Look of trajectory of a material point

In summary, the trajectory of the movement described by the given data (x(t)=At2, y(t)=Bt, z(t)=0) lies entirely in the x-y plane and can be represented by the function y=B*√(x/A) or y=c√x, where c=B/√A. This can be derived by converting from parametric form to standard y(x) = ... form.
Chemist@

Homework Statement

A body is moving, with the following data (these are all dependencies of the radius vector components respective to time): x(t)=At2, A>0; y(t)=Bt, B>0, z(t)=0. How does the trajectory of this movement look?

Homework Equations

r=x(t)i+y(t)j+z(t)k
Velocity=dr/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

r=At2*i+Bt*j (i,j and r are vectors)
Velocity=2At*i+B*j
Intuitively I think that the trajectory would look like a logarithm function, but is it correct and how to prove it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since z(t)=0 for all t the trajectory must lie entirely in the x-y plane. Did you try to sketch the trajectory? Pick arbitrary values for A and B and plot a few points. Alternatively, find y as a function of x and comment on the type of function it represents.

You may know already a type of motion which satisfies similar conditions.

I thought that it would look similar to y=log(x). Correct?

Chemist@ said:
I thought that it would look similar to y=log(x). Correct?
Similar it may be, but you can find the actual equation by converting from parametric form to standard y(x) = ... form.

Is it y=B*sqrt(x/A)?

Chemist@ said:
Is it y=B*sqrt(x/A)?
Yup. Or if you combine the constants, ##y = c\sqrt{x}## .

Related to Look of trajectory of a material point

1. What is the definition of "trajectory"?

Trajectory refers to the path or curve followed by an object as it moves through space or time.

2. How is the trajectory of a material point calculated?

The trajectory of a material point can be calculated using equations of motion, such as Newton's laws of motion, which take into account the initial position, velocity, and acceleration of the point.

3. What factors can affect the trajectory of a material point?

The trajectory of a material point can be affected by forces acting on it, such as gravity, air resistance, and friction. Other factors, such as initial velocity and angle of launch, can also impact the trajectory.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its trajectory?

The shape of an object can affect its aerodynamics and air resistance, which can alter its trajectory. Objects with a more streamlined shape tend to experience less air resistance and therefore have a more predictable trajectory.

5. Can the trajectory of a material point change during motion?

Yes, the trajectory of a material point can change if there are external forces acting on it, or if there are changes in the conditions of motion, such as air density or surface friction. This can result in a curved or non-uniform trajectory.

Back