Looking at diffraction gratings .

• Thread starter qazxsw11111
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffraction
In summary, the question is about the angle between the emerging zero order and second order spectra when monochromatic light is incident on a diffraction grating with alternate opaque and transparent strips. The formula dsinθ=nλ is used to solve for the angle, but there may be a problem in understanding the slit separation, which is calculated from the center of each slit. The correct answer is sin^-1 2l/(a+b) where a and b are the widths of the opaque and transparent strips respectively.
qazxsw11111
Looking at diffraction gratings...

Ok, so I got a question in my assignment.

Monochromatic light of wavelength l is incident normally on a diffraction grating consisting of alternate opaque strips of width a and transparent strips of width b. The angle between the emerging zero order and second order spectra is given by?

So I assumed that the slit separation is given by a since transparent strips (i assumed) is like those empty slits and slit separation is opaque.

So I tried dsinθ=nλ. But my ans is sin^-1 2l/a.
But the answer given is sin^-1 2l / (a+b)

Is there a problem in my understanding of the question?

EDIT: Is it because slit separation is calculated from the centre of each slit. Thus, the two 1/2 b will add together to get b, leading to slit separation a+b?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi qazxsw11111! :smile:
qazxsw11111 said:
EDIT: Is it because slit separation is calculated from the centre of each slit. Thus, the two 1/2 b will add together to get b, leading to slit separation a+b?

Yup! :biggrin:

Yes, your understanding of the question is incorrect. The slit separation in this case is not just a, but rather a+b since it includes both the opaque and transparent strips. This is because the diffraction gratings consist of alternate opaque and transparent strips, so the overall slit separation is the sum of both widths. Therefore, the correct formula to use would be dsinθ=nλ, where d is the slit separation of a+b. This would give you the correct answer of sin^-1 2l/(a+b).

FAQ: Looking at diffraction gratings .

What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is an optical device that consists of a large number of closely spaced parallel grooves or slits on a surface, which cause light to diffract and produce a spectrum.

What is the purpose of using diffraction gratings?

Diffraction gratings are commonly used in scientific instruments such as spectrometers to produce a spectrum of light, which can be used to analyze the composition of a sample or determine the wavelength of light.

How do diffraction gratings work?

Diffraction gratings work by causing light waves to interfere with each other as they pass through the parallel slits or grooves, resulting in a pattern of bright and dark spots known as a diffraction pattern. The spacing of the grooves determines the pattern and helps to separate the different wavelengths of light.

What factors affect the diffraction pattern produced by a diffraction grating?

The main factors that affect the diffraction pattern include the spacing of the grooves, the wavelength of light, and the angle of incidence of the light on the grating. The number of grooves per unit length also plays a role in the resolution of the diffraction pattern.

What are some common applications of diffraction gratings?

Diffraction gratings have a wide range of applications in various fields such as spectroscopy, telecommunications, astronomy, and laser technology. They are commonly used in research laboratories, industrial settings, and even consumer products such as DVD players and barcode scanners.