble figuring out how to get pictures of Saturn to come out. Maybe its a matter of drawing a small target box, but The contrast is too high and the disk is washed out.

Stiff learning curve with this hobby, but its rewarding...

Attachments

• Orion small.jpg
    Orion small.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 671
  • saturn moons small.jpg
    saturn moons small.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 643
  • moon small.jpg
    moon small.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 638
A couple of nights ago, I hit Jupiter and Saturn. Jupiter is only about 25 degrees up at 1:00am, so its still a little fuzzy, but I got some decent pics nonetheless.

Attached are 2 pics of each, one with moons, one without. That night the moons of both planets were nice enough to line themselves up close to their planets. The closeups of the planets are at the same scale, about 650x magnification (half of that, digital), which is twice the theoretical maximum for my telescope. The pics with the planets and moons are composites - a series of longer exposure pics to get the moons and a series of shorter ones to get the moons.

For Saturn, the moons are, from left to right, Titan, Rhea, Dione, and Tethys. Titan is about mag 8, the others about mag 10, so that's pushing the limits of my telescope for a short exposure. If you look close in the closeup, the outer ring is transluscent and you can see the planet through it.

For Jupiter, the moons are, from left to right, Ganymede, Europa, Io, and Callisto. Obviously, these are much brighter (mag 5-6), so they came out much better. You can just see the great red spot rotating away, left of center. I think the darker spot in the middle of that band is an artifact - I had some major dust problems on something.

Attachments

• saturn small.jpg
    saturn small.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 572
  • jupiter-moons-smalll.jpg
    jupiter-moons-smalll.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 603
  • saturn-moons-small.jpg
    saturn-moons-small.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 601
4th pic...

Attachments

• jupiter small.jpg
    jupiter small.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 641
russ_watters said:
4th pic...
Is the "rosey-red" color on these from using a filter or from processing??

Labguy said:
Is the "rosey-red" color on these from using a filter or from processing??
Wavelet processing. I may have overdone it a touch( :redface: ), but it does bring out the details.

edit: looking through my pics for a more natural color one, I found one that actually came out better. The color is the same, but it doesn't have the artifact in the middle. Hmm...gotta redo the composite now.

Annoying, but it seems that sometimes an hour's worth of stacking and processing doesn't give better results than a quickie auto-stack. Practice makes perfect though.

I'm having trouble with my scope too - I already mentioned the tracking issues, but another annoyance is the scope just doesn't like it when its cold. Twice now, I've been out in ~15F degree weather and each time the adhesive on the flip-mirror loses its stickinees and it falls off. I have to take apart the scope to put it back on. Gotta glue it this time... Relatively minor bugs, overall, though.

Attachments

• jupiter2.jpg
    jupiter2.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 520
  • jupiter composite2-small.jpg
    jupiter composite2-small.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:
Those are awesome, Russ. Keep 'em coming.

oh, if you're finding you have to scale the images for uploading to PF, try posting them at www.imageshack.us. It's free and really easy.

Anyway, my pics never turn out that great probably a combination of the telescope and digicam. Here's a stacked/processed image of saturn, you'll see what I mean: http://img239.exs.cx/img239/8819/sat0en.jpg

BUT, I think I'm going to get some instruction on the school's telescopes. Then I'll be able to use their 6" and 12" refractors w/ tracking. :) (The school also has a 1.2m reflector but they only let grad students use that. Go figure... :-p)

Oh yeah, I think this thread should allow image tags.

Fantastic images, Russ.

Russ, what scope do you use?

Zach_C said:
Russ, what scope do you use?
Its an ETX-105. The first half of the Saturn pics were taken with a Logitech Quickcam 4000, the rest with the Meade DSI.

FAQ: Long-exposure mod for the quickcam

1. What is a long-exposure mod for the quickcam?

A long-exposure mod for the quickcam is a modification that allows the camera to take photos with a longer exposure time than the default setting. This allows for capturing images in low light conditions or for creating light trails or starry sky photos.

2. How does the long-exposure mod work?

The long-exposure mod works by physically modifying the camera's hardware to override the default exposure time limit. This can involve soldering or wiring to bypass the camera's internal timer and allow for longer exposure times.

3. Is the long-exposure mod reversible?

Yes, the long-exposure mod can be reversible if done correctly. However, it is important to note that any modifications made to the camera may void its warranty.

4. Can any quickcam model be modded for long-exposure?

No, not all quickcam models are compatible with the long-exposure mod. It is important to research and make sure your specific model can be modified before attempting the mod.

5. Are there any risks associated with the long-exposure mod?

Yes, there are some risks involved with the long-exposure mod, such as damaging the camera if the mod is not done correctly. It is important to follow proper instructions and take caution when attempting the mod.